HBO Max and Discovery + combining by summer 2023

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This is not good for customers. AT all.
This is clearly another move by the industry to turn streaming into a copy of the cable bundling rip off.
There is absolutely ZERO commonality between the two channels. Zero.
We watch several shows on Discovery +... HBO Max is a lot of fluff with a few good series. It isn't worth the price.
Discovery + is well worth the price.
Combining the two only forces people to pay a higher price for the content they used to get for less.

I see it as the beginning of streaming services combining given the number of them that are having trouble standing on their own.

I already have HBO Max as part of my regular HBO subscription.....Not if they don't increase the rates to account for the Discovery merge it will be a win for me.

I see it as the beginning of streaming services combining given the number of them that are having trouble standing on their own.

I already have HBO Max as part of my regular HBO subscription.....Not if they don't increase the rates to account for the Discovery merge it will be a win for me.
Considering the fact that clearly stated that the reason they are doing this is to increase profits should give you a clue.

I believe the combining of these streaming services will not be a big increase.

I have Disney+ for Hulu and I pay like $21 a month and get Netflix’s for free from my phone provider, so it is a win for me.

If they raise the rates it will be a couple of dollars.

I believe the combining of these streaming services will not be a big increase.

I have Disney+ for Hulu and I pay like $21 a month and get Netflix’s for free from my phone provider, so it is a win for me.

If they raise the rates it will be a couple of dollars.
??
Uhh... it is about where this trend is going.
And you do not get Netflix for free, is a part of the price you pay.

Cable bundling rip off is why so many people cut the cord. Paying $160/mo for 200 channels when you only watched 5.
This move will be watched intently by other providers, the article actually says it quite clear. Watching to see what the level of outcry will be, if the drones don't say anything. Other providers will start doing the same - and soon there will be no difference between cable and streaming - you end up paying a higher and higher price for content you don't want.

Jesus

??
Uhh... it is about where this trend is going.
And you do not get Netflix for free, is a part of the price you pay.

Cable bundling rip off is why so many people cut the cord. Paying $160/mo for 200 channels when you only watched 5.
This move will be watched intently by other providers, the article actually says it quite clear. Watching to see what the level of outcry will be, if the drones don't say anything. Other providers will start doing the same - and soon there will be no difference between cable and streaming - you end up paying a higher and higher price for content you don't want.

Jesus
Actually it isn’t part of the add-on group seeing I opted for the lowest level, so my bill would be the same with or without it.

Also Disney has done it for a year or two, so nothing new and no one complained when they bundled it up.

I bet you will be able to separate the HBO from Discovery Just like you can opt to just have Hulu or the bundle for five dollars more.

So get off the ledge or better yet jump!

I never watch Discovery so if HBO would increase rates to account for it I'd simply bail.....I've already got shed of a couple (like Starz) for their incessant woke/thug content.

Disney+?

Don't you mean the MarvelComics/StarWars channel?

I subscribed so I could watch the MMC serials and programs from the 50s/60s

I've had better luck finding them on YouTube.

I never watch Discovery so if HBO would increase rates to account for it I'd simply bail.....I've already got shed of a couple (like Starz) for their incessant woke/thug content.
I did the same with Paramount.
We cancelled that service several months back. Every time you went to the channel - 3/4 of the highlited programs were woke/LGBQT.

We are experiencing a great many streaming options now. Lots of good quality content and low prices. Of course, this won’t last. As in nearly all other industries, consolidation into 2-3 huge corporations is likely and costs incurred by consumers will increase and content quality reduced.

It’s the way in a crony capitalist government captured nation.

This is not good for customers. AT all.
This is clearly another move by the industry to turn streaming into a copy of the cable bundling rip off.
There is absolutely ZERO commonality between the two channels. Zero.
We watch several shows on Discovery +... HBO Max is a lot of fluff with a few good series. It isn't worth the price.
Discovery + is well worth the price.
Combining the two only forces people to pay a higher price for the content they used to get for less.

Not good at all. Similar bundling is being offered now on Amazon Prime Video where certain shows can only be viewed for a "trial period" then the customer has to purchase a subscription to the channel after the trial expires, which ends up being just as expensive if not more than a regular cable subscription.

One of the only few reasonably priced streaming options out there now is through an IPTV subscription.

We are experiencing a great many streaming options now. Lots of good quality content and low prices. Of course, this won’t last. As in nearly all other industries, consolidation into 2-3 huge corporations is likely and costs incurred by consumers will increase and content quality reduced.

It’s the way in a crony capitalist government captured nation.
It has already been going that direction for the past 2 years.
First came the "war on Netflix".
Disney/Marvel/NBC/Warner etc. etc. - all began removing their content from Netflix to start their own streaming channel.
Right now, the only difference between cable and streaming is 1) Commercial free options.. 2) There are no "forced bundling"
There are too many channels. Netflix/Hulu used to be the absolute bomb. TONS of content. But little by little content kept getting removed from them and became exclusive on new channels.
Exclusive marketing is nothing new. It has been taking over streaming for the past 2 years.
This move by two major channels, that have absolutely nothing in common, is a test to see how people respond.
And sadly - you can see how that is likely to go "if it doesn't affect me personally - I don't care".... which is exactly how corporations take over whole markets.

Agreed.

Not good at all. Similar bundling is being offered now on Amazon Prime Video where certain shows can only be viewed for a "trial period" then the customer has to purchase a subscription to the channel after the trial expires, which ends up being just as expensive if not more than a regular cable subscription.

One of the only few reasonably priced streaming options out there now is through an IPTV subscription.
Amazon Prime is awful, almost every program is listed as "Rent or Buy", I like watching foreign films on WWII, so there are some cool choices there, but overall, many of their selections, and most of the more popular movies, are pay to watch. I only keep it for Thursday NFL games.

Unfortunately, that is true, and our options will diminish as prices are sure to rise.

Amazon Prime is awful, almost every program is listed as "Rent or Buy", I like watching foreign films on WWII, so there are some cool choices there, but overall, many of their selections, and most of the more popular movies, are pay to watch. I only keep it for Thursday NFL games.
Amazon Prime is becoming one of the largest rip offs in modern times.
When it started it was amazing.... really too good to be true.
* Free shipping on almost everything on Amazon
* Prime Music had virtually any music you wanted.
* Prime TV had a ton of content
Today
* Prime shipping is only selected items, there is a good chance whatever you are buying is not Prime.
* Prime Music took everything that was popular and moved it to "Prime unlimited" - a second layer of payment
* Prime TV is now full of limited "teaser" content, one show free or it is free and then out of nowhere it becomes pay per view.

I agree, except for an occasional "Amazon Original", I don't watch many movies on it anymore, and I catch the Thursday night games on there as well.

The overall content these days is just not that good.

Forum List

Back