HBO Max: Nobody

Yes, I was a member way before they started streaming. I also had that $9.95 subscription for a long time.

I never got a signed letter, though. :(
lol.

Ditto. Used to get the DVDs mailed to me when I was stationed in Germany. It was virtually the only way to get real video entertainment. If you kept on top of it you could get an awful lot of DVDs in a month and that was pre streaming services of any kind.

lol.

Ditto. Used to get the DVDs mailed to me when I was stationed in Germany. It was virtually the only way to get real video entertainment. If you kept on top of it you could get an awful lot of DVDs in a month and that was pre streaming services of any kind.
Last I heard the DVD service was still available for $9.99 a month and still have more than 100,000 DVD options vs less the 6,000 streaming options. Yet there are only about 2.7 million subscribers of Netflix DVDs vs. 205 million streaming customers. One of things I really loved about the DVD service was the anticipation of getting that movie or TV series that was available no where else. That of course sounds crazy today with so many offering available at your fingertips.

Today we have a choice overload which is a cognitive impairment in which people have a difficult time making a decision when faced with many options. Making a decision can become overwhelming due to the many potential outcomes and risks that may result from making the wrong choice. Having too many approximately equally good options is mentally draining because each option must be weighed against alternatives to select the best one.

Only having the time to watch a few movies out the thousands available creates a lot of pressure to pick the right ones. So I go through Netflix find one or two pretty good candidates but then I remember a movie on Prime so I search through Prime but can't find it. Then I turn to Cable to search on their offering but it's now it's 12:30am and I have to get in the mourning so I have wasted my precious movie time once again.

Choice overload is not just in movies, but music, books, retail purchases on the Interest, Charities to support, job offerings, etc. When I purchase our first home, the realtor showed us four properties, two were out of our price range so our choice was between the two remaining. Our search for the last home we bought turned up over 75 options which we reduced to 20. After days of looking and shear exhaustion set in we pick the one by flipping a coin.

Often I yearn for days with less choices. When I was kid, I was allowed one movie a week on Sat. morning. Since there was only one theater showing movies on Sat. morning our choice was pretty simple. Probably the biggest decision was the size of the bag of popcorn and the candies which were decided by the amount of money we had. And you know what, we always were pretty happy because we didn't have another choice.

Who Knew? Netflix Still Has 2.7 Million DVD-by-Mail Subscribers | The Motley Fool.

Last I heard the DVD service was still available for $9.99 a month and still have more than 100,000 DVD options vs less the 6,000 streaming options. Yet there are only about 2.7 million subscribers of Netflix DVDs vs. 205 million streaming customers. One of things I really loved about the DVD service was the anticipation of getting that movie or TV series that was available no where else. That of course sounds crazy today with so many offering available at your fingertips.

Today we have a choice overload which is a cognitive impairment in which people have a difficult time making a decision when faced with many options. Making a decision can become overwhelming due to the many potential outcomes and risks that may result from making the wrong choice. Having too many approximately equally good options is mentally draining because each option must be weighed against alternatives to select the best one.

Only having the time to watch a few movies out the thousands available creates a lot of pressure to pick the right ones. So I go through Netflix find one or two pretty good candidates but then I remember a movie on Prime so I search through Prime but can't find it. Then I turn to Cable to search on their offering but it's now it's 12:30am and I have to get in the mourning so I have wasted my precious movie time once again.

Choice overload is not just in movies, but music, books, retail purchases on the Interest, Charities to support, job offerings, etc. When I purchase our first home, the realtor showed us four properties, two were out of our price range so our choice was between the two remaining. Our search for the last home we bought turned up over 75 options which we reduced to 20. After days of looking and shear exhaustion set in we pick the one by flipping a coin.

Often I yearn for days with less choices. When I was kid, I was allowed one movie a week on Sat. morning. Since there was only one theater showing movies on Sat. morning our choice was pretty simple. Probably the biggest decision was the size of the bag of popcorn and the candies which were decided by the amount of money we had. And you know what, we always were pretty happy because we didn't have another choice.

Who Knew? Netflix Still Has 2.7 Million DVD-by-Mail Subscribers | The Motley Fool.
Pshaw.

