Happy 4th of July Eve's Eve!

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I loves me some Independence day fireworks and celebration when people seem to be in good moods and the neighbors want to help you with your fireworks!

Some interesting quotes from our Founding Fathers.

"I think he [Jefferson] had one more vote than any other, and that placed him at the head of the committee. I had the next highest number, and that placed me second. The committee met, discussed the subject, [of the Declaration of Independence] and then appointed Mr. Jefferson and me to make the draught, I suppose because we were the two first on the list. The subcommittee met. Jefferson proposed to me to make the draught. Adams: I will not. Jefferson: You should do it. Adams: Oh! no. Jefferson Why will you not? You ought to do it. Adams: I will not. Jefferson: Why? Adams: Reasons enough. Jefferson: What can be your reasons?" - John Adams

"Reason first: You are a Virginian and a Virginian out to appear at the head of this business. Reason second: I am obnoxious, suspected and unpopular. You are very much otherwise. Reason third: You can write tem times better than I can." - John Adams in response to Mr Jefferson

"It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not." - John Adams

"All men are created equally free and independent, and have certain ihherent rights, of which they cannont, by any compact, deprive or divest their prosterity: among which are the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and possessing property, and pursuing the obtaining happiness and safety." - George Mason

"We have this day restored the Sovereign to whom alone men ought to be obedient. He reigns in Heaven, and with a propitious eye beholds his subjects assuming that freedom of thought and dignity of self-direction which He bestowed on them. From the rising to the setting sun, may His kingdom come!" - Samuel Adams

"The greatest [calamity] which could befall [us would be] submission to a government of unlimited powers." - Thomas Jefferson

"There! His Majesty can now read my name without glasses. And he can double the reward on my head!" - John hancock

"I shall have a great advantage over you, Mr. Gerry, when we are all hung for what we are now doing [signing the Declaration of Independence]. For the size and weight of my body I shall die in a few minutes, but from the lightness of your body you will dance in the air an hour or two before you are dead" Benjamin Harrison

"Before God, I believe the hour has come. My judgment approves this measure, and my whole heart is in it. All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope in this life, I am now ready here to stake upon it. And I leave off as I began, that live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration. It is my living sentiment, and by the blessing of God it shall be my dying sentiment, Independence now, and Independence for ever!" - John Adams

"Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed." - Thomas Jefferson

The motion to declare independence in that 2nd Continental Congress was made by Richard Henry Lee, of the familyt of Robert E Lee, but not a direct forebear.

I could do without the fireworks. Worst night of the year for my dogs. Like the music though and will have to watch a John Wayne movie and perhaps The Sandlot. Probably will get on Facebook and post, "Feliz 4 de julio" for my conservative friends.

Happy 4th all

Last edited:
I could do without the fireworks. Worst night of the year for my dogs. Like the music though and will have to watch a John Wayne movie and perhaps The Sandlot. Probably will get on Facebook and post, "Feliz 4 de julio" for my conservative friends.

Happy 4th all
Happy 4th!

Does it strike anyone as ironic that Jefferson tried to talk Adams into writing the Declaration?

Forum List

Back