He Grabbed the Doctors Finger

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
At 21 weeks after conception Sam had surgery for spina bifida while inside his mother. During the surgery he reached out and grabbed the doctors finger. Sam is 22 years old now.
8A744ADC-407F-4CF1-91A7-4D67A4FF560B.jpeg

"The entire procedure would take place within the uterus, and no part of the child was to breach the surgical opening," Clancy told the subcommittee.

"When it was over, the surgical team breathed a sigh of relief, as did I," he said.

"As the doctor asked me what speed of film I was using," he continued, "out of the corner of my eye I saw the uterus shake, but no one's hands were near it.

"It was shaking from within," he said.

"Suddenly, an entire arm thrust out of the opening and pulled back, until just the little hand was showing," he said.

"The doctor reached over and lifted the hand, which reacted and squeezed the doctor's finger," Clancy told the subcommittee.

"As if testing for strength, the doctor shook the tiny fist. I took the picture,"

At 21 weeks after conception Sam had surgery for spina bifida while inside his mother. During the surgery he reached out and grabbed the doctors finger. Sam is 22 years old now.
View attachment 672958
"The entire procedure would take place within the uterus, and no part of the child was to breach the surgical opening," Clancy told the subcommittee.

"When it was over, the surgical team breathed a sigh of relief, as did I," he said.

"As the doctor asked me what speed of film I was using," he continued, "out of the corner of my eye I saw the uterus shake, but no one's hands were near it.

"It was shaking from within," he said.

"Suddenly, an entire arm thrust out of the opening and pulled back, until just the little hand was showing," he said.

"The doctor reached over and lifted the hand, which reacted and squeezed the doctor's finger," Clancy told the subcommittee.

"As if testing for strength, the doctor shook the tiny fist. I took the picture,"

the hand grasp is a SPINAL REFLEX usually
called "palmar reflex" It is not voluntary.
It can be elicited even in brain dead patients

& now for the truth:

Is This a Real Fetal Surgery Photo?​

A photograph supposedly captured a fetus reaching out towards the surgeon during an in-the-womb surgery.​

A photograph shows a fetus reaching out towards the surgeon during an in-the-womb surgery.

Rating​

Miscaptioned

Miscaptioned
About this rating
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rating/miscaptioned/
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rating/miscaptioned/
However, it is not true, as described in the accompanying text, that these photographs were taken as Samuel’s hand “emerged from the mother’s uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life,” or that Dr. Bruner said “when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life.” This misinformation has been propagated by many different sources, including the Michael Clancy, the photographer who snapped the pictures:...

What actually took place, as described in news reports of the surgery, was that “[J]ust as surgeon Dr. Joseph Bruner was closing the incision in Julie Armas’ uterus, Samuel’s thumbnail-sized hand flopped out. Bruner lifted it gently and tucked it back in.”2

The surgeon, Dr. Bruner, later elaborated on some of the exaggerated and false claims made about the photograph:

“It has become an urban legend,” says Bruner, the Vanderbilt University surgeon who fixed the spina bifida lesion on Samuel. Many people he hears from wonder whether it’s a fake.
“One person said the photo had been reviewed by a team of medical experts and they had determined that it was a hoax,” Bruner says with a laugh.
More commonly, people want to know how the photo came to be.
Some opponents of abortion have claimed that the baby reached through the womb and grabbed the doctor’s hand.
Not true, Bruner says.
Samuel and his mother, Julie, were under anesthesia and could not move.
“The baby did not reach out,” Bruner says. “The baby was anesthetized. The baby was not aware of what was going on.”3
(The dubious veracity of the photographer’s version of events is highlighted by the disclaimer he appended to it on his web site, stating that it represented his “opinion of the events as they took place during the surgery for Samuel.”)
Is This a Real Fetal Surgery Photo?

& now for the truth:

Is This a Real Fetal Surgery Photo?​

A photograph supposedly captured a fetus reaching out towards the surgeon during an in-the-womb surgery.​

A photograph shows a fetus reaching out towards the surgeon during an in-the-womb surgery.

Rating​

Miscaptioned

Miscaptioned
About this rating
Miscaptioned Archives
Miscaptioned Archives
However, it is not true, as described in the accompanying text, that these photographs were taken as Samuel’s hand “emerged from the mother’s uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life,” or that Dr. Bruner said “when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life.” This misinformation has been propagated by many different sources, including the Michael Clancy, the photographer who snapped the pictures:...

What actually took place, as described in news reports of the surgery, was that “[J]ust as surgeon Dr. Joseph Bruner was closing the incision in Julie Armas’ uterus, Samuel’s thumbnail-sized hand flopped out. Bruner lifted it gently and tucked it back in.”2

The surgeon, Dr. Bruner, later elaborated on some of the exaggerated and false claims made about the photograph:

(The dubious veracity of the photographer’s version of events is highlighted by the disclaimer he appended to it on his web site, stating that it represented his “opinion of the events as they took place during the surgery for Samuel.”)
Is This a Real Fetal Surgery Photo?
Leftard snopes spin.
I posted the direct testimony of the doctor.

By week 7 all babies have brain activity. He was at 21 weeks.
RIGHT----they do but the GRASP (palmar
reflex) is not mediated by the brain at 21
weeks. It is spinal ----uhm ----I think C5
ie the cervical spinal cord---5th level

I posted the sworn testimony of the doctor speaking to Congress.
No, you didn't, and you didn't even read your own article.

In a May 2, 2000, story in USA Today, that surgeon, Dr. Joseph Bruner, described the incident from a different perspective.

"Some opponents of abortion have claimed that the baby reached through the womb and grabbed the doctor's hand," USA Today reported. "Not true, Bruner says."

"The baby did not reach out," Bruner told USA Today. "The baby was anesthetized. The baby was not aware of what was going on."

"It was after the spine had been repaired but before the amniotic fluid was returned to the womb that Bruner lifted Samuel's hand and the picture was taken," USA Today reported. "Bruner says he saw the hand 'sort of pop up in the incision' on the womb, and he 'reached over and picked it up.'"

"Why did I pick up the hand?" Bruner said to USA Today. "I have no idea why I did it. I looked and I saw this hand, and I guess that to me it was just a very human thing to do to reach and shake somebody's hand."

Snopes is a Leftard bullshit rag that repeatedly fact checks the Babylon Bee.

I posted the sworn testimony of the doctor speaking to Congress.

CNS News​

CNS News - Questionable Source - Propaganda - Extreme Right Bias - Fake News - Conservative
Factual Reporting: Low - Not Credible - Not Reliable - Fake News - Bias

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE​

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
  • Overall, we rate CNS News Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda, and numerous failed fact checks.

Detailed Report​

Reasoning: Propaganda, Some Fake News
Bias Rating: FAR RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
CNS News

CNS News​

CNS News - Questionable Source - Propaganda - Extreme Right Bias - Fake News - Conservative

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE​

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
  • Overall, we rate CNS News Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda, and numerous failed fact checks.

Detailed Report​

CNS News
Figures you’d pull out another Leftard’fact’ check

CNS News​

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE​

Detailed Report​

CNS News
1658447501639.png

1658447533793.gif

Surgeons who operate on unborn children are not known for saying these are not human beings. Whether the tiny hand grabbed the doctor's finger or not, no doctor has denied it was a hand, a human hand.

Forum List

Back