Half the country thinks a civil war is likely

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
A majority of Republicans (52%) also say it’s likely that “there will be a civil war in the United States in [their] lifetime”; half of independents (50%) and a plurality of Democrats (46%) agree. In each group, fewer than 4 in 10 say another civil war is unlikely.

And perhaps most unsettling of all, only about half of Americans are willing to rule out “physical violence” (50%) and “taking up arms against the government” (47%) when asked if there are times when such measures “would be justified in order to protect the country from radical extremists.” About a quarter of Americans say that violence (26%) and taking up arms (23%) could be justified.

These tendencies, it’s worth noting, are particularly pronounced on the right — as Jan. 6 itself demonstrated. Nearly 8 in 10 Trump voters (79%) say “limiting free speech” is off-limits as a method to protect the country from radical extremists; 65% say the same about “protesting outside personal residences of government officials.” Yet only 39% reject taking up arms against the government in such situations — and nearly as many (31%) say it could be justified.

Just 15% of Biden voters agree.

I think that 15% number of Biden voters will change their opinion if Trump gets elected in 2024.

But this is scary shit IMHO, that ought not to be ignored. It won't be a geographical thing like the original Civil War was with the North against the South, it'll likely be more localized with different factions attacking one another in the streets and maybe not just in the major cities either. Wish I could see a way forward that is peaceful, but I don't. I think we're too divided and becoming more so.

Note: this poll is the same one that Votto posted a thread on, concerning the end of democracy.

This thread focuses more on the possibility of violence and a new civil war.

Last edited:
....way overdue.

I would post Clemenza profound advise regarding stopping Hitler at Munich.

The Progressives, including both Bushes, have been stomping on America for over 100 years! Need to rescind 13, 16 and 17th Amendments

A majority of Republicans (52%) also say it’s likely that “there will be a civil war in the United States in [their] lifetime”; half of independents (50%) and a plurality of Democrats (46%) agree. In each group, fewer than 4 in 10 say another civil war is unlikely.

And perhaps most unsettling of all, only about half of Americans are willing to rule out “physical violence” (50%) and “taking up arms against the government” (47%) when asked if there are times when such measures “would be justified in order to protect the country from radical extremists.” About a quarter of Americans say that violence (26%) and taking up arms (23%) could be justified.

These tendencies, it’s worth noting, are particularly pronounced on the right — as Jan. 6 itself demonstrated. Nearly 8 in 10 Trump voters (79%) say “limiting free speech” is off-limits as a method to protect the country from radical extremists; 65% say the same about “protesting outside personal residences of government officials.” Yet only 39% reject taking up arms against the government in such situations — and nearly as many (31%) say it could be justified.

I think that 15% number of Biden voters will change their opinion if Trump gets elected in 2024.

But this is scary shit IMHO, that ought not to be ignored. It won't be a geographical thing like the original Civil War was with the North against the South, it'll likely be more localized with different factions attacking one another in the streets and maybe not just in the major cities either. Wish I could see a way forward that is peaceful, but I don't. I think we're too divided and becoming more so.

Note: this poll is the same one that Votto posted a thread on, concerning the end of democracy.

It would seem to me the whites who are afraid they are being replaced want to purge our society of colored people. Wouldn't you guys love to go attack them in the ghettos? While America is still 49% white, you could reduce their numbers and hardly suffer any casualties because most of the fighting will be in places like Detroit and Chicago.

I think Republicans would love a civil war. They are the modern day Confederates. Only this time they'll have Trump as the President not Lincoln. My how the Republican party has changed. From passing civil rights to taking them away.

Do you want to know why the majority of Repubs know a civil war is coming? Because we warn the left repeatedly to just leave us alone, but they ignore our warnings.
There will come a point in the not too distant future where we won't budge, so the left will try to force us.

The progressive collectivists will start a war just by continuing down their chosen path.
The right doesn't start the wars, we end the ones started by the left

This is what happens when our elected officials divide the nation by design in order to hold on to power.

There has been a concerted effort since the early 90s to divide the nation to ensure there was never again a threat to the duopoly.

Some of us are waging a guerilla war against the establishment's plans for us by,
Maintaining our physical and mental health.
Providing for our financial security.
Enjoying our lives.

These are the things that ensure the independence and freedom of the individual, but is the bane of Democrat controlled government.

Some of us are waging a guerilla war against the establishment's plans for us by,
Maintaining our physical and mental health.
Providing for our financial security.
Enjoying our lives.

These are the things that ensure the independence and freedom of the individual, but is the bane of Democrat controlled government.

Those things are the bane of both parties in this country. The idea one is more benevolent or cares about you any more is just simple naivety.

Those things are the bane of both parties in this country. The idea one is more benevolent or cares about you any more is just simple naivety.
It's the conservative ideals that are important to me, but only the individual can implement them into their own lives. Thankfully we can still do that.

It would seem to me the whites who are afraid they are being replaced want to purge our society of colored people. Wouldn't you guys love to go attack them in the ghettos? While America is still 49% white, you could reduce their numbers and hardly suffer any casualties because most of the fighting will be in places like Detroit and Chicago.

I think Republicans would love a civil war. They are the modern day Confederates. Only this time they'll have Trump as the President not Lincoln. My how the Republican party has changed. From passing civil rights to taking them away.
Who is a greater danger---Hispanics or Blacks?

It's the conservative ideals that are important to me, but only the individual can implement them into their own lives. Thankfully we can still do that.

On this we concur. I only wish we had a political party that actually had some conservative ideals outside of a few minor parties nobody will vote for

Do you want to know why the majority of Repubs know a civil war is coming? Because we warn the left repeatedly to just leave us alone, but they ignore our warnings.
There will come a point in the not too distant future where we won't budge, so the left will try to force us.

The progressive collectivists will start a war just by continuing down their chosen path.
The right doesn't start the wars, we end the ones started by the left
Who will the REAL winners be in the 2nd civil war? Hint: It won't be Republicans or Democrats. And once Marshall law is declared, you WILL give up your guns.

Forum List

Back