HBO Max: The Last Of Us

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I gave up video games when my kids were born. I still play the occasional game on my phone, but I have not touched a PlayStation of Xbox or anything like that in a very long time.

My kids have all played The Last Of Us on the family PlayStation. So they were very excited about the TV series based on the game coming to HBO Max.

We've all been watching it together. So far, only three episodes have been released. Unlike Netflix, HBO Max does not release an entire season in one gulp. They release one episode a week. I told my kids, "That is so 20th century!"

Anyway, according to the kids, the first episode starts out with a frame-by-frame recreation of the video game. They are very pleased with the show.

All my kids have told me I am just like the Joel character played by Pedro Pascal.

And then...and then...in episode three they went way off the video game script.

THEY MADE RON SWANSON GAY!!! :disbelief:

WTF!?!

His character is not gay in the video game. So strike another blow for wokism.

Since that episode last week, I have noticed my Netflix queue is filling up with gay shows. My kids are having a run at me. :(

I gave up video games when my kids were born. I still play the occasional game on my phone, but I have not touched a PlayStation of Xbox or anything like that in a very long time.

My kids have all played The Last Of Us on the family PlayStation. So they were very excited about the TV series based on the game coming to HBO Max.

We've all been watching it together. So far, only three episodes have been released. Unlike Netflix, HBO Max does not release an entire season in one gulp. They release one episode a week. I told my kids, "That is so 20th century!"

Anyway, according to the kids, the first episode starts out with a frame-by-frame recreation of the video game. They are very pleased with the show.

All my kids have told me I am just like the Joel character played by Pedro Pascal.

WTF!?!

Since that episode last week, I have noticed my Netflix queue is filling up with gay shows. My kids are having a run at me. :(

Was it him and another dude living together in the game?

Was it him and another dude living together in the game?
My kids said both characters were in the video game, but weren't gay.

The tv show devoted an entire episode to their love affair.

At first, it was cool. Ron Swanson is a survivalist in the show. Just what you would expect. But then...*shudder*

The Last Of Us seemed entirely too woke.
Joel's daughter is black in the tv show. My kids said she was white in the video game.

Oh, well.

It's still fun to watch. My kids are tired of waiting for me to get through all the streaming documentaries and war movies. So they are enjoying spending time with me on this show.

Worth it.

My kids said both characters were in the video game, but weren't gay.

The tv show devoted an entire episode to their love affair.

At first, it was cool. Ron Swanson is a survivalist in the show. Just what you would expect. But then...*shudder*

They game designer left an opening and the writers took it. Considering the main girl character is a lesbian by design I wouldn't be surprised they game designers left hints the two were "buddies"

The Last Of Us seemed entirely too woke.

It does seem to be leaning there.

The vague hint in the beginning that AGW caused the mutation, the gay survivalist thing, the fact that all the assholes so far appear to be white.

WTF!?!

Not familiar with the game, but I do like the show. Episode 1 was truly great. Episode 3 was a woker’s wet dream but I still enjoyed the episode.

The only grip is the lack of zombies. It is a zombie show and might have only had 15 mins of zombie screen time.

Nevertheless, I really like the show. For now at least.

I've played the game, I like the show. I'm not a fan of woke.

That being said, while I'll crack jokes about "wokeness" I don't generally let it get in the way of my enjoyment of good entertainment.

With regard to episode 3, what I saw is an Emmy for Nick Offerman. That was some exceptional acting. For me, I was not bothered by the story. Gay people exist, why not have a story about a pair post apocalypse? yes, I know. Statistically speaking they are currently being over represented in pop culture, but for a long time they were under represented. Eventually it should all be a wash.

Besides, I've got more important things to worry about...

That being said, while I'll crack jokes about "wokeness" I don't generally let it get in the way of my enjoyment of good entertainment.

With regard to episode 3, what I saw is an Emmy for Nick Offerman. That was some exceptional acting. For me, I was not bothered by the story. Gay people exist, why not have a story about a pair post apocalypse? yes, I know. Statistically speaking they are currently being over represented in pop culture, but for a long time they were under represented. Eventually it should all be a wash.

They should not be represented at all.

If it is one or 2 woke comments in a show or movie I can let it go… problem is Hollywood makes the theme of these movies as pushing a woke message.

I will not be watching it.
I had interest until I saw a YouTube review of it and it showed the long and detailed open mouth kissing between two men.
I am sorry. But, like all heterosexual men... seeing such a scene is gross and repulsive.

Next!

WTF!?!

That's hilarious. I noticed Sanjay Gupta talking about "fungal infections" in relation to this show this morning, and it was the first I've heard of it. Now I have learned more from this thread. Know nothing of the video game connection, but did read some people say it stays true to that version. I'm pretty sure it's another post apocalyptic hellscape where groups try to survive and protect one another. Not interested in these shows, when parts of the world resemble it already.

I can't believe HBO put a gay character in there that is so f'n stupid.

I'm waiting for a WWII drama, maybe one about the invasion of Normandy in June of '44, where Sgt. Slaughter is really a closeted homosexual, and ends up taking a round for his CO (and secret lover) and is passed over for the MOH because it is discovered those two had a thing.

I can't believe HBO put a gay character in there that is so f'n stupid.

I'm waiting for a WWII drama, maybe one about the invasion of Normandy in June of '44, where Sgt. Slaughter is really a closeted homosexual, and ends up taking a round for his CO (and secret lover) and is passed over for the MOH because it is discovered those two had a thing.
Add that he was also transgender and vegan and you got a great movie

I will not be watching it.
I had interest until I saw a YouTube review of it and it showed the long and detailed open mouth kissing between two men.
I am sorry. But, like all heterosexual men... seeing such a scene is gross and repulsive.

Next!
Like many heterosexual men and women, I don't find males or females kissing to be particular gross or revulsive. If the scene is part of the narrative or is needed to give the audience an insight into the characters that's fine otherwise the scene will be seen as salacious and damaging to the narrative.

There was no need for the 3 minute gay thingy. They wake up the next morning in their bed. Point taken.

Forum List

Back