Highway Driving Practices

Maybe, matbe not, but I'll live to drive another day...

What about the people you kill by driving to slow in the fast lane and causing accidents?
Which of course is what the new law is aimed at stopping.
Show me one case where someone caused an accident by going too slow. And I don't want to hear about how it's the slow drivers fault when someone fails to realise they need to slow down until it is too late. That is not the slower drivers fault.

So you're telling me they passed a law to keep slow drivers out of the fast lane for safety reasons,yet there havent been any crashes due to slow drivers in the fast lane?
Are you really saying that?
Take a reading comprehention course, re-read my post, then ask any questions you may have. Good day.

Slow drivers in the fast lane cause accidents.
They wouldnt have passed a law to curtail the practice if they didnt.
It's really that simple.
Done with the reading comprehention course already? That was quick.

I have attended multiple racing schools, used to race when I was a younger man, and I still own and drive a 200 mph+ race car. I KNOW how, and more importantly when, to drive safely at very high speed. I'm also a pilot so I have no problem living at a high rate of speed. More importantly still, I know how to deal with, and avoid those who don't. The only accident I have ever been in was on a dark stretch of road when a car, driven by an illegal alien, lost a wheel which crossed over the center divider and slammed into the front of my vehicle. I spotted it at the last instant, but was able to ensure a center of my vehicle hit which prevented a rollover.

You would have probably not seen it, and would have suffered accordingly.
You, of all people, should know then that racing at high speeds is very different than driving at high speeds on a public road. Shame on you for not practicing due caution, you should know better.

I do know. And, I am well aware of when it is safe to speed as well. Most of the time this is the type of road I am driving on. Care to point out the traffic I supposedly have to deal with? And, for the record this is what this road usually looks like. It's not called the "Loneliest Highway" for nothing! So, in this case, no the drive is very similar to that I have on a racetrack. Except it's straight!

US_50_in_Northern_Nevada_(img_6439)__148_20100513.jpg
Us_route_50_nevada.jpg
64976547.jpg
I used to live near there! Joshua trees HURT! LOL Love Nevada, hard to not speed, I know, but it's still the safe way to go. Next time maybe you should go 100, or faster, knock yourself out. I really don't care, just don't whine and cry when you wreck. Oh, wait, you wouldn't do that because you'd be dead.

I actually got a ticket for doing 125 on the stretch between Eureka and Austin a few years ago. Of course it was written up as a "wasting energy" ticket so only cost me 100 bucks. And no, I won't crash either. Because I know how to drive fast, have a great car, and keep it properly maintained. You see, unlike you infants, I understand that to drive fast I have responsibilities to follow. When I do my job my car works great. When my car doesn't work great (for whatever reason) I don't drive it fast.....because it is not safe.

Do you understand now?
I understand you are an arrogant, fool. That is all you will ever be able to convince me of at this point. Apparently in your world you never get defective tires, metal never stresses to failure, and all potential hazards in the road are seen. In the real world, these simply are not true. If this makes me an "infant" then I happily accept the title.

I change my tires every 2500 miles or less depending on wear. That's 2,000 bucks every year, just on tires. On this road yes, all hazards are seen. Before I ever do a high speed run I first drive the route to check road conditions. No, metal never stresses to failure unless you do something wrong. Engines and drive train are a different matter, but the tub of the car is as solid now, as it was when it was first made over 50 years ago. Actually stronger because I stiffened it about 25 years ago.

So yes, you are an infant. You assume I am a moron who isn't aware of the world around me. That is untrue and I pay a great deal of money every year to keep my car in tip top shape. And then I like to drive it. HARD!

You, of all people, should know then that racing at high speeds is very different than driving at high speeds on a public road. Shame on you for not practicing due caution, you should know better.

I do know. And, I am well aware of when it is safe to speed as well. Most of the time this is the type of road I am driving on. Care to point out the traffic I supposedly have to deal with? And, for the record this is what this road usually looks like. It's not called the "Loneliest Highway" for nothing! So, in this case, no the drive is very similar to that I have on a racetrack. Except it's straight!

