Highway Driving Practices

I have done three 1,000+ mile driving legs over the past month. It could be my imagination, but I'm seeing more and more drivers who apparently couldn't care less if they are holding up traffic, sometimes for MILES. You will see a car or truck overtaking another vehicle, and basically going the same speed. This is both private citizens and OTR truckers.

You also have people who totally ignore the concept of a "passing" lane. They drive in the left lane permanently.

I'm not sure this is much of a safety problem, but it's inconsider a te as hell.

If I see that I'm holding up traffic, I accelerate to get around the cars beside me, and get out of the passing lane. Nothing but (un)common courtesy,.

Other viewpoints?
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but it bears repeating if it has.
I would add to that:
  • Excessive speed (more than 5MPH over the speed limit)
  • Distracted driving (texting is somewhere around 4X more dangerous than drunk driving)
  • Tailgating
  • Cutting people off- thus forcing them into a tailgate situation, if only temporarily
I find these things to not only be dis-courteous, but also very dangerous.

I disagree on the speeding thing. I regularly drive 10 to 15 mph over the posted limit. Of course I am a very good driver and i don't do that in residential or other congested areas, only out on the open roads.
Everyone is a "very good driver", if you ask them. The posted speed limit is there for a reason, it's not just a suggestion. Did you know:
"Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The
economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be
$40.4 billion per year. In 2007, speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all
fatal crashes, and 13,040 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes.
The total economic cost of crashes was estimated at $230.6 billion in 2000. Motor
vehicle crashes cost society an estimated $7,300 per second. In 2000, the cost of
speeding-related crashes was estimated to be $40.4 billion — $76,865 per minute or
$1,281 per second." NHTSA
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/810998.pdf
Is your time really worth THAT much?

But driving slower than the flow of traffic causes more accidents.
Driving Slow in the Left Lane is Dumb and Illegal
That may be true, but the consequences of those accidents are lessened with lower speed. If you want to go 10-15 over the speed limit, fine, just know I won't. I don't really care if I impeed the flow or not, I will not break the law.

That can be true in most, but not all instances.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but it bears repeating if it has.
I would add to that:
  • Distracted driving (texting is somewhere around 4X more dangerous than drunk driving)
  • Tailgating
  • Cutting people off- thus forcing them into a tailgate situation, if only temporarily

I disagree on the speeding thing. I regularly drive 10 to 15 mph over the posted limit. Of course I am a very good driver and i don't do that in residential or other congested areas, only out on the open roads.
Everyone is a "very good driver", if you ask them. The posted speed limit is there for a reason, it's not just a suggestion. Did you know:
"Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The
economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be
$40.4 billion per year. In 2007, speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all
The total economic cost of crashes was estimated at $230.6 billion in 2000. Motor
vehicle crashes cost society an estimated $7,300 per second. In 2000, the cost of
speeding-related crashes was estimated to be $40.4 billion — $76,865 per minute or

That may be true, but the consequences of those accidents are lessened with lower speed. If you want to go 10-15 over the speed limit, fine, just know I won't. I don't really care if I impeed the flow or not, I will not break the law.

Impeding traffic is against the law.
Georgia just passed this law and other states are expected to follow suite.
Hundreds of drivers ticketed under new "Slow Poke Law"
If obeying the speed limit is "impeeding traffic", then I'll take take my chances in court.

I have done three 1,000+ mile driving legs over the past month. It could be my imagination, but I'm seeing more and more drivers who apparently couldn't care less if they are holding up traffic, sometimes for MILES. You will see a car or truck overtaking another vehicle, and basically going the same speed. This is both private citizens and OTR truckers.

You also have people who totally ignore the concept of a "passing" lane. They drive in the left lane permanently.

I'm not sure this is much of a safety problem, but it's inconsider a te as hell.

If I see that I'm holding up traffic, I accelerate to get around the cars beside me, and get out of the passing lane. Nothing but (un)common courtesy,.

Other viewpoints?
I would add to that:
  • Tailgating

I have attended multiple racing schools, used to race when I was a younger man, and I still own and drive a 200 mph+ race car. I KNOW how, and more importantly when, to drive safely at very high speed. I'm also a pilot so I have no problem living at a high rate of speed. More importantly still, I know how to deal with, and avoid those who don't. The only accident I have ever been in was on a dark stretch of road when a car, driven by an illegal alien, lost a wheel which crossed over the center divider and slammed into the front of my vehicle. I spotted it at the last instant, but was able to ensure a center of my vehicle hit which prevented a rollover.

