Gun Control and Immigration Reform

GTA

Rookie
Oct 16, 2013
I'm not portending the issues in the subject of this post are not ones that warrant healthy debate in congress, but why are these the ones that I continually hear in the media are the "big ones" that need to be tackled by politicians? Why not tackle real "big ones" that normal people really care about (and are very likely to agree about) like gerrymandering, TANF and the staggering effects of paying interest on our national debt?

I can't help but notice that immigration reform and gun control are deeply polarizing issues where the public at large is highly divided. However everyone would agree that the $200+ billion we pay per year in national debt interest, the ~$400 billion we pay each year in TANF are things that need to be reduced one way or the other. A large majority would agree that we need to reduce assistance to foreign countries ($25+ billion per year) and bring our troops home ($100+ billion??)

So why do I constantly hear in the media about the need to address polarizing issues? Why not a demand to address issues that are equally or more important that the citizenry is more likely to agree on how to solve? I don't get it? :confused:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back