Harvard Prof: Diversity Destroys

Well, what do ya know?

Just because I don't "trust" professors, and most of what they do, I'll agree, and disagree.

I wouldn't feel comfortable in a diverse community, hell, that's why I live in the Ozarks of Arkansas.

So that's the agree part.

Like with everything in life, people adjust, and adapt to their environment. If your thrust into a diverse community, and you've got limited choices, you'll adjust, and adapt.

If the community changes slowly around you, you'll adapt. You may wake one morning, and find the neighborhood has changed, and not like it much, but I don't think you'll feel threatened.

That's the disagree part.

:fifty:

Only a fool would base trustworthiness on how a person looks or what race they are.

"How a person looks" and race are two very different things. And both are valid for determinations of trustworthiness. If blacks are 50 times more likely than whites to kill, only a fool would fail to take this information into account.

"How a person looks" and race are two very different things. And both are valid for determinations of trustworthiness. If blacks are 50 times more likely than whites to kill, only a fool would fail to take this information into account.

Your theory is bullshit...Bill Clinton was white as snow and dressed nicely. I wouldn't trust that SOB with a nickel of someone else's money.

Your theory is bullshit...Bill Clinton was white as snow and dressed nicely. I wouldn't trust that SOB with a nickel of someone else's money.

Me neither, but you can't use individuals to discredit a theory of general characteristics of a GROUP.

Example: the fact that Danny DeVito is shorter than most women is NOT "proof" that women are taller than men. The FACT is that men are generally taller than women.

But I fear we're getting away from the point of the Harvard professor's study: racial and ethnic diversity makes us less trustful.

A bleak picture of the corrosive effects of ethnic diversity has been revealed in research by Harvard University's Robert Putnam, one of the world's most influential political scientists.

His research shows that the more diverse a community is, the less likely its inhabitants are to trust anyone – from their next-door neighbour to the mayor.

This is a contentious finding in the current climate of concern about the benefits of immigration. Professor Putnam told the Financial Times he had delayed publishing his research until he could develop proposals to compensate for the negative effects of diversity, saying it "would have been irresponsible to publish without that".

The core message of the research was that, "in the presence of diversity, we hunker down", he said. "We act like turtles. The effect of diversity is worse than had been imagined. And it's not just that we don't trust people who are not like us. In diverse communities, we don't trust people who do look like us."

Me neither, but you can't use individuals to discredit a theory of general characteristics of a GROUP.

Example: the fact that Danny DeVito is shorter than most women is NOT "proof" that women are taller than men. The FACT is that men are generally taller than women.

But I fear we're getting away from the point of the Harvard professor's study: racial and ethnic diversity makes us less trustful.

And my point was that even if you live in an area where everyone else looks just like you, you'd be a fool to believe that you could trust everyone. If ethnic diversity makes us more discerning in who we trust, making us look at the individual for who they are, not what they look like, I'm not sure how you think that's a bad thing, or a statement against diversity.

And my point was that even if you live in an area where everyone else looks just like you, you'd be a fool to believe that you could trust everyone. If ethnic diversity makes us more discerning in who we trust, making us look at the individual for who they are, not what they look like, I'm not sure how you think that's a bad thing, or a statement against diversity.

How people look is not a total waste of time when trying to predict behavior. Sometimes it's even a great self-defense mechanism to judge a potantially dangerous situation. It's just playing the odds. We not talking about lynching anybody here.

How people look is not a total waste of time when trying to predict behavior. Sometimes it's even a great self-defense mechanism to judge a potantially dangerous situation. It's just playing the odds. We not talking about lynching anybody here.

Good point dilloduck, but one "lost" on some folks.......

Just ask the "yuppie" that walks into the biker bar, looks around, then invites his date to sit down.

Hours later in the emergency room of the hospital, he just can't figure out WHY.

Is it DIVERSITY, or is it STUPIDITY?

Just ask the "yuppie" that walks into the biker bar, looks around, then invites his date to sit down.

Hours later in the emergency room of the hospital, he just can't figure out WHY.

Trust me----these folks do everything they can to avoid the "bad side" of town. " I love everyone equally " is a big piece of liberal horseshit. They regularly dicriminateby thier actions.

Hm... I would have to go with DIVERSITY for 500.

Forum List

Back