You would have probably not seen it, and would have suffered accordingly.
You, of all people, should know then that racing at high speeds is very different than driving at high speeds on a public road. Shame on you for not practicing due caution, you should know better.

If obeying the speed limit is "impeeding traffic", then I'll take take my chances in court.

And you'll lose.

Other viewpoints?
I would add to that:
  • Tailgating

I have attended multiple racing schools, used to race when I was a younger man, and I still own and drive a 200 mph+ race car. I KNOW how, and more importantly when, to drive safely at very high speed. I'm also a pilot so I have no problem living at a high rate of speed. More importantly still, I know how to deal with, and avoid those who don't. The only accident I have ever been in was on a dark stretch of road when a car, driven by an illegal alien, lost a wheel which crossed over the center divider and slammed into the front of my vehicle. I spotted it at the last instant, but was able to ensure a center of my vehicle hit which prevented a rollover.

You, of all people, should know then that racing at high speeds is very different than driving at high speeds on a public road. Shame on you for not practicing due caution, you should know better.

I do know. And, I am well aware of when it is safe to speed as well. Most of the time this is the type of road I am driving on. Care to point out the traffic I supposedly have to deal with? And, for the record this is what this road usually looks like. It's not called the "Loneliest Highway" for nothing! So, in this case, no the drive is very similar to that I have on a racetrack. Except it's straight!

US_50_in_Northern_Nevada_(img_6439)__148_20100513.jpg
Us_route_50_nevada.jpg
64976547.jpg

I would add to that:
  • Tailgating

I do know. And, I am well aware of when it is safe to speed as well. Most of the time this is the type of road I am driving on. Care to point out the traffic I supposedly have to deal with? And, for the record this is what this road usually looks like. It's not called the "Loneliest Highway" for nothing! So, in this case, no the drive is very similar to that I have on a racetrack. Except it's straight!

Us_route_50_nevada.jpg
64976547.jpg
I used to live near there! Joshua trees HURT! LOL Love Nevada, hard to not speed, I know, but it's still the safe way to go. Next time maybe you should go 100, or faster, knock yourself out. I really don't care, just don't whine and cry when you wreck. Oh, wait, you wouldn't do that because you'd be dead.

And you'll lose.
Maybe, matbe not, but I'll live to drive another day...

Us_route_50_nevada.jpg
64976547.jpg
I used to live near there! Joshua trees HURT! LOL Love Nevada, hard to not speed, I know, but it's still the safe way to go. Next time maybe you should go 100, or faster, knock yourself out. I really don't care, just don't whine and cry when you wreck. Oh, wait, you wouldn't do that because you'd be dead.

I actually got a ticket for doing 125 on the stretch between Eureka and Austin a few years ago. Of course it was written up as a "wasting energy" ticket so only cost me 100 bucks. And no, I won't crash either. Because I know how to drive fast, have a great car, and keep it properly maintained. You see, unlike you infants, I understand that to drive fast I have responsibilities to follow. When I do my job my car works great. When my car doesn't work great (for whatever reason) I don't drive it fast.....because it is not safe.

Do you understand now?

And you'll lose.

Maybe. Slow drivers get killed all of the time. It's not always the speed. Sometimes it's how the crash evolves.

And you'll lose.

What about the people you kill by driving to slow in the fast lane and causing accidents?
Which of course is what the new law is aimed at stopping.

I don't care how fast or slow any driver travels; I'm just suggesting that they should be considerate. There are roads where my normal 70mph is slower than the major flow of traffic, and I stay in the right lane unless I am actively passing someone. And if it's taking a long time to pass them and I'm holding up people behind me, I accelerate to get past the car I'm overtaking. Is that asking too much?
Consider this, most, if not all, CMVs have governors on them to limit engine and/or vehicle speed. These are generally set between 60MPH and around 70MPH or so. So that trucker that is pissing you off by not exceeding 67MPH when passing someone going 65MPH, may not be able to go faster. Also, many OTR companies give bonuses for fuel economy, so they may just be trying to put more food on the table for their family. Yes, they could just slow down, or you could just learn a little patience. As for the regular passenger vehicles, I agree, though they have just as much right as you to leave their cruise on and let it do it's job. Point is, none of these people are trying to piss anyone off, they are just trying to get from point A to point B, just like you. So cut them some slack, and just be patient... None of this will matter in a week, you will have gotten to where you were going and moved on with your life.
Side bar:
My commute is roughly 23 miles. The speed limit is 65MPH. The difference in the time it takes going 65, versus 70 is about 90 seconds. So for the speed difference to have a five minute effect on your day, you would have to be going just under 77 miles. Just a little something to keep in mind the next time you get stuck behind someone going slower than you would like.
If none of these people are trying to piss you off then they shouldn't be in the left hand lane.

