Happy 50th

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
To all my fellow vets especially those who served in country. Today is the 50th anniversary of the end our out involvement in Vietnam.

220325-D-RB598-001.JPG

Some wars...never end:

A U.S. veterans organization launched a $500,000 program Monday to remove landmines and unexploded bombs in central Vietnam, one of the most heavily bombed areas during the War.
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, which built the Washington, D.C., landmark, is backing Project RENEW, a two-year pilot program aimed at removing the war's deadly leftovers from Trieu Phong district in central Quang Tri province along the former demilitarized zone.
``We have 4.4 million people visit the memorial every year and we see Project RENEW as an extension of that healing,'' said group director Jan Scruggs.

Nearly 40,000 people have been killed in Vietnam by landmines or unexploded ordnance since the end of the war in 1975. In Trieu Phong district, about 1,500 people have died. The majority of victims are hurt or killed while scavenging for scrap metal or explosives for use in fishing.

To all my fellow vets especially those who served in country. Today is the 50th anniversary of the end our out involvement in Vietnam.

220325-D-RB598-001.JPG
your lucky you live pass childhood. You lucky you lived this long, my brothers served.

220325-D-RB598-001.JPG
I can never forget. 305 of my buddies are on Panel 3E of the VN Wall. We honor them every Nov 14-17 at the Wall in Arlington.

I had a high lottery number, and didn't have to go. At the time, I didn't thank those returning adequately, or even consider what they had been through. They were just highschool friends who had been gone for a while, and now they were back. I tell myself I did that because I didn't understand much of what they experienced. I should have done differently. I regret that I didn't.

I can never forget. 305 of my buddies are on Panel 3E of the VN Wall. We honor them every Nov 14-17 at the Wall in Arlington.

The good ole days, when celebrities held a torch for our soldiers.
I mean............seriously...........Chuck Norris sharing and caring, till the day he dies.

1680139306385.jpeg

Even Chuck knows when he's outmatched. But he'd protect them all!

070612-airforcesaluting.jpg

120331-Z-WM529-048.JPG

The good ole days, when celebrities held a torch for our soldiers.
I mean............seriously...........Chuck Norris sharing and caring, till the day he dies.

View attachment 770863

Even Chuck knows when he's outmatched. But he'd protect them all!

070612-airforcesaluting.jpg

120331-Z-WM529-048.JPG
Yes, but the hippies and flower children didn't. We had to fight those heathen bastards when we got back.

The issue wth peacenik tree huggers isn't their ideology of peace, it's the means in whiich they often express it. How does blaming the guy who was drafted help.their cause? Even a vo!unteer doesn't get to pick his battles. So never blame the soldier, blame the politician if you disagree with a policy position, especially war.

I've had quite a few friends and acquaintances that came back from Vietnam war. Some came back with habits.

They were good people, but they had habits..It didn't really affect them during the workday, but after the day was done..

They were to be left alone.

Yes, but the hippies and flower children didn't. We had to fight those heathen bastards when we got back.
I joined the Navy when I turned 18 in 74'.
By the time I got out of HT'A' School it was the middle of 75'.
They stopped awarding the Nat Def ribbon around the time I signed up for delayed entry.

I was part of the flotilla that picked up refugees from Cambodia in 78'.
I ended up going to electronics school with some of those refugees when I was going to school in San Diego.
They found out I what I did and some of them came up to me and thanked me.
Course....that was better than the treatment I got while I was active-duty from American civilians.
Screaming "Baby-Killer" at me when I was walking beside the road (on post no less).

Probably Navy Brats. :iagree:

Last edited:
Not really.
"Approximately $7.12 billion was still in Afghanistan after the withdrawal, including aircraft, air-to-ground munitions, military vehicles, weapons, communications equipment and more."

2.12 billion dollars more, jackass.

your lucky you live pass childhood. You lucky you lived this long, my brothers served.
I missed Nam by two weeks. Just before I graduated from "A" School (1973) in San Diego my orders for Nam were cancelled and I went to Panama instead. My dad did a TDY and one full tour followed by frequent short trips to Nam when we lived in the Pacific.

I missed Nam by two weeks. Just before I graduated from "A" School (1973) in San Diego my orders for Nam were cancelled and I went to Panama instead. My dad did a TDY and one full tour followed by frequent short trips to Nam when we lived in the Pacific.
You'll get your chance when the trannies go on the warpath.

"Approximately $7.12 billion was still in Afghanistan after the withdrawal, including aircraft, air-to-ground munitions, military vehicles, weapons, communications equipment and more."

2.12 billion dollars more, jackass.

Wrong.

That was $5 billion worth of equipment, in 1973. Adjusted for inflation, that was $30.4 billion worth of equipment today.

So yes, far more was left in Vietnam than was left in Afghanistan.

To just give an idea, the most advanced fighter of the Afghan Air Force in 2021 was around 2 dozen Super Tucano's.

In South Vietnam, the US left the South Vietnamese Air Force over 300 A-1 Skyraiders. Almost 200 F-5 Tiger fighters. Over 150 A-37 Dragonfly fighters. Plus around 800 cargo aircraft, and over 650 helicopters. We left enough equipment to give South Vietnam a fairly modern military force.

Mostly what we left in Afghanistan was the dregs that they did not want to bother to bring back.

Last edited:
Sept 73' was the start of my H.S. senior year.
I was in class 74-344 in Boot Camp. I was a Push Button HT3 by the time I got to 'A' School. I gave the Navy 5 years.

What was your rating?
I can't remember all of the ratings that had an 'A' school at NTC.
They had a pretty good Navy Cook school there. It was pretty extensive.

I went to Boot Camp at NTC and HT'A' Phase II there starting in 75'. Phase one was at Treasure Island SF. That's where they had the Fire-Fighting training and Damage Control School.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back