Highway Driving Practices

Than they need to stay in the slow lane.
Remember that the next time your local store is out of something you want.

Never have that problem.
You must be the luckest SOB in the world then.

Or a liar.

Well first of all it would be impossible to prove I didnt receive a package or it wasnt in stock because a trucker decided not to block the fast lane.
And second this isnt the 70's when truckers had somewhat of a cult following.
In fact to pretend they are hero's of some sort is kind of ridiculous.
Do I appreciate the job they do? Sure,but no more so than the guy who fixes my A/C in August.
And the A/C guy didnt get drunk and kill 3 people and injure a child driving intoxicated while hauling a load of lumber like happened last week here in Texas.

Get off your high horse.
As a "trucker, I am on no "high horse", I am simply explaining to you how things work, and defending my fellow "truckers". Try being a little more thoughtful in your life, you would be suprised at how far it will go.

And there are truckers out there that dont desrve your support,and thats a fact.

I think a lot of people have tunnel vision - they never check their mirrors, they're absolutely oblivious to anything or anyone around them ... they have the ONLY vehicle on the road and, by God, that road belongs to THEM!! Then you have the ones who are laid way back in the driver's seat, doing maybe 90-95, weaving in and out of traffic ... I just automatically assume they're running drugs and need to get from "here" to "there" in record time.

I'm a lot less afraid of truckers than I am of people in cars - rather travel with truckers anytime. I have a general knowledge of what they're likely to do, whereas with someone in a car there's no telling what the hell they're likely to do. I try to be courteous to truckers - flash my lights to let them know they have safely cleared my vehicle and have room to get in front of me ... sometimes they flash me a "thank you" ... sometimes not. I think dispatchers figure it's six hours from "here" to "there" and they give truckers six hours to get there ... never mind they might be snarled up or stopped in traffic for three of those six hours. I don't know. Those things are bigger and heavier than I am ... therefore I try to be as little problem as possible.
I think I speak for most of the Heavy Truck Drivers out there when I say, "Thank you, we do appreciate it." Far too many people seem to think that we are just another obstacle in their way. In reality, we are just trying to do our jobs. The only difference is, our "office" is mobile and can weigh in over 10X that of a pick-up.
Just remember, the next time you attempt to "bully" a truck driver (as he/she laughs hysterically at your arrogance), they won't feel much when they run you over. The truck will likely drive away, you will likely go to the emergency room, if you're lucky, if not, the morgue.

I like what they do on hwy 290 in Houston.
No 18 wheelers allowed in the left lane.
Not familiar with that road, but I am familiar with the concept. Do you understand why they do that, or do you just not think that far through things?

Of course I know why they did it.
It's to ease congestion.
That's part of it, do you know the rest? I'll give you a hint, The DOT's primary objective is safety on the roadway.

It reduces variants in speed caused crashes no
And the A/C guy didnt get drunk and kill 3 people and injure a child driving intoxicated while hauling a load of lumber like happened last week here in Texas.
So, your pissed off at ALL truckers because one person was irresponsible? How quaint.

Who said I was pissed of at all of em?

I don't care how fast or slow any driver travels; I'm just suggesting that they should be considerate. There are roads where my normal 70mph is slower than the major flow of traffic, and I stay in the right lane unless I am actively passing someone. And if it's taking a long time to pass them and I'm holding up people behind me, I accelerate to get past the car I'm overtaking. Is that asking too much?
The major flow of traffic? If the speed limit is 55, and the "flow" is doing 65...? Realistically, I will stay in the far right lane unless passing. Following all the rules, INCLUDING the speed limit, is an obligation we all have. But, I have seen people deliberately camp in the passing lane for miles doing 5 MPH under the speed limit as if they are some kind of speed vigilante, or they are just totally out of touch.

