Harvard law professor: Twitter cannot violate the First Amendment

A basic lesson about free speech from Laurence Tribe:
To begin with, the First Amendment applies to the government — not to private actors like Twitter. So, when the company adds warnings to tweets or even — going a step further for users other than Trump — removes tweets, it can’t possibly violate the First Amendment, because it simply isn’t a governmental entity. You can love or hate how Twitter is regulating its own private platform — but you can’t call it a First Amendment violation.
[/URL]
Yes, they have the legal right. It just shows what fascists they are.
USMB can ban me anytime it wants.
You wouldn't be crying "free speech!"
If USMB were the only message board available, they wouldnt be able to for expressing an opinion

Message boards would be liable for anything posted here. They'd have to shut down immediately, or be sued into insolvency.

Arguing to shut down 230 is arguing to shut down this board.

Before 2024.........
They'll come up with some cutesy lovable name for it......but.....
The Left will pass new Laws against posting anti-Left speech on forums.

Laugh now.....be in awe later when it happens.

Magic 8 Ball tell you that, Tinfoil?

It's not like the Left hasn't already shown us that.

Censoring the Right on Twitter and Facebook etc.

C'mon.....you can't really be THAT stupid.....can you ???

If they'd already shown you the law you're referring to.....you wouldn't be checking your Magic 8 ball to tell us what was going to happen in the future.

You're literally condemning the Left for your imagination. As the 'law' you're referring to only exists there.

wow

I guess you really have missed the whole Globalist movement and all. You really believe the Biden campaign speeches.

You have no clue what you're begging for.

Shocking....but not surprising.

To begin with, the First Amendment applies to the government — not to private actors like Twitter. So, when the company adds warnings to tweets or even — going a step further for users other than Trump — removes tweets, it can’t possibly violate the First Amendment, because it simply isn’t a governmental entity. You can love or hate how Twitter is regulating its own private platform — but you can’t call it a First Amendment violation.
[/URL]
A professor should know that free speech applies to the government and not private enterprises
Private enterprise is prohibited by law from making decisions about speech that is of a countering opinion

Which law? And a 'countering opinion'.....according to who?
They are legally prohibited from censoring or preventing a countering opinion on an opinion platform

Twitter and Facebook should be able to block anyone and everyone they desire.

However, it reveals their intolerance of opposing viewpoints to do so.
they should be required to apply their rules equally across the board,,

I disagree.
You are not required to use Facebook OR Twitter.
It's not their fault that you didn't create or patronize a competing service.
Twitter is only obligated to it's board of directors and shareholders (less so)

But the real problem is MUCH deeper.

The left also owns the entire Internet....all the cellular Networks....and all the Media.
Please tell that to Rupert Murdoch and the Sinclair Broadcast Group.

I mean you are either clueless or a damned liar.

Who controls the Internet? Tell us.
Feel free to impart your wisdom.....if you have any
The infrastructure and servers and software systems that all run the commercial internet are owned and controlled by numerous private companies, most of which lean right as all business does in this country.
All this delusional nonsense about a left controlled media after the last five years when all of media, including all the major internet platforms and the cable news media that y’all label left wing, have given your cult leader 24/7/365 unfettered access and wall to wall continuous coverage to the point that it has almost been like he is the center of the known Universe.
I mean it’s just ludicrous to cry about left controlled media silencing the right. Y’all are whinging bitches.

[/URL]
A professor should know that free speech applies to the government and not private enterprises
Private enterprise is prohibited by law from making decisions about speech that is of a countering opinion

They are legally prohibited from censoring or preventing a countering opinion on an opinion platform

By what law? and 'censoring or preventing countering opinion'.....according to who?

Who is the arbiter of when that occurs?

[/URL]
Yes, they have the legal right. It just shows what fascists they are.
USMB can ban me anytime it wants.
You wouldn't be crying "free speech!"
If USMB were the only message board available, they wouldnt be able to for expressing an opinion

Message boards would be liable for anything posted here. They'd have to shut down immediately, or be sued into insolvency.

