Greatest Athlete Ever

Michael Jordan in basketball. He had the fan fare, the heart and determination, the work ethic, the skill, the look and he didn't benefit from the size of a Center. He's my favorite athlete of all time, and LeBron is not even top 10, to me. Statistically, sure, but LeBron throws up a lot of those goofy, un-coordinated bricks....and his dribble benefits greatly from how far he sticks his elbows out...his body mass is just wide, and strong - but skill-wise, he does a lot of suspect shit and heart-wise, he's bottom tier. I'd never trust him in a finals game 7.

That's tough there for me. Lebron shoots a % that usually is relegated to big men only shooting at the basket, but does it with a high number of outside shots. His shooting with the game on the line in the clutch is pretty insane, right there with Jordan. Under 10 seconds to tie/win, Jordan is 7/15 in the playoffs. Lebron is 12/23. Kobe is 5/22.

And for game 7 in a finals, if you didn't trust him and bet against him you'd lose every time thus far. The triple double and chase down block vs. the best record team in NBA history, and the game 7 vs. the Spurs with 37 points when Bosh/Allen combined for 0 points was pretty amazing are his two. That first one he capped the first playoff series ever where a player led both teams in points, boards, assists, blocks, and steals. All 5 categories, all 26 players. Vs. a team that hadn't lost back to back games all year, trying to win 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 vs. them.

32 points 11.5 boards, 7.5 assists, 2 steals and 1.5 blocks with 89% free throw shooting, and 40% from 3 in game 7's is pretty impressive and is a big part why he is 2-0 in finals game 7's. Doing that against two of the best dynasties of the past 25 years, and against players like Kawhi, and Green/Igoudala is also quite nice.

In his last 16 win or go home playoff games, Lebron has a 12-4 record, with 35.5 pts, 11.5 boards, 7.5 assists, 2 blocks and 1.5 steals a game on 52% shooting.

Michael Jordan in basketball. He had the fan fare, the heart and determination, the work ethic, the skill, the look and he didn't benefit from the size of a Center. He's my favorite athlete of all time, and LeBron is not even top 10, to me. Statistically, sure, but LeBron throws up a lot of those goofy, un-coordinated bricks....and his dribble benefits greatly from how far he sticks his elbows out...his body mass is just wide, and strong - but skill-wise, he does a lot of suspect shit and heart-wise, he's bottom tier. I'd never trust him in a finals game 7.

That's tough there for me. Lebron shoots a % that usually is relegated to big men only shooting at the basket, but does it with a high number of outside shots. His shooting with the game on the line in the clutch is pretty insane, right there with Jordan. Under 10 seconds to tie/win, Jordan is 7/15 in the playoffs. Lebron is 12/23. Kobe is 5/22.

And for game 7 in a finals, if you didn't trust him and bet against him you'd lose every time thus far. The triple double and chase down block vs. the best record team in NBA history, and the game 7 vs. the Spurs with 37 points when Bosh/Allen combined for 0 points was pretty amazing are his two. That first one he capped the first playoff series ever where a player led both teams in points, boards, assists, blocks, and steals. All 5 categories, all 26 players. Vs. a team that hadn't lost back to back games all year, trying to win 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 vs. them.

32 points 11.5 boards, 7.5 assists, 2 steals and 1.5 blocks with 89% free throw shooting, and 40% from 3 in game 7's is pretty impressive and is a big part why he is 2-0 in finals game 7's. Doing that against two of the best dynasties of the past 25 years, and against players like Kawhi, and Green/Igoudala is also quite nice.

In his last 16 win or go home playoff games, Lebron has a 12-4 record, with 35.5 pts, 11.5 boards, 7.5 assists, 2 blocks and 1.5 steals a game on 52% shooting.
Ever since the beginning of the 90s, Jordans never let his team go home deep in the playoffs.

Thats what is meant by heart and dominance, and in a much more physical era. Ive watched lebron be a quitter with my own two eyeballs, Im not sure which statistic that can be filed under.

Ive watched lebron be clunky and goofy looking as hell..im not sure which statistic that can be filed under. He's a streaky shooter, and since nobody can block most of his shots because of his massive frame - that generically boosts his statistics.

Lebron is not a lion. Hes boy hearted in a lion's body. He dominates when he feels like it or when his body can take it, and he gasses a lot.

Ill never forget his first playoffs with Miami...late in games vs. (i think the celtics), instead of taking over when it mattered most....he was bizarrely passing the ball away like a hot potato.

He does weird shit like that when the team needs him to take over.

It's nice that ya'll made a thread about me. Very flattering and all, but I am compelled by modesty to forsake the honor.

Ever since the beginning of the 90s, Jordans never let his team go home deep in the playoffs.

