Hawaii proposes $50 "Impact Fee" to visit state parks.

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
If the money goes where it should go, and that is the maintenance and upkeep of hiking trails, state parks and other forest and reef locations then I think it's a great idea, because you have to maintain and be a good steward of such an amazing place.

HONOLULU (AP) — Repairing coral reefs after boats run aground. Shielding native forest trees from a killer fungus outbreak. Patrolling waters for swimmers harassing dolphins and turtles.

Taking care of Hawaii's unique natural environment takes time, people and money. Now Hawaii wants tourists to help pay for it, especially because growing numbers are traveling to the islands to enjoy the beauty of its outdoors — including some lured by dramatic vistas they've seen on social media.

“All I want to do, honestly, is to make travelers accountable and have the capacity to help pay for the impact that they have,” Democratic Gov. Josh Green said earlier this year. “We get between nine and 10 million visitors a year (but) we only have 1.4 million people living here. Those 10 million travelers should be helping us sustain our environment.”

fifty bucks to visit public property? Lol
It should actually encompass a long list of locations, but enforcement of this might be more of the honor system, so it might work in some locations and not others. You can't have someone covering every acre of these parks.

Every time I've gone to the islands I've reserved one day for walking the beach and picking up trash... if every visitor did that this fee may not be necessary....

If the money goes where it should go, and that is the maintenance and upkeep of hiking trails, state parks and other forest and reef locations then I think it's a great idea, because you have to maintain and be a good steward of such an amazing place.

HONOLULU (AP) — Repairing coral reefs after boats run aground. Shielding native forest trees from a killer fungus outbreak. Patrolling waters for swimmers harassing dolphins and turtles.

Taking care of Hawaii's unique natural environment takes time, people and money. Now Hawaii wants tourists to help pay for it, especially because growing numbers are traveling to the islands to enjoy the beauty of its outdoors — including some lured by dramatic vistas they've seen on social media.

“All I want to do, honestly, is to make travelers accountable and have the capacity to help pay for the impact that they have,” Democratic Gov. Josh Green said earlier this year. “We get between nine and 10 million visitors a year (but) we only have 1.4 million people living here. Those 10 million travelers should be helping us sustain our environment.”

Canadians are too broke to pay anything beyond $5 and they would often bring the penny jar to do so.

Preserving the land for as best and long as possible is a big reason I always vote to fund parks. Without Teddy Roosevelt we would have paved over them all for profits.

Air drop in homeless with tents and crack pipes!

Fun story ... one legislative session, Oregon decided to stop funding the State Park system with tax dollars, relying instead on parking fees to cover expenses ... they figured half the current attendance and set the fees ...

Well ... attendance didn't cut in half, in fact, attendance increased, substantially ... making the State Park system awash in cash during the housing crisis ... and the people kept paying to park, flooding the system with more cash ... double the trails, triple the parking, quadruple the signage ... all while the economic news was desperate ... if there's ten square feet of property owned by the Oregon State Parks Department, there's abundant signage on the Interstate to show you the way ... even if it's 200 miles away ...

There's a park sign showing where park signs are made ...

Forum List

Back