Us_route_50_nevada.jpg
64976547.jpg
I used to live near there! Joshua trees HURT! LOL Love Nevada, hard to not speed, I know, but it's still the safe way to go. Next time maybe you should go 100, or faster, knock yourself out. I really don't care, just don't whine and cry when you wreck. Oh, wait, you wouldn't do that because you'd be dead.

I actually got a ticket for doing 125 on the stretch between Eureka and Austin a few years ago. Of course it was written up as a "wasting energy" ticket so only cost me 100 bucks. And no, I won't crash either. Because I know how to drive fast, have a great car, and keep it properly maintained. You see, unlike you infants, I understand that to drive fast I have responsibilities to follow. When I do my job my car works great. When my car doesn't work great (for whatever reason) I don't drive it fast.....because it is not safe.

Do you understand now?
I understand you are an arrogant, fool. That is all you will ever be able to convince me of at this point. Apparently in your world you never get defective tires, metal never stresses to failure, and all potential hazards in the road are seen. In the real world, these simply are not true. If this makes me an "infant" then I happily accept the title.

I change my tires every 2500 miles or less depending on wear. That's 2,000 bucks every year, just on tires. On this road yes, all hazards are seen. Before I ever do a high speed run I first drive the route to check road conditions. No, metal never stresses to failure unless you do something wrong. Engines and drive train are a different matter, but the tub of the car is as solid now, as it was when it was first made over 50 years ago. Actually stronger because I stiffened it about 25 years ago.

So yes, you are an infant. You assume I am a moron who isn't aware of the world around me. That is untrue and I pay a great deal of money every year to keep my car in tip top shape. And then I like to drive it. HARD!
Really? You are going to continue the juvenile tactic of name calling, and have the nerve to call ME an infant. WOW. Just WOW. What more can I say.
And yes, if you are driving a pure race car on public highways, you are a moron. But that's just my opinion. Your local LEO and Judge may see things differently....

Us_route_50_nevada.jpg
64976547.jpg

Do you understand now?

Really? You are going to continue the juvenile tactic of name calling, and have the nerve to call ME an infant. WOW. Just WOW. What more can I say.
And yes, if you are driving a pure race car on public highways, you are a moron. But that's just my opinion. Your local LEO and Judge may see things differently....

This is Nevada dude. We do things differently out here. I regularly take LEO's on high speed runs when they ask. No judges yet, but I took Sandoval when he was our AG on a run. Here's a high speed run we do every year up to Virginia City. Like I said, we do things in this State, that would give you conniptions in your home.

Virginia City Hillclimb
Untitled-3-copy-3-1.jpg

Do you understand now?

This is Nevada dude. We do things differently out here. I regularly take LEO's on high speed runs when they ask. No judges yet, but I took Sandoval when he was our AG on a run. Here's a high speed run we do every year up to Virginia City. Like I said, we do things in this State, that would give you conniptions in your home.

Virginia City Hillclimb
Untitled-3-copy-3-1.jpg
First off, apparently you missed the part where I said I lived in Northern Nevada, so guess what? I know just how much of your story is true and how much is not.
Second, apparently you also missed the point where this thread is about hiway driving practices, not sanctioned racing events. Do you understand that there is a difference?

Do you understand now?

Virginia City Hillclimb
Untitled-3-copy-3-1.jpg
First off, apparently you missed the part where I said I lived in Northern Nevada, so guess what? I know just how much of your story is true and how much is not.
Second, apparently you also missed the point where this thread is about hiway driving practices, not sanctioned racing events. Do you understand that there is a difference?

You may live in NN (doubtful) but you're a Californian. You stated that speeding is evil. I said, no it isn't. Most of the time it is completely safe to speed. That is the beginning of the discussion. You then took further. I disagree. Your extremist viewpoint on speeding is infantile. ANY extremist viewpoint is infantile as it requires no thought to arrive at it. Feel free to tell me what part of my story is not true. I look forward to handing you your butt.

