1643198518378.png
1643198544229.png
1643198573251.png
1643198713112.png
1643198664170.png
1643198771660.png
1643198822688.png
1643198903091.png

Brazil nuts, trees, unique things about brazil nuts...
The Brazil nut tree grows wild in stands in the Amazon River basin. It will often tower over its neighbours, reaching heights of 49 metres (160 feet) or more, with its crown spreading over 30 metres (100 feet) in diameter. The buttressed trunk is usually less than 2 metres (6.6 feet) across, but 3-metre (10-foot) specimens have been observed.*
1643200450196.png
1643200326622.png
1643200514716.png
1643200187549.png
1643200147300.png

The Brazil nut is a large tree, reaching 50 m (160 ft) tall and with a trunk 1 to 2 m (3 ft 3 in to 6 ft 7 in) in diameter, making it among the largest of trees in the Amazon rainforest. It may live for 500 years or more, and can often reach a thousand years of age. The stemis straight and commonly without branches for well over half the tree's height, with a large, emergent crown of long branches **
1643199913078.png
1643199942655.png
1643200081707.png

1643200924989.png
1643200719471.png
1643200776427.png
1643200837923.png
1643200960064.png

* Britanica
**Wikipedia
Below: Euglossine Bee and one on Brazil nut blossom
1643201734692.png
1643201685451.png

Lol, ya heating them is a big cost. There somo areas in eastern Ohio where old tapped out oil wells exist that you can tap for free natural gas. I always wanted to buy one of those properties and build ba large green house. Fresh orange s every morning would be awesome. Unless you live in Florida or California you really don't know what tree ripened oranges taste like.
Wow Ohio must be really cold right now. Wonder if you could put up an adjacent solar panel to prevent loss of sunlight and get free heat too. I think if you put underground pipes for watering, a foot deep would definitely keep it from freezing.... or would it? Burying water pipes in Wyoming vary in depth according to which side of the mountain you were on at mile high to start with. :dunno:

Speaking of oranges, I've been obsessing over wishing I could put up a greenhouse that would sustain 30-year-old growth of valencia oranges (my favorite type) that would feature protection from occasional bitter cold from after Christmas to shortly after Easter when all threat of freezing ends. I'm 120 miles north of Galveston where I'm sure they'd grow, but there is limited space on the island down there with so many out from Houston to see the sea, the beautiful sea... and it's way over my paygrade. *sigh* We had a surprisingly pleasant sunny day today following several days of chill and overcast skies. Weather pendulums in other places are more regular than ours. If ya don't like the weather here, they say you just need to wait 10 minutes. That's usually said in warm weather in and around the pineywoods and rolling hills area in Walker County.....

Last edited:
Speaking of oranges, I've been obsessing over wishing I could put up a greenhouse that would sustain 30-year-old growth of valencia oranges (my favorite type) that would feature protection from occasional bitter cold from after Christmas to shortly after Easter when all threat of freezing ends. I'm 120 miles north of Galveston where I'm sure they'd grow, but there is limited space on the island with so many out from Houston to see the sea, the beautiful sea... and it's way over my paygrade. *sigh* We had a surprisingly pleasant sunny day following several days of chill and overcast skies.
Yep, cost is the killer of dream s. My divorce pretty much eliminated my dream s of buying one of those properties in eastern Ohio with free natural gas but I am recovering at a better than expected pace. Who knows what the future holds. I have recently applied for my 100 ton captains license will likely get those oranges another route. Next couple years I will run boats in the south during the winter and get them that way. Galveston is actually an area I may end up in. I have friends running dive boats down there. Never been there but will check it out next couple of years. Do they have orange s in Galveston?

Yep, cost is the killer of dream s. My divorce pretty much eliminated my dream s of buying one of those properties in eastern Ohio with free natural gas but I am recovering at a better than expected pace. Who knows what the future holds. I have recently applied for my 100 ton captains license will likely get those oranges another route. Next couple years I will run boats in the south during the winter and get them that way. Galveston is actually an area I may end up in. I have friends running dive boats down there. Never been there but will check it out next couple of years. Do they have orange s in Galveston?
I think they may, but most of the Texas oranges are in a place the labeled crates say as "Oranges from the Rio Grande Valley." The Rio Grande is almost 1900 miles long, so I'm not certain where the "Rio Grande Valley" is. All the starting water is from snow in the mountains. https://jornada.nmsu.edu/files/bibl...ll affect the amount and timing of streamflow.
Good luck in your business endeavors of hauling oranges. May all of them be good on arrival and may none of them ever rot. I hope you find happiness when you get over your separation and legalisms, loss of companionship, when a marriage falls apart, evenflow. Sending up a little prayer for you to endure your losses and to create a happy life for yourself. :hands:

