Have your religious beliefs changed much in the last 10 years?

It's been about 12 years ago now the last dregs of my childhood faith died along with my mother. After the suffering she endured I could not bring myself to believe anymore. No God that would do that to her is worth worshiping. The last prayer I ever prayed was to let her die easy but it was not to be. She suffered the torments of the damned and rather than walk around angry with God for the rest of my life it was just easier to let it all go.
Sorry to hear that. That's tough. I hope you don't mind my asking but did your mother lose her faith?

Mine have grown, deepened, expanded.

While my dad had a comparatively easy death, my mom died the death she feared most...Ahlzheimers. I watched my grandfather face the same. Here is what I noticed, and something had they known might have brought them comfort in their younger years. True, they lost their memories, but essentially they remained the people they had always been who not only face their existence with no memories, and eventually no words, with the same approach and integrity they had built throughout their early lives.

They would have been proud of themselves. In some ways, strange to say, the experience broadened them. Now anyone who has been with loved ones through Alzheimer's know there are terrible times, and I do not wish to downplay those. Just saying more goes on that may go unnoticed by those not paying very close attention or living through their own great sorrow due to the disintegration that is so readily apparent.
Sorry to hear about your mother's experience. I don't think anyone could fully understand the difficulty unless they had that experience for themselves.

I'm not sure about the timing...10 years, 15 years, whatever. I have come to believe that faith is not necessary. Everyone has crises of faith, even the best of us. The important thing is to live one's life according to the beliefs that you choose. I was raised Catholic (12 years parochial schools), and have studied other religions, but there is only one true Christian religion (in my opinion) and I'm with it.

I have also come to realize that the actual history of the person we call Jesus was probably quite a bit different from the story one might discern from the Scriptures - the Christmas narrative is just made-up nonsense - but they got the meat of it right.

The "death of religion" in this country - again, my opinion - is the result of a lazy, uninvolved population, most of whom think, when you get right down to it, that THEY are "god," and can decide for themselves what is right and wrong.

And of course, Leftism is evil. One must never forget that.
You say Leftism is evil, for that to be true Rightism would also have to be evil. Let's just say extremism,wether right or left is the problem. That would cover all the fanatics, both religious and secular. No one is evil, but what they preach may well be.

Mine have.. although there are some things that have definitely not changed.. Think: What the Catholic Church OFFICIALLY teaches and you will have what I myself believe

but that said, I am fed up with all the corruption in the Church (just as I am w/ the corruption in the nation and the world in general)

It is beyond sad and disturbing that the Church is as corrupt as it apparently is. Priests are no longer very effective in Confession.. some are downright rude and uncaring, which with some people could lead them to depression... and worse.. but they don'tseem to care. Then there's the fact that priests live well, while some parishioners do not have what they even need and cannot get it from the Church... which seems to care more about foreigners than Americans... hey, just like the gummit...

and I could go on.... but I would like to hear thestories of others.. Any similar to mine?
My beliefs haven't changed in the last 10 years. I'm a cradle catholic, who later figured out that nothing is as it really seems. I believe Catholics should be very proud of the church. No other institution played a greater role in shaping western civilization than the Catholic Church. Many great thinkers and contributions to mankind. I relate to Aquinas and Maimonides, who was Jewish. I've studied all the major religions and a few of the primal religions. I see more similarities between the faiths than differences. But like any collection of individuals there will be a distribution. So it won't be perfect. I like that I can change churches and keep the continuity. But most importantly it's the only place I can go and feast on the body and blood of Christ to remind me of how far I have to go. It's a humbling experience unlike any other.

Ok, fair enough. To each his own. I believe that's between you and God. But don't you think it's curious that you align yourself with liberal beliefs (don't read this as intending to be a negative) because you believe it is more moral to do so?
Could be a sense of doing what is right

Welcome to the club. :)

i don't get this..
no one is born a sinner ...
As the Word says He who says he is without sin is a liar and the truth is not in him
curious what might be the sins christians are unable to stop committing ...

- and someone volunteered in the 1st century to die over other's inability to stop themselves from committing these sins ... maybe the local prosecutor should have looked into what these abhorrent, life threatening "sins" might be -

r909 / bing, are you - "peeping tom's" ....