Virginia City Hillclimb
Untitled-3-copy-3-1.jpg

You may live in NN (doubtful) but you're a Californian. You stated that speeding is evil. I said, no it isn't. Most of the time it is completely safe to speed. That is the beginning of the discussion. You then took further. I disagree. Your extremist viewpoint on speeding is infantile. ANY extremist viewpoint is infantile as it requires no thought to arrive at it. Feel free to tell me what part of my story is not true. I look forward to handing you your butt.
  1. I hate California, never lived there and never will.
  2. I lived in Reno, Dayton, and Winnemucca. So, yea, I know.
  3. Never said speeding is "evil". Just stupid.
  4. It's never "safe" to speed. Ask any LEO.
  5. If it is "extremist" to say that speeding is illegal and unsafe, then I guess I am an extremist.
  6. You seem to want to argue, I however do not. I am willing to have an adult conversation though.
  7. You have used "race conditions" to "prove" that speeding is okay. Are you not familiar with the differences between a sanctioned "high speed run" on public roads, and "normal driving conditions"?
You say I am being "infantile", are you, then, saying it is "infantile" to argue for people to obey the law? If so, please explain. If not, please explain how I have misunderstood your arguement.

Oh, almost forgot, I never said anything you posted was untrue, only that I am familiar with the area, and know how much of what you say is true, and how much is not.

Virginia City Hillclimb
Untitled-3-copy-3-1.jpg

5. If it is "extremist" to say that speeding is illegal and unsafe, then I guess I am an extremist.
  6. You seem to want to argue, I however do not. I am willing to have an adult conversation though.
  7. You have used "race conditions" to "prove" that speeding is okay. Are you not familiar with the differences between a sanctioned "high speed run" on public roads, and "normal driving conditions"?
You say I am being "infantile", are you, then, saying it is "infantile" to argue for people to obey the law? If so, please explain. If not, please explain how I have misunderstood your arguement.

Oh, almost forgot, I never said anything you posted was untrue, only that I am familiar with the area, and know how much of what you say is true, and how much is not.

Then feel free to tell me what I said is untrue. You're dodging, not answering. Yes, it is safe to speed. Most of the time. Ask any LEO as they are usually the ones doing it. The difference being they get a pass while others don't. 90% of all speed limits are for revenue generation. Period. How do we know this? When the national speed limit was 55 there were more accidents than now, and the speed limits have gone up to 65 and 70 on most Interstates, and 80 in places. Montana Used to have no speed limits. Accidents were no more prevalent than in those states with a speed limit. Then, they bowed to the Federal leash and implemented speed limits. Guess what. The accident rate DOUBLED!

"Montana: No Speed Limit Safety Paradox
February 2000
By Chad Dornsife, 5/10/2001
National Motorists Association, Waunakee Wisconsin

This is an obvious call to action. Something must be done. We need more laws, more money for enforcement and more citations written – Speed Kills!

Not so fast says a follow up study just completed by National Motorists Association. The study shows the safest period on Montana’s Interstate highways was when there were no daytime speed limits or enforceable speed laws.

The doubling of fatal accidents occurred after Montana implemented its new safety program; complete with federal funding, artificially low speed limits and full enforcement."

Montana: No Speed Limit Safety Paradox - National Motorists Association

Virginia City Hillclimb
Untitled-3-copy-3-1.jpg

Then feel free to tell me what I said is untrue. You're dodging, not answering. Yes, it is safe to speed. Most of the time. Ask any LEO as they are usually the ones doing it. The difference being they get a pass while others don't. 90% of all speed limits are for revenue generation. Period. How do we know this? When the national speed limit was 55 there were more accidents than now, and the speed limits have gone up to 65 and 70 on most Interstates, and 80 in places. Montana Used to have no speed limits. Accidents were no more prevalent than in those states with a speed limit. Then, they bowed to the Federal leash and implemented speed limits. Guess what. The accident rate DOUBLED!

February 2000

This is an obvious call to action. Something must be done. We need more laws, more money for enforcement and more citations written – Speed Kills!

Not so fast says a follow up study just completed by National Motorists Association. The study shows the safest period on Montana’s Interstate highways was when there were no daytime speed limits or enforceable speed laws.