I would bet your experience is pretty limited to an older crowd. The next generation is quite used to the wide range of options. I am certainly not younger but I can say my experience is also the exact opposite.

Not one of the streaming services is expansive enough to give me to many options. They all have, including cable, far to few good options to pick from. The fact there is a billion shitty options certainly does not give me choice overload, it just makes navigation more difficult. To me, saying "often I yearn for days with less choices" is downright nuts!

Pshaw.

I would bet your experience is pretty limited to an older crowd. The next generation is quite used to the wide range of options. I am certainly not younger but I can say my experience is also the exact opposite.

Not one of the streaming services is expansive enough to give me to many options. They all have, including cable, far to few good options to pick from. The fact there is a billion shitty options certainly does not give me choice overload, it just makes navigation more difficult. To me, saying "often I yearn for days with less choices" is downright nuts!
As it turns out having too many choices can actually be detrimental to most people regardless of age. Having an infinite number of choices is paralyzing and exhausting. Researchers have found that being overwhelmed with options can create an adverse experience in making decisions both small and large. Vanguard Mutual Funds in an attempt to increase sales of their 401K plans significantly increased the number mutual funds available to employees. Instead increasing participation, it went down simply because there were so many choices, employees could not make a decision. This phenomenon is explained in following link, "The Paradox of Choice"

As it turns out having too many choices can actually be detrimental to most people regardless of age. Having an infinite number of choices is paralyzing and exhausting. Researchers have found that being overwhelmed with options can create an adverse experience in making decisions both small and large. Vanguard Mutual Funds in an attempt to increase sales of their 401K plans significantly increased the number mutual funds available to employees. Instead increasing participation, it went down simply because there were so many choices, employees could not make a decision. This phenomenon is explained in following link, "The Paradox of Choice"

That is his claim.

And it is not a hard truth in all areas of life and certainly not a hard truth with video entertainment. And linking to a ted talk is rather silly. They are interesting but they by no means are vetted to ensure accuracy.

An overabundance of choices is an interesting phenomena. I did not challenge that. I challenged your application of it to modern media delivery which is blatantly incorrect. Streaming and ever increasing offerings is becoming more popular not less. People are not rejecting or becoming mentally fatigued by the plethora of options. The next generation is used to the near infinite choices they have for media delivery and it is not causing any of the things that you mention. If that were the case, something like YouTube, which offers me over a million choices easily, would not be one of the largest video delivery services in the world. Instead, those that have been brought up in a generation of near infinite entertainment options are quite used to and use those varying options easily. Whatever that ted talk person wants to think, the reality is not bearing it out in the entertainment industry.

That is his claim.

And it is not a hard truth in all areas of life and certainly not a hard truth with video entertainment. And linking to a ted talk is rather silly. They are interesting but they by no means are vetted to ensure accuracy.

An overabundance of choices is an interesting phenomena. I did not challenge that. I challenged your application of it to modern media delivery which is blatantly incorrect. Streaming and ever increasing offerings is becoming more popular not less. People are not rejecting or becoming mentally fatigued by the plethora of options. The next generation is used to the near infinite choices they have for media delivery and it is not causing any of the things that you mention. If that were the case, something like YouTube, which offers me over a million choices easily, would not be one of the largest video delivery services in the world. Instead, those that have been brought up in a generation of near infinite entertainment options are quite used to and use those varying options easily. Whatever that ted talk person wants to think, the reality is not bearing it out in the entertainment industry.
I believe what attracts people to streaming is not the vast number of choices but rather instant availability. Netflix dvd services offers far more entertainment than the streaming service but only about in one in a hundred Neflix customers chose DVDs over streaming.

The more choices you have, be it selecting movies for the family to watch, awarding a bid in your business, or making minor or major purchase, the more decisions you have to make and thus the more responsibility you are taking on. Lots of choices are only bad when the number becomes so great as be paralyzing and exhausting. Selecting movies to stream from Internet is not likely to cause a problem except when added to many other choices in life.

I believe what attracts people to streaming is not the vast number of choices but rather instant availability. Netflix dvd services offers far more entertainment than the streaming service but only about in one in a hundred Neflix customers chose DVDs over streaming.
I did not say that it did.

