high ranking officers that committed suicide

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
......we have the Chief of Naval Operations that committed suicide-- Michael Boorda
''''''Boorda stopped wearing the two "V" devices on these two service ribbons about a year before the Hackworth investigation, after Boorda had been informed by the Navy that he was not authorized to wear them.''''''

.....General Red Mike Edson of Guadalcanal fame committed suicide

..... Admiral Forrestal ''fell''
''''''only that Forrestal had died from his fall from the window. It did not say what might have caused the fall, nor did it make any mention of a bathrobe sash cord that had first been reported as tied around his neck''''

LBJ recommended himself for a Silver Star for doing nothing but sit in a plane during a single flight over enemy territory. John Kerry recommended himself for a Purple Heart for injuring himself with a grenade and another one for a finger prick splinter when a mine went off. Does anybody really believe that a retired USN Admiral would be so distraught by controversy over a "V" device that he would commit suicide? Most people don't even know what the ribbons mean.

LBJ recommended himself for a Silver Star for doing nothing but sit in a plane during a single flight over enemy territory. John Kerry recommended himself for a Purple Heart for injuring himself with a grenade and another one for a finger prick splinter when a mine went off. Does anybody really believe that a retired USN Admiral would be so distraught by controversy over a "V" device that he would commit suicide? Most people don't even know what the ribbons mean.
good call

Does anybody really believe that a retired USN Admiral would be so distraught by controversy over a "V" device that he would commit suicide?

I still remember that.

For those that do not know, the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) is the Navy equivalent of the Army and Air Force Chief of Staff, and the Marine Corps and Coast Guard Commandant. He is the top man in that branch of service, and is part one of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Now Admiral Boorda was under a lot of pressure at that time because of many of his decisions. Like changing the promotion system for officers and enlisted, how poorly he had handled the Tailhook Scandal, and how he was being seen as "rolling over" and doing just about anything that the Clinton Administration asked without question (like the massive fleet cuts that were even then underway).

And towards the end, the almost strange handling of the recommendation for an Admiral for Pacific Command. Both endorsing the nomination, and supporting the Admiral. And at the same time agreeing with the Administration that another should be selected.

But "Stolen Valor" is also a very serious charge in the military, and has seen careers end and people kicked out because of it. And that was also lingering in the background, and many were rumbling about it in the Navy. But that was quite literally the "Straw that broke the camel's back" as far as most of those in the Naval Service were concerned. Odds are if he had not done that, within a week or so he would have been requested to resign.

And to a 4 star who had dedicated 41 years to the Navy, that was probably to much.

I still remember that.

For those that do not know, the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) is the Navy equivalent of the Army and Air Force Chief of Staff, and the Marine Corps and Coast Guard Commandant. He is the top man in that branch of service, and is part one of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Now Admiral Boorda was under a lot of pressure at that time because of many of his decisions. Like changing the promotion system for officers and enlisted, how poorly he had handled the Tailhook Scandal, and how he was being seen as "rolling over" and doing just about anything that the Clinton Administration asked without question (like the massive fleet cuts that were even then underway).

And towards the end, the almost strange handling of the recommendation for an Admiral for Pacific Command. Both endorsing the nomination, and supporting the Admiral. And at the same time agreeing with the Administration that another should be selected.

But "Stolen Valor" is also a very serious charge in the military, and has seen careers end and people kicked out because of it. And that was also lingering in the background, and many were rumbling about it in the Navy. But that was quite literally the "Straw that broke the camel's back" as far as most of those in the Naval Service were concerned. Odds are if he had not done that, within a week or so he would have been requested to resign.

And to a 4 star who had dedicated 41 years to the Navy, that was probably to much.
Kill yourself over Tailhook? Give me a break. Maybe it wasn't suicide.

Kill yourself over Tailhook? Give me a break. Maybe it wasn't suicide.

I did not say that, or anything like that. But if that is your line of thought, maybe you should revisit this down in the Conspiracy Theory area. They love topics like that.

Especially since I bet it has been ages since they have had a good "Clinton Body Count" thread.

He did though.

I did not say that, or anything like that. But if that is your line of thought, maybe you should revisit this down in the Conspiracy Theory area. They love topics like that.

Especially since I bet it has been ages since they have had a good "Clinton Body Count" thread.
Well what is it. Suicide or murder?

Forum List

Back