And you'll lose.

What about the people you kill by driving to slow in the fast lane and causing accidents?

Gatekeepers don't care about other people. That's the problem. They are selfish to an extreme. I would love it if they passed that sort of law here. Driving in Vegas is miserable because of these 'tards.

And you'll lose.

Gatekeepers don't care about other people. That's the problem. They are selfish to an extreme. I would love it if they passed that sort of law here. Driving in Vegas is miserable because of these 'tards.

I love the signs in Texas...."Slower traffic keep right"

Us_route_50_nevada.jpg
64976547.jpg

I actually got a ticket for doing 125 on the stretch between Eureka and Austin a few years ago. Of course it was written up as a "wasting energy" ticket so only cost me 100 bucks. And no, I won't crash either. Because I know how to drive fast, have a great car, and keep it properly maintained. You see, unlike you infants, I understand that to drive fast I have responsibilities to follow. When I do my job my car works great. When my car doesn't work great (for whatever reason) I don't drive it fast.....because it is not safe.

Do you understand now?
I understand you are an arrogant, fool. That is all you will ever be able to convince me of at this point. Apparently in your world you never get defective tires, metal never stresses to failure, and all potential hazards in the road are seen. In the real world, these simply are not true. If this makes me an "infant" then I happily accept the title.

And you'll lose.

Maybe. Slow drivers get killed all of the time. It's not always the speed. Sometimes it's how the crash evolves.
True, but at lower speeds I have a much better chance of avoiding the crash, and when I am involved, a much better chance of survival.

And you'll lose.

Show me one case where someone caused an accident by going too slow. And I don't want to hear about how it's the slow drivers fault when someone fails to realise they need to slow down until it is too late. That is not the slower drivers fault.

I don't care how fast or slow any driver travels; I'm just suggesting that they should be considerate. There are roads where my normal 70mph is slower than the major flow of traffic, and I stay in the right lane unless I am actively passing someone. And if it's taking a long time to pass them and I'm holding up people behind me, I accelerate to get past the car I'm overtaking. Is that asking too much?
Consider this, most, if not all, CMVs have governors on them to limit engine and/or vehicle speed. These are generally set between 60MPH and around 70MPH or so. So that trucker that is pissing you off by not exceeding 67MPH when passing someone going 65MPH, may not be able to go faster. Also, many OTR companies give bonuses for fuel economy, so they may just be trying to put more food on the table for their family. Yes, they could just slow down, or you could just learn a little patience. As for the regular passenger vehicles, I agree, though they have just as much right as you to leave their cruise on and let it do it's job. Point is, none of these people are trying to piss anyone off, they are just trying to get from point A to point B, just like you. So cut them some slack, and just be patient... None of this will matter in a week, you will have gotten to where you were going and moved on with your life.
Side bar:
My commute is roughly 23 miles. The speed limit is 65MPH. The difference in the time it takes going 65, versus 70 is about 90 seconds. So for the speed difference to have a five minute effect on your day, you would have to be going just under 77 miles. Just a little something to keep in mind the next time you get stuck behind someone going slower than you would like.
If none of these people are trying to piss you off then they shouldn't be in the left hand lane.
Excuse me? If I drive slower than you in the left lane I am, automatically, trying to piss you off? In what alternate reality do you live? Gow up.

And you'll lose.

Show me one case where someone caused an accident by going too slow. And I don't want to hear about how it's the slow drivers fault when someone fails to realise they need to slow down until it is too late. That is not the slower drivers fault.

So you're telling me they passed a law to keep slow drivers out of the fast lane for safety reasons,yet there havent been any crashes due to slow drivers in the fast lane?
Are you really saying that?

And you'll lose.

So you're telling me they passed a law to keep slow drivers out of the fast lane for safety reasons,yet there havent been any crashes due to slow drivers in the fast lane?
Take a reading comprehention course, re-read my post, then ask any questions you may have. Good day.

And you'll lose.

Take a reading comprehention course, re-read my post, then ask any questions you may have. Good day.

Slow drivers in the fast lane cause accidents.
They wouldnt have passed a law to curtail the practice if they didnt.
It's really that simple.

Forum List

Back