Green energy Bottleneck

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
According to the analysis, turbines and solar panels might be skyrocketing a bit too much. Demand for some metals like neodymium and indium could grow by more than a dozen times by 2050, and there simply might not be enough supply to power the green revolution.v
dd782292-5885-404a-ad3e-b27209279959.jpg

We Might Not Have Enough Materials for All the Solar Panels and Wind Turbines We Need

I would say you have about a decade before prices start to explode at which point "free energy" meme really starts to bite

New materials will come on the scene, they always do.
Been hearing about graphene batts for yrs.....still no closer.
How long did it take to develop lithium batteries? Or neodymium magnets?

Decades.

Yup, and solar modules are little better than the ones I bought and installed 30 years ago. Sad really, when you think about it.
Not true actually
Your old panels are in the 15-20% efficiency range while.they are experimenting with panels that get into the middle 40s.

Decades.

Yup, and solar modules are little better than the ones I bought and installed 30 years ago. Sad really, when you think about it.
Not true actually
Your old panels are in the 15-20% efficiency range while.they are experimenting with panels that get into the middle 40s.

Wrong. The theoretical maximum efficiency for solar modules is 33% as calculated by Shockley and Queisser. That number has not risen in decades. The research into tandem solar cells hopes to raise that up to their theoretical maximum of around 42% (49% was the number for multiple cells) but they have come nowhere near that. The reality is my modules were doing 18% when i installed them, and they are doing 13% now. The last time I checked into it seriously the maximum efficiency obtained was by an Australian University at 25%.

Color me unimpressed.

Decades.

Not true actually

Wrong. The theoretical maximum efficiency for solar modules is 33% as calculated by Shockley and Queisser. That number has not risen in decades. The research into tandem solar cells hopes to raise that up to their theoretical maximum of around 42% (49% was the number for multiple cells) but they have come nowhere near that. The reality is my modules were doing 18% when i installed them, and they are doing 13% now. The last time I checked into it seriously the maximum efficiency obtained was by an Australian University at 25%.

Color me unimpressed.
Read the link kid.

According to the analysis, turbines and solar panels might be skyrocketing a bit too much. Demand for some metals like neodymium and indium could grow by more than a dozen times by 2050, and there simply might not be enough supply to power the green revolution.v
dd782292-5885-404a-ad3e-b27209279959.jpg

We Might Not Have Enough Materials for All the Solar Panels and Wind Turbines We Need

I would say you have about a decade before prices start to explode at which point "free energy" meme really starts to bite
One thing you might look into is that solar panels need a lot of silver..

https://seekingalpha.com/article/40...r-world-even-solar-power-efficiency-quadruple
It is estimated that it currently takes about 20 grams of silver to build an average solar panel. The average size of a solar panel is about 1.8 square meters. Given that there are 1,000,000 square meters in a square kilometer, it would take about 11.1 million grams, or 11.1 tons of silver to cover a square kilometer with solar panels. Given estimates that it would take covering a landmass the size of Spain with solar panels in order to meet all our energy needs, we should multiply that 11.1 ton figure by 506,000 square kilometers, which is the size of Spain.
I have over 1000 ounces of silver. First is that is tarnishes, that is it dissolves away and cannot be recuperated. Eventually Silver will become rarer than gold, and the flip in price will come. Might not in my lifetime but could in my children's lifetimes.

Funny thing is libs have been at forefront of trying to close mines and keep any new ones from opening.

Green Energy, the Science of the smart? Let us look at the advances.

1st generation Wind Turbines, around 70 feet tall.
Latest design, 1500 feet tall!

Now that is science, wind turbines fail by the tens of thousands. The solution, make them bigger! Such great thinking of the left. They are real geniuses.

wind blows.jpg

Green Energy, the Science of the smart? Let us look at the advances.

1st generation Wind Turbines, around 70 feet tall.
Latest design, 1500 feet tall!

Now that is science, wind turbines fail by the tens of thousands. The solution, make them bigger! Such great thinking of the left. They are real geniuses.

View attachment 264334
I find it ironic you live in California and know so little about turbines. Here in the San Francisco area we have thousands of wind turbines and very few fail! There is a newer type of wind turbine that does not have propeller blades but a simple helix.

Forum List

Back