Harris County, TX grand jury declines to charge customer who shot, killed robber during taqueria heist

A made-up code from Hollywood's fictionalized image of a “Cowboy”, far removed from any Real World concepts of cowboyhood.

Not to say that it's not a good code, in its own right. The fictionalized Hollywood “cowboy”, as a heroic role model for young boys, made a good vehicle by which to deliver a code of good ethical principles. But it is not, never was, and never will be, the genuine instance of The Code of the West.

Red Garters remains •THE• definitive reference on the true version of The Code of the West.
or a peek into america's heritage. the cowboy west, fictional as it is , does have some value in teaching the manly values so lacking in our culture?

here is a more extensive, and , probably older version by zane grey, maybe a little less woke than singing cowboy gene autrey

• Don’t inquire into a person’s past. Take the measure of a man for what he is today.
  • Never steal another man’s horse. A horse thief pays with his life.
  • Defend yourself whenever necessary.
  • Look out for your own.
  • Remove your guns before sitting at the dining table.
  • Never order anything weaker than whiskey.
  • Don’t make a threat without expecting dire consequences.
  • Never pass anyone on the trail without saying “Howdy”.
  • When approaching someone from behind, give a loud greeting before you get within shooting range.
  • Don’t wave at a man on a horse, as it might spook the horse. A nod is the proper greeting.
  • After you pass someone on the trail, don’t look back at him. It implies you don’t trust him.
  • Riding another man’s horse without his permission is nearly as bad as making love to his wife. Never even bother another man’s horse.
  • Always fill your whiskey glass to the brim.
  • A cowboy doesn’t talk much; he saves his breath for breathing.
  • No matter how weary and hungry you are after a long day in the saddle, always tend to your horse’s needs before your own, and get your horse some feed before you eat.
  • Cuss all you want, but only around men, horses and cows.
  • Complain about the cooking and you become the cook.
  • Do not practice ingratitude.
  • A cowboy is pleasant even when out of sorts.
  • Complaining is what quitters do, and cowboys hate quitters.
  • Always drink your whiskey with your gun hand, to show your friendly intentions.
  • Always be courageous.
  • Cowards aren’t tolerated in any outfit worth its salt.

• A cowboy always helps someone in need, even a stranger or an enemy.
  • Never try on another man’s hat.
  • Be hospitable to strangers. Anyone who wanders in, including an enemy, is welcome at the dinner table. The same was true for riders who joined cowboys on the range.
  • Give your enemy a fighting chance.
  • Never wake another man by shaking or touching him, as he might wake suddenly and shoot you.
  • Real cowboys are modest. A braggert who is “all gurgle and no guts” is not tolerated.
  • Be there for a friend when he needs you.
  • Drinking on duty is grounds for instant dismissal and blacklisting.
  • A cowboy is loyal to his “brand,” to his friends, and those he rides with.
  • Never shoot an unarmed or unwarned enemy. This was also known as “the rattlesnake code”: always warn before you strike. However, if a man was being stalked, this could be ignored.
  • Never shoot a woman no matter what.
  • Consideration for others is central to the code, such as: Don’t stir up dust around the chuck wagon, don’t wake up the wrong man for herd duty, etc.
  • Respect the land and the environment by not smoking in hazardous fire areas, disfiguring rocks, trees, or other natural areas.
  • Honesty is absolute – your word is your bond, a handshake is more binding than a contract.
  • Live by the Golden Rule.
-Code courtesy of Zane Grey in the 1934 novel, The Code of the West

i really don't mind when you guys shoot criminals, but i am a little concerned that a wild shot might endanger the waitress or that appearances might lead to a split second decision to shoot the wrong guy.
That guy was well trained with a firearm.

Rittenhouse rules apply more and more across America, as gun related crime escalates past the police's ability to control the situations that endanger their own lives.

The risk has become unacceptable to police and citizens are feeling forced to resort to vigilantism.

Gun related violence in America will spiral more out of control accordingly.
Do you know the history of the word, vigilantism? It comes from the days of the Founding and before, and even for some significant time afterwards, when communities were protected not by police, because there was not a single organized police department in England or in the United States. Communities were protected by the town watch or town crier. And their assignment was to be vigilant. If they saw a crime being committed, or were waved down by a crime victim, they would raise the cry, ringing the bell, or blowing whistles. The men of the town, the militia, would grab their guns and come running.

Vigilantism was a great thing and we need to go back to it. The streets were far safer as was liberty.

Rittenhouse rules apply, as is demonstrated with this example. American citizens in large numbers are fantasizing over having an opportunity to kill another American.

This is the instructions they need to make it safe for them. You're going to come to understand the reason why more civilized countries don't give free rein to vigilante justice.

America's justice system could become swamped with cases of trying to decide who's the good guy and who's the bad guy, or who shot first?

It's a whole new experiment that's not been tried in any other modern civilized country and so there will be questions to answer that can't be answered by a shooter's skin colour.

In any case, this is a great opportunity to discuss the vigilante issue that's becoming more prominent.
You're completely wrong. The vigilante system is well done and very well known in history. It is exactly how policing was done throughout the western world from long before, centuries even before, the ratification of our Constitution and our Bill of Rights. And it was the system for about 50 years after the ratification. Having an organized police force is something our Founders would never have stood for. The towns people, themselves, were the peacekeepers and law enforcers. And the streets weren't perfectly safe, no streets in history ever have been, but they were far safer than our streets today.

The more we return to an armed society, the safer our streets will become.

The Code of the West [And you're required to tip your hat every time someone says “The Code of the West”] is that if someone kills your brother, you're obligated to find out who killed him, and kill that person. It applies even if your brother was some lowly subhuman piece of criminal shit that needed to be killed.

The most definitive reference on The Code of the West is a 1954 movie titled Red Garters. Alas, I cannot find any account on the Internet that gives any synopsis of this move that isn't terribly incorrect, nor any that give a reasonable account of The Code of the West as defined in this movie.

I guess the only way that anyone can ever truly understand The Code of the West is to directly view the entire movie. In my opinion, it is very well worth watching.

I was hoping, at the every least, to be able to find a video online, of the part where The Code of the West is explained, but I have been completely unable to do so.

Best I can do is this video of a striptease that Rosemary Clooney performs, in the movie, while singing the title song of the movie.

You should watch less TV and read more history books.

You're completely wrong. The vigilante system is well done and very well known in history. It is exactly how policing was done throughout the western world from long before, centuries even before, the ratification of our Constitution and our Bill of Rights. And it was the system for about 50 years after the ratification. Having an organized police force is something our Founders would never have stood for. The towns people, themselves, were the peacekeepers and law enforcers. And the streets weren't perfectly safe, no streets in history ever have been, but they were far safer than our streets today.

The more we return to an armed society, the safer our streets will become.
What do you think I'm wrong about?

Do you know the history of the word, vigilantism? It comes from the days of the Founding and before, and even for some significant time afterwards, when communities were protected not by police, because there was not a single organized police department in England or in the United States. Communities were protected by the town watch or town crier. And their assignment was to be vigilant. If they saw a crime being committed, or were waved down by a crime victim, they would raise the cry, ringing the bell, or blowing whistles. The men of the town, the militia, would grab their guns and come running.

Vigilantism was a great thing and we need to go back to it. The streets were far safer as was liberty.
I did mention a modern society so I don't necessarily disagree with you. Fwiw, I don't agree with a lot of it but whatever? You've goinie off like an extremist before any rational discussion could even begin.

Forum List

Back