I think they may, but most of the Texas oranges are in a place the labeled crates say as "Oranges from the Rio Grande Valley." The Rio Grande is almost 1900 miles long, so I'm not certain where the "Rio Grande Valley" is. All the starting water is from snow in the mountains. https://jornada.nmsu.edu/files/bibliography/06-035.pdf#:~:text=The most important source of water in the,will affect the amount and timing of streamflow.
Good luck in your business endeavors of hauling oranges. May all of them be good on arrival and may none of them ever rot. I hope you find happiness when you get over your separation and legalisms, loss of companionship, when a marriage falls apart, evenflow. Sending up a little prayer for you to endure your losses and to create a happy life for yourself. :hands:
Well on my way to the happy life. Summer is figured out. Bought a lake front condo with dock on lake Erie can walk to work in the morning. Fishing trips all ready sold out through late July. Have many friends in the area. Best friend since 11 years old is looking for condo in same complex. He will join me as a full time captain next year when his son graduates college and takes over his current business. Just have to figure out my winters.

I really wish I could afford to put in geothermal tubes to heat a greenhouse. My neck of the woods has been down to -15° at night lately and I'd love to grow some little citrus trees.

Thanks for the great photos beautress
I just put a way to hopefully help you, OPJQ. It (the hooped hingehouse) traps heat beetween two layers; it's do it yourself with costs being only for materials, no markups for middlemen. If you already have a stockpile of wood from other projects, or nails or bolts of plastic, that's a good thing. If not, pull out the check book and hie thee hither to the nearest building supply center. It doesn't take much space, but it will hopefully pay for itself in one season of high produce prices in the upcoming winters. :dunno:

Edit: oh, my goodness, it's early in the morning and I just now saw your posts (again.) Just call this an oops! But it does address one way to trap heat between two layers. I guess you could get out the grid paper and figure out a way to put a 3 or 4 inch space between the outer or inner side with some clear plastic material. A few years back I bought an entire roll for a song, and just now found a way to use it in gardening by changing the size and shape to fit my garden spaces. I will have to store the plastics in the summer because you could cook an egg on the sidewalk in our Texas summers. I am not kidding nor exaggerating, but I couldn't because I try to get birds around here by placing bird feeders on my covered front porch. This year, after a few of disuse, I had to find hangers for new bird feeders, which cost more now, because the plastic ones disintegrate in the hot weather over time. I bought wooden feeders this time. I have a book somewhere on how to build bird houses, feeders, etc, but I think they got taken out to the floored barn for storage when I hired people to store the fabrics, and they took everything out there, including some of my best=loved books. Serves me right for not paying attention.

Last edited:
I just put a way to hopefully help you, OPJQ. It (the hooped hingehouse) traps heat beetween two layers; it's do it yourself with costs being only for materials, no markups for middlemen. If you already have a stockpile of wood from other projects, or nails or bolts of plastic, that's a good thing. If not, pull out the check book and hie thee hither to the nearest building supply center. It doesn't take much space, but it will hopefully pay for itself in one season of high produce prices in the upcoming winters. :dunno:
Thanks for sharing that!

This looks like what I plan on building. My town allows greenhouses to be 10x15 feet, which is a little larger than the one in your photo.
Tell your town to go fuck themselves

whose business is it as long as the greenhouse fits on your land?

did they make you pay for a permit and inspection too?

I really wish I could afford to put in geothermal tubes to heat a greenhouse. My neck of the woods has been down to -15° at night lately and I'd love to grow some little citrus trees.

Thanks for the great photos beautress

You can grow mini citrus trees in your HOUSE successfully. Outdoor greenhouse is harder and more expensive for Citrus trees.

Gardening Knowhow

Citrus Tree Houseplant Care: How To Grow Citrus Indoors​

LINK

Tell your town to go fuck themselves

whose business is it as long as the greenhouse fits on your land?

did they make you pay for a permit and inspection too?
I love my little town. It is clean, quiet and safe, so I'm not going to rock any boats about building codes and shit.

Pennsylvania State University's breathtaking conservatory interior...
1644101152480.png

Oh, my heart and soul... *sigh* ... amazing.​

Orange Tree Conservatories--the first claims it has trees 200 years old, but it doesn't say where it is. :eek:
1644101428962.png

Posting images from search engine...I loaded "orange trees in greenhouse" if you need more details:
1644101720442.png
1644101617367.png
1644101658923.png
1644101686016.png
1644101755267.png

1644101883669.png
1644101804302.png
1644101968872.png

Why can't you?
I don't know. I was talking to the builder who built the homes in my neighborhood and he gave me the impression that it would be prohibitively expensive. But there seems to be a local phenomenon of folks just not wanting to spend money. Everybody rolls their eyes about how warm I keep my home, but my gas bill is far lower here than it ever was in Washington. Maybe it's a Midwest thing. I could look into the actual cost farther and not rely on anybody else's perception of what "expensive" means.

Forum List

Back