I don't care how fast or slow any driver travels; I'm just suggesting that they should be considerate. There are roads where my normal 70mph is slower than the major flow of traffic, and I stay in the right lane unless I am actively passing someone. And if it's taking a long time to pass them and I'm holding up people behind me, I accelerate to get past the car I'm overtaking. Is that asking too much?
The major flow of traffic? If the speed limit is 55, and the "flow" is doing 65...? Realistically, I will stay in the far right lane unless passing. Following all the rules, INCLUDING the speed limit, is an obligation we all have. But, I have seen people deliberately camp in the passing lane for miles doing 5 MPH under the speed limit as if they are some kind of speed vigilante, or they are just totally out of touch.

Could be a little bit of both ... however, in some states they're also breaking the law. There are "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs posted in many places and not just on Interstates. Where I am, people are just nuts - they just go down the road drilled in on the car in front of them and pay no attention whatsoever to speed limit signs. And the thing that really makes me crazy is that they don't know how to make left hand turns - they whiz by making left hand arcs - just local driving habits. I learned real quickly to stop my car WELL behind white lines and stop signs in an attempt to keep the front end of my car from being torn off.

Still missing the real reason.
When some numbnuts causes a crash, the safest place to be is in the right lane, that way you've got somewhere to go when the jerk-off behind you doesn't see your brake lights because he/she is texting/eating/adjusting their seat/bitching at the kids/being generally distracted.

When some numbnuts causes a crash, the safest place to be is in the right lane, that way you've got somewhere to go when the jerk-off behind you doesn't see your brake lights because he/she is texting/eating/adjusting their seat/bitching at the kids/being generally distracted.

According to TDT they did it for congestion,and that it keeps down accidents due to speed changes in the flow of traffic.

According to TDT they did it for congestion,and that it keeps down accidents due to speed changes in the flow of traffic.
If one digs a little deeper than the surface, one would realize that their statement is quite in line with mine. If one dug beneath the surface...

If one digs a little deeper than the surface, one would realize that their statement is quite in line with mine. If one dug beneath the surface...

Than why did you try and correct me?

I have done three 1,000+ mile driving legs over the past month. It could be my imagination, but I'm seeing more and more drivers who apparently couldn't care less if they are holding up traffic, sometimes for MILES. You will see a car or truck overtaking another vehicle, and basically going the same speed. This is both private citizens and OTR truckers.

You also have people who totally ignore the concept of a "passing" lane. They drive in the left lane permanently.

I'm not sure this is much of a safety problem, but it's inconsider a te as hell.

If I see that I'm holding up traffic, I accelerate to get around the cars beside me, and get out of the passing lane. Nothing but (un)common courtesy,.

Other viewpoints?
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but it bears repeating if it has.
I would add to that:
  • Excessive speed (more than 5MPH over the speed limit)
  • Distracted driving (texting is somewhere around 4X more dangerous than drunk driving)
  • Tailgating
  • Cutting people off- thus forcing them into a tailgate situation, if only temporarily
I find these things to not only be dis-courteous, but also very dangerous.

Than why did you try and correct me?
Not correcting you, giving you the WHOLE truth, and reasoning behind the regulation.

I have done three 1,000+ mile driving legs over the past month. It could be my imagination, but I'm seeing more and more drivers who apparently couldn't care less if they are holding up traffic, sometimes for MILES. You will see a car or truck overtaking another vehicle, and basically going the same speed. This is both private citizens and OTR truckers.

You also have people who totally ignore the concept of a "passing" lane. They drive in the left lane permanently.

I'm not sure this is much of a safety problem, but it's inconsider a te as hell.

If I see that I'm holding up traffic, I accelerate to get around the cars beside me, and get out of the passing lane. Nothing but (un)common courtesy,.

Other viewpoints?

It depends on where you are. Ohio in general seems to have the largest number of poor drivers in my experience. Montana the best.

Other viewpoints?
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but it bears repeating if it has.
I would add to that:
  • Distracted driving (texting is somewhere around 4X more dangerous than drunk driving)
  • Tailgating
  • Cutting people off- thus forcing them into a tailgate situation, if only temporarily

I disagree on the speeding thing. I regularly drive 10 to 15 mph over the posted limit. Of course I am a very good driver and i don't do that in residential or other congested areas, only out on the open roads.

