Guitar Players (or wanna be's like me)

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
I posted one of this guys videos in another thread, but then I found this one- I'm not a proponent of internet learning- until I ran across this guy- his style suits me to a tee as I use my thumb rather than a pick and using my other fingers for finger pickin is just beyond my skill level at this point in time. He makes pickin out a melody isimple/easy to do.

I posted one of this guys videos in another thread, but then I found this one- I'm not a proponent of internet learning- until I ran across this guy- his style suits me to a tee as I use my thumb rather than a pick and using my other fingers for finger pickin is just beyond my skill level at this point in time. He makes pickin out a melody isimple/easy to do.

Figured you for a sometimes picker. Haven't taken mine off the wall or out of closet in years. Was a thumb and three finger picker, myself as I never made a pick strike the strings like I wanted, except for strumming.

• Banned
Figured you for a sometimes picker
Full time thumb plucker would be more accurate - LOL- I'm a cowboy chorder mostly and use my thumb plucking for emphasis- I know absolutely 0 about individual notes, where they are, or how they sound- but, with this guys help (the video) I can, I hope, teach myself, like I have everything else I do, how to incorporate individual notes into what I do- which ain't half bad, but I want more- I'm 73 so time is short- and I am in a bit of a hurry- for posterity sake-

Full time thumb plucker would be more accurate - LOL- I'm a cowboy chorder mostly and use my thumb plucking for emphasis- I know absolutely 0 about individual notes, where they are, or how they sound- but, with this guys help (the video) I can, I hope, teach myself, like I have everything else I do, how to incorporate individual notes into what I do- which ain't half bad, but I want more- I'm 73 so time is short- and I am in a bit of a hurry- for posterity sake-
About the same.
Posterity sake, my ass. Suspect you are still engaged, having a good time and planning to hang around, knowing posterity can take care of itself.

Wish I could grow fingernails like that, but

I wanna be like this guy when I grow up.

He's telling you the what but not the why. The mechanics.

So you can imitate the mechanics he is doing but not understand why he is doing it that way?

It's probably a lot simpler than you think.

When he says go to a D7 chord, what does that mean to you?

I don't like using a pick. Of course, I'm not trying to be a rock star either. I don't even hardly touch my electric guitars anymore. And not really into a bunch of loud noise these days. Not that I really ever was.

Over time I've learned that I prefer my 12 string over my 6 string. That's a little harder to play without a pick, but like anything, repetition is the easiest means.

D7 chord, the opposite of the D chord shape- I'm not as stupid as you, I just haven't spent years learning notes and whatevers on a fret board- I like what I do- if you don't, don't listen- and you might consider something constructive in your repertoire of negativity

The internet is full of self appointed critics.

I'll say what I say to anyone of any skill level who plays any instrument.

Just have fun.

D7 chord, the opposite of the D chord shape- I'm not as stupid as you, I just haven't spent years learning notes and whatevers on a fret board- I like what I do- if you don't, don't listen- and you might consider something constructive in your repertoire of negativity
Don't get me wrong. I used to teach guitar professionally. Just because you are 73 does not necessarily mean that you cannot learn music theory. I don't ascribe to the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" cliché/mantra/overgeneralization.

The fact that you started this thread indicates to me that you want to learn more.

I used to teach guitar professionally.
Used to being key- I still am learning and will continue learning, what I want to learn, not what a "professional" thinks I should know- I know what I know and add to it every time I play- every time. The video I posted helps me improve what I already know and from that I can incorporate it into what I do, just as I have every time I learned a new chord for a different song- I learned my first song when I was 15, in the key of C- using the C chord, G7 and F (in simple shapes) and have grown my repertoire into the songs I now play, as well as the first one- I now practice 10 or so songs (of the nearly 40 I can play if I try) to improve my delivery of them and improve my voice as well-
I will not use a pick because I don't like the sound sitting on top of the pick and wouldn't if my chin was resting on a famous pickers shoulder- I like the video mainly because, he doesn't brag about his resume and shows what to do (the mechanics) which singles out single notes, which can be incorporated into other songs since other songs have the same notes, (or different ones) which I will get around to, eventually- this old dog is learning new tricks- and he does it his way- I play the hand I was dealt, don't care what the rules say, and I'm winning, cause I do it my way-

Most likely going to resolve to the I chord, the G major in this case.

Nice to know stuff, but some of the greatest musicians and songwriters in history didn't read music.

Most likely going to resolve to the I chord, the G major in this case.

Nice to know stuff, but some of the greatest musicians and songwriters in history didn't read music.
Jimmy Hendrix couldn't sight read musical notation but he sure as hell understood music theory and the mathematics/physics involved.

Last edited:
I used to teach guitar professionally.
Used to being key- I still am learning and will continue learning, what I want to learn, not what a "professional" thinks I should know- I know what I know and add to it every time I play- every time. The video I posted helps me improve what I already know and from that I can incorporate it into what I do, just as I have every time I learned a new chord for a different song- I learned my first song when I was 15, in the key of C- using the C chord, G7 and F (in simple shapes) and have grown my repertoire into the songs I now play, as well as the first one- I now practice 10 or so songs (of the nearly 40 I can play if I try) to improve my delivery of them and improve my voice as well-
I will not use a pick because I don't like the sound sitting on top of the pick and wouldn't if my chin was resting on a famous pickers shoulder- I like the video mainly because, he doesn't brag about his resume and shows what to do (the mechanics) which singles out single notes, which can be incorporated into other songs since other songs have the same notes, (or different ones) which I will get around to, eventually- this old dog is learning new tricks- and he does it his way- I play the hand I was dealt, don't care what the rules say, and I'm winning, cause I do it my way-
Did you used to be able to use your other fingers? Or did you recently lose your ability to use them?

Did you used to be able to use your other fingers? Or did you recently lose your ability to use them?
Immaterial to what I want to do- read this real close- I pluck with my thumb-

Immaterial to what I want to do- read this real close- I pluck with my thumb-
Why? Are you trying to specifically focus on your thumb because you feel it is a weak point?

I've never heard of that before. But I did force some students who had weak pinky fingers play scales using only their pinky fingers.

And there was another student who had weak hammer-ons and pull-offs so I made him play with his right hand tied behind his back.

If you were my student I would duck tape and/or superglue your thumb to your palm to force you to use your other fingers.

Last edited:
If you were my student I would duck tape and/or superglue your thumb to your palm to force you to use your other fingers.
You'd wind up wearing my guitar for a neck tie if you tried that-

Why? Are you trying to specifically focus on your thumb because you feel it is a weak point?

Long story short. I like the way it sounds- to be more verbose; when I got my first guitar (at age 14) I didn't even know picks existed, so I strummed with my my thumb. 59 years later, I still like the way it sounds. I have *graduated* to plucking and strumming and it suits me well- it is the style I prefer, for me, which I am building on-

You are being, precisely, the kind of teacher I despise. You insist on a student (me in this case) doing what you feel is best to make you feel better about yourself-

Post #3 Full time thumb plucker would be more accurate - LOL- I'm a cowboy chorder mostly and use my thumb plucking for emphasis- I know absolutely 0 about individual notes, where they are, or how they sound- but, with this guys help (the video) I can, I hope, teach myself, like I have everything else I do, how to incorporate individual notes into what I do- which ain't half bad, but I want more- I'm 73 so time is short- and I am in a bit of a hurry- for posterity sake-

Post #14

Forum List

Back