You said that it is a detractor. My point is that it is clearly a false assertion. No one is asking for, except maybe you, for options that give them fewer choices.
The more choices you have, be it selecting movies for the family to watch, awarding a bid in your business, or making minor or major purchase, the more decisions you have to make and thus the more responsibility you are taking on. Lots of choices are only bad when the number becomes so great as be paralyzing and exhausting. Selecting movies to stream from Internet is not likely to cause a problem except when added to many other choices in life.
Yes, that is your contention. It simply is not in evidence.

I am sure some people are like you, they want fewer curated content. My contention is that is not the norm and the growth of massive media outlets that offer more than we have ever seen before really shows that. The fact that cable has tried to do the same for several decades shows that. Your own statements that you like cable because of the increased options shows that.

Just saying :p

I did not say that it did.

You said that it is a detractor. My point is that it is clearly a false assertion. No one is asking for, except maybe you, for options that give them fewer choices.

Yes, that is your contention. It simply is not in evidence.

I am sure some people are like you, they want fewer curated content. My contention is that is not the norm and the growth of massive media outlets that offer more than we have ever seen before really shows that. The fact that cable has tried to do the same for several decades shows that. Your own statements that you like cable because of the increased options shows that.

Just saying :p
I do not want less content. I want to reduce the time and effort it takes to find what I want to watch. In short, a search engine capability of searching at least most of the streaming services. Below are the streaming apps available on Comcast (Xfinity). Out of the 84 apps only Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO+, and Paramount+ are covered by their search engine. Many of the movies carry a rotten tomatoes and audience rating plus trailers when available. This can save a lot time rather searching through each of the steaming services. Most streaming services do not support voice actuated searches so you have to key in everything. Most streaming services only have two or three thousand movies out of estimated 250,000 in existence so finding more obscure movies can be very difficult.

As I said, I rarely watch Comcast. I use their search engine to find content I am looking for. If it's on a streaming service I switch to the Internet and use the app provided by the service. So I get better resolutions, sound, and response than using apps on Comcast.

Comcast (Xfinity) Apps
  • Acorn TV
  • Neftflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Hulu
  • Youtube
  • HBO Max
  • Paramount+
  • A&E Crime Central
  • Anime Network
  • Amazon Music*
  • Apple TV+
  • Bluprint TV
  • Brown Sugar
  • Cinemoi
  • Conspiracy TV
  • CONtv
  • CuriosityStream
  • Daily Burn
  • DAZN*
  • Dekkoo
  • Discovery+
  • Disney+*
  • Disney Story Central
  • Docurama
  • DOGTV
  • Dove Channel
  • Echoboom Sports
  • Eros Now
  • ESPN+* (Access through the ESPN app)
  • Fiit
  • FITE*
  • FitFusion
  • FlixFling CineFest
  • FlixFling CultFlix
  • FlixFling
  • FlixLatino
  • Fox Nation
  • Gaia
  • Gaiam TV Fit & Fitness
  • GOLFPASS
  • Gravitas Movies
  • The Great Courses Signature Collection
  • Grokker Yoga Fitness
  • Hallmark Movies Now
  • Here TV
  • Highbrow
  • Hi-YAH!
  • History Vault
  • Hulu*
  • Hopster
  • Kidstream
  • KOCOWA
  • KORTV
  • Lifetime Movie Club
  • Lion Mountain TV
  • LIVENow
  • Magellan TV History
  • MHz Choice
  • Miniteve
  • MLB* (Xfinity Flex only with a Xi6 streaming TV Box)
  • Nancy Drew Codes & Clues
  • NBC Sports Gold*
  • Netflix*
  • OpenFit
  • Outside TV Features
  • PANTAYA
  • Passionflix
  • Peacock
  • PlayKids
  • ProGuitar
  • Quark
  • Quil
  • Real Vision
  • The Reading Corner
  • Revry
  • RIDE TV
  • SHOWTIME streaming service* (Xfinity Flex only with an Xi6 streaming TV Box)
  • SHOWTIME Anytime* (Xfinity Flex only with an Xi6 streaming TV Box)
  • Sling TV* (Xfinity Flex only with an Xi6 or XiOne streaming TV Box, or Xfinity X1 with a XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box only)
  • Slow Channel
  • Spotify
  • Stingray Classica
  • Stingray DJAZZ
  • Stingray Karaoke
  • Stingray Qello
  • Streampix
  • True Royalty
  • TumbleBooks TV
  • UP Faith & Family
  • Vudu
  • VSiN
  • Walter Presents
  • WHAM Network
  • Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
  • WildBrain
  • Xive TV