Other viewpoints?

It depends on where you are. Ohio in general seems to have the largest number of poor drivers in my experience. Montana the best.

Try driving my neighborhood!!!
I have never in my life seen such inept drivers than soccer moms.
It's insane,there are accidents in 35 mph zones here constantly and invariably it's two women involved driving Beamers,Mercedes,Escalades or one of the other upper end vehicles.
It's like these peoples sense of entitlement translates to the rules of the road and you should just get the hell out of their way.

Other viewpoints?

Try driving my neighborhood!!!
I have never in my life seen such inept drivers than soccer moms.
It's insane,there are accidents in 35 mph zones here constantly and invariably it's two women involved driving Beamers,Mercedes,Escalades or one of the other upper end vehicles.
It's like these peoples sense of entitlement translates to the rules of the road and you should just get the hell out of their way.

The only time I see lots of problems are when it snows and the SUV drivers zoom up from California. They seem to think that because they are in a big vehicle they are exempt from the Laws of Physics. They aren't!
jeep03.jpg

Other viewpoints?
I would add to that:
  • Tailgating

I disagree on the speeding thing. I regularly drive 10 to 15 mph over the posted limit. Of course I am a very good driver and i don't do that in residential or other congested areas, only out on the open roads.
Everyone is a "very good driver", if you ask them. The posted speed limit is there for a reason, it's not just a suggestion. Did you know:
"Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The
economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be
$40.4 billion per year. In 2007, speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all
fatal crashes, and 13,040 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes.
The total economic cost of crashes was estimated at $230.6 billion in 2000. Motor
vehicle crashes cost society an estimated $7,300 per second. In 2000, the cost of
speeding-related crashes was estimated to be $40.4 billion — $76,865 per minute or
$1,281 per second." NHTSA
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/810998.pdf
Is your time really worth THAT much?

Other viewpoints?
I would add to that:
  • Tailgating

Everyone is a "very good driver", if you ask them. The posted speed limit is there for a reason, it's not just a suggestion. Did you know:
"Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The
economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be
$40.4 billion per year. In 2007, speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all
The total economic cost of crashes was estimated at $230.6 billion in 2000. Motor
vehicle crashes cost society an estimated $7,300 per second. In 2000, the cost of
speeding-related crashes was estimated to be $40.4 billion — $76,865 per minute or

But driving slower than the flow of traffic causes more accidents.
Driving Slow in the Left Lane is Dumb and Illegal

Other viewpoints?
I would add to that:
  • Tailgating

That may be true, but the consequences of those accidents are lessened with lower speed. If you want to go 10-15 over the speed limit, fine, just know I won't. I don't really care if I impeed the flow or not, I will not break the law.

Other viewpoints?
I would add to that:
  • Tailgating

That may be true, but the consequences of those accidents are lessened with lower speed. If you want to go 10-15 over the speed limit, fine, just know I won't. I don't really care if I impeed the flow or not, I will not break the law.

Impeding traffic is against the law.
Georgia just passed this law and other states are expected to follow suite.
Hundreds of drivers ticketed under new "Slow Poke Law"

Other viewpoints?
I would add to that:
  • Tailgating

I have attended multiple racing schools, used to race when I was a younger man, and I still own and drive a 200 mph+ race car. I KNOW how, and more importantly when, to drive safely at very high speed. I'm also a pilot so I have no problem living at a high rate of speed. More importantly still, I know how to deal with, and avoid those who don't. The only accident I have ever been in was on a dark stretch of road when a car, driven by an illegal alien, lost a wheel which crossed over the center divider and slammed into the front of my vehicle. I spotted it at the last instant, but was able to ensure a center of my vehicle hit which prevented a rollover.

You would have probably not seen it, and would have suffered accordingly.

Forum List

Back