Arguing to shut down 230 is arguing to shut down this board.

Before 2024.........
They'll come up with some cutesy lovable name for it......but.....
The Left will pass new Laws against posting anti-Left speech on forums.

Laugh now.....be in awe later when it happens.

Magic 8 Ball tell you that, Tinfoil?

It's not like the Left hasn't already shown us that.

Censoring the Right on Twitter and Facebook etc.

C'mon.....you can't really be THAT stupid.....can you ???

If they'd already shown you the law you're referring to.....you wouldn't be checking your Magic 8 ball to tell us what was going to happen in the future.

You're literally condemning the Left for your imagination. As the 'law' you're referring to only exists there.

wow

I guess you really have missed the whole Globalist movement and all. You really believe the Biden campaign speeches.

You have no clue what you're begging for.

Shocking....but not surprising.
I missed a law that doesn't exist, but you merely imagined?

Um, yeah. You made it up. The law you're you're referring to is entirely imaginary.

The problem I have with twitter silencing once viewpoint is that while they are a private company, they use the internet infrastructure that has been paid for by taxpayers. So they are using the infrastructure I paid for to silence the political party that I prefer. (even though I'm a registered libertarian). Without the taxpayer funded internet, twitter would be nothing more than the sound a small bird makes.

THIS I have a problem with.

I disagree.

The left also owns the entire Internet....all the cellular Networks....and all the Media.

The infrastructure and servers and software systems that all run the commercial internet are owned and controlled by numerous private companies, most of which lean right as all business does in this country.
All this delusional nonsense about a left controlled media after the last five years when all of media, including all the major internet platforms and the cable news media that y’all label left wing, have given your cult leader 24/7/365 unfettered access and wall to wall continuous coverage to the point that it has almost been like he is the center of the known Universe.
I mean it’s just ludicrous to cry about left controlled media silencing the right. Y’all are whinging bitches.

Ok

Go ahead and NAME some of those companies that own the Internet infrastructure you are referring to.
I'll wait......
Even though you're TROLLING

I'll give you a hint of a few: Amazon........Google..........Facebook..........Twitter........AT&T........Comcast........
(Tell us which of those are RIGHT WING???)

[/URL]
its more about free speech than the 1st amendment,, most people dont know the difference,,,

the issue with twiiter is they dont apply their rules equally and base it on political leanings favoring one side over the other,,
No, they just don't like people using their platform to plan insurgency.

Funny stuff! Keep it up!

[/URL]

By what law? and 'censoring or preventing countering opinion'.....according to who?

You are trying word spaghetti so I will break it down
Trump has a countering political opinion to what Twitter has so he’s gone
They offer a site for opining but dictate and remove what they don’t feel good about, don’t agree with and don’t want seen.
That is prohibited by law by what is commonly known as freedom of speech and especially when you are soliciting speech as your sole business .

The problem I have with twitter silencing once viewpoint is that while they are a private company, they use the internet infrastructure that has been paid for by taxpayers. So they are using the infrastructure I paid for to silence the political party that I prefer. (even though I'm a registered libertarian). Without the taxpayer funded internet, twitter would be nothing more than the sound a small bird makes.

Are you under the impression that taxpayers have funded most internet infrastructure?
I think you are mistaken.

[/URL]

The offer a site for opining but dictate and remove what they don’t feel good about, don’t agree with and don’t want seen.
That is prohibited by law by what is commonly known as freedom of speech and especially when you are soliciting speech as your business .

'Which law' Is word spagetti? That's just two words. And it completely stumps you.

Its simple....if its forbidden by law, quote the law. And then tell us who gets to make the determination if that's happened...according to the law.

[/URL]

The offer a site for opining but dictate and remove what they don’t feel good about.
That is prohibited by law by what is commonly known as freedom of speech and especially when you are soliciting speech as your business .
No, this is not how ‘freedom of speech’ (also known as the first amendment to the constitution) works.
It only applies to the government. It only applies to the government. It only applies to the government.
Your employer can silence your speech, your spouse can silence your speech, any private company in any contract you enter into can silence your speech. And you are free not to do business with them or marry them.