The doubling of fatal accidents occurred after Montana implemented its new safety program; complete with federal funding, artificially low speed limits and full enforcement."

You continue to make an arguement without merit, so I will provide you with some reading to enlighten yourself. Take it or leave it, I don't really care. If you would like to explain to me why this information is wrong, feel free, just provide links to support your arguement.
Stage 4: It’s Never OK to Speed : Driver’s Ed Guru
Thanks.

Virginia City Hillclimb
Untitled-3-copy-3-1.jpg

February 2000

You continue to make an arguement without merit, so I will provide you with some reading to enlighten yourself. Take it or leave it, I don't really care. If you would like to explain to me why this information is wrong, feel free, just provide links to support your arguement.
Thanks.

I will take actual accident results over the self indulgent philosophy of a "guru".

February 2000

Thanks.

I will take actual accident results over the self indulgent philosophy of a "guru".
I take it you did not bother to read the article, therefore, I assume you either cannot or will not accept the truth. I refuse to continue beating my head against the wall, as it has become obvious to me that you will never so much as consider the possibility that you may be incorrect. I leave you to your dilusions and bid you a good day.

February 2000

Thanks.

I take it you did not bother to read the article, therefore, I assume you either cannot or will not accept the truth. I refuse to continue beating my head against the wall, as it has become obvious to me that you will never so much as consider the possibility that you may be incorrect. I leave you to your dilusions and bid you a good day.

And you didn't read my sources either. So we're at an impasse. The facts are that when Montana had no speed limit they had fewer accidents. When they instituted speed limits and enforcement they had more than twice the number without. That is called a fact. And it is a powerful one. You may enjoy your simplistic viewpoint of the world but realize it IS simplistic. The world is far more complex than that and I choose to live in the real world.

I have done three 1,000+ mile driving legs over the past month. It could be my imagination, but I'm seeing more and more drivers who apparently couldn't care less if they are holding up traffic, sometimes for MILES. You will see a car or truck overtaking another vehicle, and basically going the same speed. This is both private citizens and OTR truckers.

You also have people who totally ignore the concept of a "passing" lane. They drive in the left lane permanently.

I'm not sure this is much of a safety problem, but it's inconsider a te as hell.

If I see that I'm holding up traffic, I accelerate to get around the cars beside me, and get out of the passing lane. Nothing but (un)common courtesy,.

Other viewpoints?

With 18 wheelers it depends, some places they have a slower speed limit and a lot of weight behind them to accelerate around a slower car or truck.

Then you have the mountains some trucks I think are geared differently? (Don't quote me never drove one) to climb them with ease

As a CMV driver, I can tell you that you are correct. The mountain thing is a bit more complex than that, but you have the basics right.
A truck's ability to climb hills is dependant on several factors including:
  • Combined weight of truck, trailer, and load.
  • Gearing.
  • Torque of engine.
  • Rolling resistance of tires is a small factor.
  • And at high speeds, areodynamics can play a small part
Also, remember that on many steep or long grades a truck has to downshift BEFORE starting up (or down) to maintain the highest speed possible (or safest speed).

Torque gets you up the hill. Horsepower determines how fast.

I have done three 1,000+ mile driving legs over the past month. It could be my imagination, but I'm seeing more and more drivers who apparently couldn't care less if they are holding up traffic, sometimes for MILES. You will see a car or truck overtaking another vehicle, and basically going the same speed. This is both private citizens and OTR truckers.

You also have people who totally ignore the concept of a "passing" lane. They drive in the left lane permanently.

I'm not sure this is much of a safety problem, but it's inconsider a te as hell.

If I see that I'm holding up traffic, I accelerate to get around the cars beside me, and get out of the passing lane. Nothing but (un)common courtesy,.

Other viewpoints?

With 18 wheelers it depends, some places they have a slower speed limit and a lot of weight behind them to accelerate around a slower car or truck.

