Gun stories.

Grumpyolman

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2018
San Diego
I was about 23, living in Ruidoso, New Mexico with about 5 other guys in the same house. I still had the .22 rifle, "Training in gun safety." in a rifle bag another friend had given me to preserve it.
One day I noticed the .22 was gone. I effing freaked out, thought it had been stolen, interrogated everyone there. Some with overblown suspicion. Which I still regret.
One of the guys was a cabinet maker. Unbeknownst to me he had taken the .22, with it's wooden stock beat up and scuffed from multiple adventures when I was a kid, and completely sanded and refinished it. Beautifully. Far better than it's original finish from the Marlin factory.
When I thanked him profusely and asked him why he did it, he said he only wished HE had a prized possession like the .22.

I was about 23, living in Ruidoso, New Mexico with about 5 other guys in the same house. I still had the .22 rifle, "Training in gun safety." in a rifle bag another friend had given me to preserve it.
One day I noticed the .22 was gone. I effing freaked out, thought it had been stolen, interrogated everyone there. Some with overblown suspicion. Which I still regret.
One of the guys was a cabinet maker. Unbeknownst to me he had taken the .22, with it's wooden stock beat up and scuffed from multiple adventures when I was a kid, and completely sanded and refinished it. Beautifully. Far better than it's original finish from the Marlin factory.
When I thanked him profusely and asked him why he did it, he said he only wished HE had a prized possession like the .22.
You claim gun safety and it wasn't locked in a secure safe?

You claim gun safety and it wasn't locked in a secure safe?
Almost everybody in the rural areas of the American West at that time had guns. I don't think anybody had a gun safe or even a trigger lock. Unless there were small children around.
The guns were usually kept in a closet or just leaned up against the wall. Or hanging from the gun rack in their pickup.
And amazingly, we didn't shoot each other.
Times have changed. Sadly.

Almost everybody in the rural areas of the American West at that time had guns. I don't think anybody had a gun safe or even a trigger lock. Unless there were small children around.
The guns were usually kept in a closet or just leaned up against the wall. Or hanging from the gun rack in their pickup.
Wasn't gun safe then, still isn't. But as long as that dream is clung onto.....I thought it was just your Democrats that were fuelled by dreams. Are American gun owners Democrats too?

Ready for another true gun story?
I had recently married my wife of 45 years. She was raised on the East coast, and had no real world experience with fire arms,
I wanted to familiarize her with the basics, and train her in the rules I knew so well.
The logical choice for this was the .22 rifle, with a very mild report (no earplugs) and no kick at all with subsonic ammo.
I took her to the desert outside El Paso, TX. And set up some targets for her to shoot.
We shot a little, she was beginning to get the
the idea.
Thats when a car came down the dirt road, with six passengers, some really shady looking individuals.
We were basically in the middle of nowhere, They stopped their car, looked at my wife, and smiled as they got out of the car.
They couldn’t see the little pop gun .22.
Until I just ejected the spent cartridge and reloaded. I never aimed the rifle at them (against the rules)
I’ll never forget how the expressions on their faces changed. Haha.
They literally ran back to their car And took off in a cloud of dust.
It was another lesson.

Last edited:
The cell phone addicted idiots just don't get it. And the world moves on, as it always has. For better or worse. Probably worse. I won't be here when the apocalypse comes down. I pray for the safety of my grandkids.

I have a grandson that just turned 18 so I transferred several heirloom long-guns to him the other day......Sadly he will have to wait till he's 21 for the handguns.
Why? Are you in a state with prohibitions beyond those of the Feds? There's no Federal law against him having handguns.

Or in beautiful gun cabinets with beautifully wooden-framed leaded-glass doors in the living room and everyone from the pastor to the Fuller Brush man knew of your guns - and they were perfectly safe. Safe for kids to be around and safe from theft. Then LBJ hit. Before that, I had never heard of or seen a home gun safe - at least not anything designed for guns and especially for long guns.

Or in beautiful gun cabinets with beautifully wooden-framed leaded-glass doors in the living room and everyone from the pastor to the Fuller Brush man knew of your guns - and they were perfectly safe. Safe for kids to be around and safe from theft. Then LBJ hit. Before that, I had never heard of or seen a home gun safe - at least not anything designed for guns and especially for long guns.
Hell, I built a gun room with a prison security door.

No, but I'd have to transfer them to his dad, they live in MI.....I'll wait.
I'm not criticizing or challenging, I'm just asking. So does Michigan have laws that you have to do an FFL transfer to give guns to your grandson?

Interesting. So you're going along with Virginia's choice to impose on Virginia even though your grandson is in Michigan.

I mean, you can choose to wait; they're your guns and you're grandpa, but I don't accept gun control ideas just because the government says they're good. If they're the law, then I comply. So I assume that it is your personal choice that those under age 21 should not have access to guns?

I'm asking because I'm kind of in the same boat - except there is not even a question of law; I'm considering giving my guns to my grandson because I certainly am not taking them to war; I collected them almost purely for the pleasure and comfort of owning them but at my age now it is time to start thinking of disposition.

When I'm ready to throw the switch, though, they will all go to the grandson except a small number I keep for self-defense. But I don't think that the decision of what goes will be based on category, such as shotgun or handgun or long gun; it will be just based on what I think I need to hang on to.

So I'm curious what makes a gun-rights person hold off on the handguns - and thus the point of my question. Is it that you're going the extra mile in complying with regulations or is it your personal belief that your grandson can be trusted with long guns but is not quite there yet on the handguns?

Forum List

Back