The problem the Right has now is that through long term complacency, the Left fully controls not only the Social media,
but also all the cellular networks, the Internet networks AND even the Network backbones that fundamentally
make up the Internet.

In other words.....the Right has absolutely ZERO means of communications that it doesn't totally depend on the Left to allow them to have.
If and when the Left desires, it can globally silence the Right with the flip of a few switches and closed accounts.

Ironically, China is slowly manuevering the World to be dependent on it similarly.
C'mon, BIg tech has section 230. Also, why a bakery broke the law when he did not bake a guy cake?
US is done. All, we need now is kamala is POTUS, then mankind is fxxked :cool:

[/URL]

The offer a site for opining but dictate and remove what they don’t feel good about.
No, this is not how ‘freedom of speech’ (also known as the first amendment to the constitution) works.
It only applies to the government. It only applies to the government. It only applies to the government.
Your employer can silence your speech, your spouse can silence your speech, any private company in any contract you enter into can silence your speech. And you are free not to do business with them or marry them.

Exactly. You're free to say what you like. Just not necessarily using someone else's private property.

The problem the Right has now is that through long term complacency, the Left fully controls not only the Social media,
but also all the cellular networks, the Internet networks AND even the Network backbones that fundamentally
make up the Internet.

In other words.....the Right has absolutely ZERO means of communications that it doesn't totally depend on the Left to allow them to have.
If and when the Left desires, it can globally silence the Right with the flip of a few switches and closed accounts.

Ironically, China is slowly manuevering the World to be dependent on it similarly.
C'mon, BIg tech has section 230. Also, why a bakery broke the law when he did not bake a guy cake?
US is done. All, we need now is kamala is POTUS, then mankind is fxxked :cool:

And what law was the cake guy fined under?

Spoiler Alert: it wasn't Section 230. It wasn't any federal law.

[/URL]
its more about free speech than the 1st amendment,, most people dont know the difference,,,

the issue with twiiter is they dont apply their rules equally and base it on political leanings favoring one side over the other,,

Twitter isn't a government entity.. You are still missing the point.

I disagree.

Ok

Go ahead and NAME some of those companies that own the Internet infrastructure you are referring to.
I'll wait......

I'll give you a hint of a few: Amazon........Google..........Facebook..........Twitter........AT&T........Comcast........
Jeff Bezos is the richest person who ever lived and his employees qualify for public assistance and piss into empty pop bottles because he won’t give them piss breaks. That’s about as right wing as a person can be, no matter what mask he wears in public so he’ll get social invitations. All of those other companies are aggressive about shareholder profits and dividends and not about workers rights or even consumer rights. They are classic proponents of unfettered capitalism and profit maximization at any cost.
You seem to think because these media corporations project the music films and other media made by lefty artists and film stars, that it means the companies are left wing too. You have a really simple grasp (or lack thereof) of fairly complicated systems. Media corporations that sell liberal content are not therefore liberal, they’re simply clever businesspeople who aren’t going to ignore the majority of the consumer population.

I disagree.

Ok

I'll wait......

Jeff Bezos is the richest person who ever lived and his employees qualify for public assistance and piss into empty pop bottles because he won’t give them piss breaks. That’s about as right wing as a person can be, no matter what mask he wears in public so he’ll get social invitations. All of those other companies are aggressive about shareholder profits and dividends and not about workers rights or even consumer rights. They are classic proponents of unfettered capitalism and profit maximization at any cost.
You seem to think because these media corporations project the music films and other media made by lefty artists and film stars and such that it means the companies after left wing too. You have a really simple grasp (or lack thereof) of fairly complicated systems. Media corporations that sell liberal content are not therefore liberal, they’re simply clever businesspeople who aren’t going to ignore the majority of the consumer population.

Elon Musk is richer.

Forum List

Back