Then you have the mountains some trucks I think are geared differently? (Don't quote me never drove one) to climb them with ease

As a CMV driver, I can tell you that you are correct. The mountain thing is a bit more complex than that, but you have the basics right.
  • Gearing.
  • Torque of engine.
Also, remember that on many steep or long grades a truck has to downshift BEFORE starting up (or down) to maintain the highest speed possible (or safest speed).

While i would tend to agree with this statement, with a heavy load, such as a Tractor-trailer, it's just not that simple.

Other viewpoints?

• Gearing.
  • Torque of engine.

While i would tend to agree with this statement, with a heavy load, such as a Tractor-trailer, it's just not that simple.

Oversimplified for sure. But in it's purest form.

Other viewpoints?

Then you have the mountains some trucks I think are geared differently? (Don't quote me never drove one) to climb them with ease.

• Gearing.
  • Torque of engine.

Yeah, actually, it is. One horsepower equals one horsepower. 300HP is 300HP, whether it is from a 3406 Cat at 1300RPM, a C10 at 1800RPM, a Cummins ISB at 2800RPM, a Ford V10 at 4400RPM, a turbocharged 1800cc Honda at 8500RPM, or a turbine at 35,000RPM!

There are a lot of idiots on the road and I think worse than ever with the cultural narcisism and electronic dodads available. I am usually in no hurry in my suv or truck and prefer the slow lane but with incoming traffic I move over if I can. The thing that gets me are those that slow dick their way into the freeway and expect that you will accomodate them due to their special status.

Most truckers are good, they do it for a living and are professional. A few are assholes though and act like they don't give a shit, probably because they don't.

I started motorcycle riding before car driving so learned to drive defensively and aware. I always check my surrounds and am always amazed at those looking straight ahead and not realizing traffic has slowed considerably. I speed up or slow down to stay away from people in a daze.

There are a lot of idiots on the road and I think worse than ever with the cultural narcisism and electronic dodads available. I am usually in no hurry in my suv or truck and prefer the slow lane but with incoming traffic I move over if I can. The thing that gets me are those that slow dick their way into the freeway and expect that you will accomodate them due to their special status.

Most truckers are good, they do it for a living and are professional. A few are assholes though and act like they don't give a shit, probably because they don't.

I started motorcycle riding before car driving so learned to drive defensively and aware. I always check my surrounds and am always amazed at those looking straight ahead and not realizing traffic has slowed considerably. I speed up or slow down to stay away from people in a daze.

Or on their fucking cell phones. A guy from the electric company hit a guy on a bike last month. He got charges on him for distracted driving.

Or on their fucking cell phones. A guy from the electric company hit a guy on a bike last month. He got charges on him for distracted driving.
The phones are a huge problem these days. They can be watching porn, anything but the boring old road.

Other viewpoints?

Then you have the mountains some trucks I think are geared differently? (Don't quote me never drove one) to climb them with ease.

• Gearing.
  • Torque of engine.

Yeah, actually, it is. One horsepower equals one horsepower. 300HP is 300HP, whether it is from a 3406 Cat at 1300RPM, a C10 at 1800RPM, a Cummins ISB at 2800RPM, a Ford V10 at 4400RPM, a turbocharged 1800cc Honda at 8500RPM, or a turbine at 35,000RPM!
Agreed, one horsepower is one horsepower. Apparently though you missed the point I was making. What I was saying is that the relationship between horsepower and torque in a heavy truck is not as simple as it is in a passenger vehicle. I'll give you an example to explain:

Say you have a vehicle and load that weighs 30,000 lbs., total, now say that you have two drive-trains that are geared so that the horsepower curve, and the torque curve intersect at the same speed of 50 MPH. These two drivetrains are coupled to two different engines as follows:
  1. Chevy 5.7L small block delivering 300 horsepower, and 350 lb/feet of torque.
  2. Chevy 8.1L big block delivering 300 horsepower, and 520 lb/feet of torque.
Which engine/drivetrain would you expect to be able to climb a 15% grade at a higher speed?
I guarantee, the 8.1 big block will crush the small block. Why? the HP is the same... Because it's just as much about torque with a heavy load as it is about HP. Does this clear up my point?

Forum List

Back