Of course
Even among the religious
Agree. Why do you think we see differing levels of compassion? You mentioned it is a part of being human. Is it kind of like hair: Some simply have more hair than others, and in the same way, some simply have more compassion?

Mine have.. although there are some things that have definitely not changed.. Think: What the Catholic Church OFFICIALLY teaches and you will have what I myself believe

but that said, I am fed up with all the corruption in the Church (just as I am w/ the corruption in the nation and the world in general)

You must understand the Catholic church had never been anything but corrupt. When they sell you spiritual guidance and you get nothing and never will, that's corrupt.

It is beyond sad and disturbing that the Church is as corrupt as it apparently is. Priests are no longer very effective in Confession.. some are downright rude and uncaring, which with some people could lead them to depression... and worse.. but they don'tseem to care.

Surely you don't go to those silly confessions and blurt out your private things. Little wonder the priests go home with lust and frustration. Did you really think you got forgiveness for for it? Grow up. You only thought you got rid of the guilt.

Then there's the fact that priests live well, while some parishioners do not have what they even need and cannot get it from the Church... which seems to care more about foreigners than Americans... hey, just like the gummit...

You keep the faith and they'll keep the money. They gave been nothing but a business since time began and all tax free. Do you really believe they care a rat's about you when they know there is no heaven? They are professionals at stroking your desires and you believe them. Grow up. Its a con.

and I could go on.... but I would like to hear thestories of others.. Any similar to mine?

It is beyond sad and disturbing that the Church is as corrupt as it apparently is. Priests are no longer very effective in Confession.. some are downright rude and uncaring, which with some people could lead them to depression... and worse.. but they don'tseem to care. Then there's the fact that priests live well, while some parishioners do not have what they even need and cannot get it from the Church... which seems to care more about foreigners than Americans... hey, just like the gummit...

The corruption of the church and world governments is what helps bolster my faith

After all, Jesus was thrown to the wolves by both the Roman power and religious power of the Jews.

And if you read Revelation the world government will become overly oppressive and demand we all take a mark or die

So every time I turn on the news I see us inching closer, thus bolstering my faith.

Politics is what kills and destroys whether it is in the church or the state

Last edited:
My beliefs haven't changed in the last 10 years. I'm a cradle catholic, who later figured out that nothing is as it really seems. I believe Catholics should be very proud of the church. No other institution played a greater role in shaping western civilization than the Catholic Church. Many great thinkers and contributions to mankind. I relate to Aquinas and Maimonides, who was Jewish. I've studied all the major religions and a few of the primal religions. I see more similarities between the faiths than differences. But like any collection of individuals there will be a distribution. So it won't be perfect. I like that I can change churches and keep the continuity. But most importantly it's the only place I can go and feast on the body and blood of Christ to remind me of how far I have to go. It's a humbling experience unlike any other.
well, nice to meet someone not ashamed of saying he or she is Catholic

I do have some issues w/ the Church but not to the point of ditching it... throwing theBaby out with the bathwater... which many Catholics seem to do

I do think that a lot of Catholics focuss on the saints (and maybe the 2nd person of the Trinity??) more than.. say, just praying directly to the Father..?

But Jesus did say No one comes to the Father except through Me

and I say No one comes to Jesus in a tangible way exxcept through his Church, the RCC

The corruption of the church and world governments is what helps bolster my faith

After all, Jesus was thrown to the wolves by both the Roman power and religious power of the Jews.

And if you read Revelation the world government will become overly oppressive and demand we all take a mark or die

So every time I turn on the news I see us inching closer, thus bolstering my faith.

Politics is what kills and destroys whether it is in the church or the state
it is not politics

it is corrupt politics... and corrupt church leaders so called

well, nice to meet someone not ashamed of saying he or she is Catholic

I do have some issues w/ the Church but not to the point of ditching it... throwing theBaby out with the bathwater... which many Catholics seem to do

I do think that a lot of Catholics focuss on the saints (and maybe the 2nd person of the Trinity??) more than.. say, just praying directly to the Father..?

But Jesus did say No one comes to the Father except through Me

and I say No one comes to Jesus in a tangible way exxcept through his Church, the RCC
There's no other organization like it in the world. A wealth of deep thinking.

Forum List

Back