Hell bent for metal riffs.

early Priest was a completely different animal though. They evolved on a similar path as Ronnie James Dio's career. They were at their height of their popularity in the 80s.
I saw Rush, Zeppelin and Sabbath in concert before you were even born,
so the history of hard rock and heavy metal is no stranger to me, but go ahead and continue "schooling" me, Huckleberry.....:71:

early Priest was a completely different animal though. They evolved on a similar path as Ronnie James Dio's career. They were at their height of their popularity in the 80s.
I saw Rush, Zeppelin and Sabbath in concert before you were even born,
so the history of hard rock and heavy metal is no stranger to me, but go ahead and continue "schooling" me, Huckleberry.....:71:

Back then, did you & your friends call Sabbath and Rush's style of music heavy metal?

Back then, did you & your friends call Sabbath and Rush's style of music heavy metal?
Not really. The term heavy metal had been kicked around through the 70's, but I don't recall it separating into its own genre until the early 80's when thrash and speed metal came around. Still - I would agree with most that Black Sabbath was the first to break out of the "Deep Purple/Zeppelin" era....into something different.

Last edited:
I'm a huge Ritchie Blackmore fan, either Deep Purple or Rainbow. This version of Rainbow had Cozy Powell on Drums, Bob Daisley on Bass, and Ronnie James Dio on vocals and of course Mr. Blackmore on guitar. Pretty kick ass start to finish.

Last edited:
Not really. The term heavy metal had been kicked around through the 70's, but I don't recall it separating into its own genre until the early 80's when thrash and speed metal came around. Still - I would agree with most that Black Sabbath was the first to break out of the "Deep Purple/Zeppelin" era....into something different.

Black Sabbath: the song was more metal than anything else Sabbath the band ever did. More metal than Judas Priest's entire discography and 1000 times more metal than friggin' Rush.

OIP (6).jpeg

Forum List

Back