Hardy hibiscus

Stann

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2021
Here in the upper Midwest hardy hibiscus forms nice shrubs with huge flowers mid to late summer. Requires no special care, likes full sun. Does back to the ground in fall. Needs at least 3 to 4 feet of space, outstanding if set off by self. Enjoy !
IMG_20210809_110252.jpg
IMG_20210809_110123.jpg

Ours are like red, and white as well. We planted them next to banana trees so they get some shade. They are very hardy plants though.

February's snowstorm here in Texas all but wiped mine out.

All the limbs died.

There is just now some green leaves sprouting from the base.

May have flowers again next summer.

Storm took a heavy toll on them.

My Mom and her Buddy June were big into Hibiscus. June owned a greenhouse company that sold to landscapers.
They cross breeded several and came up with new varieties that they actually got to name so of course our yard was covered in Hibiscus.

I have roses of sharon and swamp hibiscus which are more or less first cousins.

I have roses of sharon and swamp hibiscus which are more or less first cousins.
Had a Rose of Sharon for my mother's yard in Pennsylvania. It didn't survive here Nebraska. Beautiful shrubs thank you, Stan

Had a Rose of Sharon for my mother's yard in Pennsylvania. It didn't survive here Nebraska. Beautiful shrubs thank you, Stan

I only keep them around really because of nostalgia from my earliest memories stage of existence. Here in Virginia, they can be rather annoying to have because they spread everywhere if you let them. They are second only to those little maple tree helicopters in adding to my annual weeding burdens.

I only keep them around really because of nostalgia from my earliest memories stage of existence. Here in Virginia, they can be rather annoying to have because they spread everywhere if you let them. They are second only to those little maple tree helicopters in adding to my annual weeding burdens.
In PA they weren't a problem about spreading and the girls are big sized shrubs 8-10 ft tall. The small one or transplanted here to Nebraska never got very big at all and died back each year, then it finally completely died.

In PA they weren't a problem about spreading and the girls are big sized shrubs 8-10 ft tall. The small one or transplanted here to Nebraska never got very big at all and died back each year, then it finally completely died.

]My swamp hibiscus die back every year to the ground but do grow back without any babying them. Only thing I don't like about them is they aren't as prolific bloomers as their kin folk. The Roses of sharon just go dormant. You really need a clump of them together to have any sort of wow factor. Just one growing by itself not so impressive the trunks are so spindly.

]My swamp hibiscus die back every year to the ground but do grow back without any babying them. Only thing I don't like about them is they aren't as prolific bloomers as their kin folk. The Roses of sharon just go dormant. You really need a clump of them together to have any sort of wow factor. Just one growing by itself not so impressive the trunks are so spindly.
Thanks again, Stan. Do you have any toad lilies ? They coming at least two different varieties and they are colorful beautiful late-blooming plants. Here they bloom right up till first Frost. In the fall when I have some pictures I'm going to start a thread on those. They are from Japan. Walmart sells them in those boxes early in the spring. I'm very glad I got those.

Thanks again, Stan. Do you have any toad lilies ? They coming at least two different varieties and they are colorful beautiful late-blooming plants. Here they bloom right up till first Frost. In the fall when I have some pictures I'm going to start a thread on those. They are from Japan. Walmart sells them in those boxes early in the spring. I'm very glad I got those.

No. I have seen them. I haven't done much with the full shade part of my property because the full shade area keeps getting more sun every year. I am waiting until a gigantic elm to die or fall to see what things look like after that. It has such a big lean to it, it surely won't be around too many more years. That is also where the deer like to hang out as it is next to the woods so most things I do plant there get eaten back or down.

No. I have seen them. I haven't done much with the full shade part of my property because the full shade area keeps getting more sun every year. I am waiting until a gigantic elm to die or fall to see what things look like after that. It has such a big lean to it, it surely won't be around too many more years. That is also where the deer like to hang out as it is next to the woods so most things I do plant there get eaten back or down.
Toad Lilies are deer resistant. You got a plan. Hope it all works out for you. Thanks, Stan.

Forum List

Back