It was ok. Bob Odenkirk as a badass requires imagination. His dad being a tough guy was just stupid. The movie had a cartoonish aspect to it, but it was watchable
Instead of considering it cartoonish I viewed it as a fantasy.

No way could any of those things happen in real life so you put aside reality and just enjoyed him doing the ass kicking.

I enjoyed the movie and I didn't think I would before viewing it.

This movie has one purpose. To entertain you.
And it accomplishes that well.
There is no real plot here. No character building, and not realistic at all.
But it is entertaining. You will laugh throughout the film.

Recommend it if you just want to be entertained for an hour and a half

been thinking of picking up HBO.

Need a new streaming service to replace Netflix. Though I dumped them like 6 months ago.
HBO Max is a good choice to replace Netflix. On Rolling Stones 100 Best Series, you'll find 15 by HBO and 5 by Netflix. However there is a downside. HBO has offering of 3,000 while Netflix has about 5000. The cost of HBO is a few dollars more. Both support up to 5 users (profiles on the same account). There is a difference in how they manage there library. HBO has few new releases every week than Netflix and very fewer deletions. Nefllix's offering are more international than HBO. In fact over 2/3 of the accounts are outside the US. However HBO is expanding rapidly outside of the US.

Amazon Prime is a good value if you want all the services they offer, however keep in mind that that the free offerings on Prime is less than Netflix. Amazon is trying to become the one place for all your streaming. There are a number of streaming channels available on prime such as Stars, Showtime, Britbox, Paramount Plus etc. However you pay for a subscription to each one of them. And if you don't mind renting, there are about 25,000 offerings in their library.

Last edited:
HBO Max is a good choice to replace Netflix. On Rolling Stones 100 Best Series, you'll find 15 by HBO and 5 by Netflix. However there is a downside. HBO has offering of 3,000 while Netflix has about 5000. The cost of HBO is a few dollars more. Both support up to 5 users (profiles on the same account). There is a difference in how they manage there library. HBO has few new releases every week than Netflix and very fewer deletions. Nefllix's offering are more international than HBO. In fact over 2/3 of the accounts are outside the US. However HBO is expanding rapidly outside of the US.

Amazon Prime is a good value if you want all the services they offer, however keep in mind that that the free offerings on Prime is less than Netflix. Amazon is trying to become the one place for all your streaming. There are a number of streaming channels available on prime such as Stars, Showtime, Britbox, Paramount Plus etc. However you pay for a subscription to each one of them. And if you don't mind renting, there are about 25,000 offerings in their library.
lol, we already had this conversation last year flopper :p

Iam necro'd the thread.

Bob Odenkirk (who played the lawyer Saul in Breaking Bad) is an action hero in this movie. This is your basic milquetoast-turns-out-to-be-a-badass kind of movie.

As Rotten Tomatoes says, "Nobody doesn't break any new ground for the genre". However, it is a lot of fun to watch. There's a lot of John Wick moments, a little Back to the Future, and lots of violence mixed with humor.

This movie has the same producer as John Wick, so I guess that explains a lot.

Okenkirk's wife is played by Connie Nielsen who was smoking hot back in her heyday, and still holds up well here.

It's worth spending an hour and a half of your life on.

I watched this last night and enjoyed it. Bob Odenkirk is ideal in the role of the milk toast head of his family who is being burglarized. The plot is certainly not anything new. How many times have we seen the weak mild mannered family man turning out to be a hero in disguise.

If you liked this movie, I would recommend True Lies(1994) with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis. It has the same basic plot with good action sequences but adds comedy that this movie lacks.

Forum List

Back