Thats what is meant by heart and dominance, and in a much more physical era. Ive watched lebron be a quitter with my own two eyeballs, Im not sure which statistic that can be filed under.

Ive watched lebron be clunky and goofy looking as hell..im not sure which statistic that can be filed under. He's a streaky shooter, and since nobody can block most of his shots because of his massive frame - that generically boosts his statistics.

Lebron is not a lion. Hes boy hearted in a lion's body. He dominates when he feels like it or when his body can take it, and he gasses a lot.

Ill never forget his first playoffs with Miami...late in games vs. (i think the celtics), instead of taking over when it mattered most....he was bizarrely passing the ball away like a hot potato.

Well he mostly takes over when they need him to take over. Like I said, his record and numbers when up against the wall speak for themselves. Yeah, almost 10 years ago he was a different player but I think that change which now has him hitting more clutch shots and playing more dominantly in those situations than arguably anyone is quite a testament to that change.

He used to. But at the same age when he didn't step up vs the Mavs, was the year Jordan crumbled vs the Pistons in the ecf.

Not sure about the "not taking over" bit vs the C's that year. Last game to get to the finals, tie game he scored Miami's last 10 points in 2 minutes.

Game before he scored their last 7 points and 11 of their last 13 to force OT and gave them the lead for good in OT. Win before that he led all scorers with a dozen in the 4th.

The bulls series that year he went lockdown on Rose at the end of games, taking the toughest assignment... and to close out the series led Miami with 8 of their final 12 points (assisted on 3 of the other 4 points). Game before led all scorers in OT with 6. Game before 8 of their last 12. That finals was really only his major drop, and after that he quit being the guy who'd try to playmake.

I don't put LeBron at the same level as Jordan. But damn those are some big 4th quarters and while you may remember them differently, what he did was pretty impressive there.

Jordan never went deep into the playoffs until he got help in the form of Pippen. Lebron put teams on his back that shouldnt have had a chance at going deep. Lebron is pure power and athleticism. Jordan is more skill and athleticism Skill is not athleticism. Lebron jumps higher, way stronger, and is much faster than MJ

Figure this would be fun to get opinions. Each has it's own merit. Be it the impact/popularity of the sport, the level above others they are, the team vs. solo sport debate, etc...

Who do you think is the Greatest Athlete Ever?

A few I would throw out there.

Jim Brown- Lettered 13 times in 5 sports in high-school. NFL, NCAA football, and Lacrosse HOFer. Arguably greatest NFL and Lacrosse player ever (2 sports!). Dominated the NFL. Set records until he was bored, and sometimes would double what the next best guy could do. The one complaint I've heard is he wasn't a great blocker, which I say If you are keeping him in to block, you are failing and using him wrong. It's like saying Babe Ruth wasn't a great bunter.

Michael Phelps- most dominant Olympian ever. Lets just say he broke Leonidas of Rhodes 2100 year old olympic medal record. Tough to call a record breaking accomplishment better than that one.

Pele- 1281 goals and 3 world cups. Best player in the most popular sport in the world.

Muhammad Ali- lost a lot of his prime with the Vietnam draft. But was the best in a STACKED heavyweight field.

Babe Zaharias- Arguably best female athlete ever, track and field, and golf champion.

Womens tennis I think is too close (Navratilova, Serena, Graf, Court)
Same with Mens tennis (Federer, Nadal and now Djokovic).

Baseball I don't know well enough

Golf is tight (Snead, Nicklaus, Tiger, Hogan, Palmer)

Basketball is tight and so dependent on so much more. Russell won 11 championships in 13 years. Wilt had the most dominant years. Jabbar had an insanely long elite career. Jordan was magical, and Lebron is doing things now with all around play and longetivity that are scary.

Some others I wouldn't put in there but fun to talk about.

Sugar Ray Robinson 213-1-2 record as a fighter by age 30 (amateur and pro). Wow. 258 wins before he hung them up.

Jim Thorpe- Olympic gold, and pro football, baseball, and basketball player

Lance Armstrong - if only clean

Kelly Slater and Tony Hawk - not super popular sports, but they rocked them

Florence Griffith Joyner. STILL holds the 100m and 200m womens records over 20 years later. In an era it seems these fall like domino's that is impressive.

Herschel Walker. Ok a bit of homerism here, was a huge fan and always liked him. at 230 lbs and football weight was able to set the 60m collegiate record (broken in the next heat by Carl Lewis....). A legit track demon, nearly made both summer and winter olympics (winter made bobsled, summer was Taekwondo, but the US failed to qualify). And just blew guys away in any of the "superstars" challenge for athletes back in the day. One of the best college backs ever, 5500 rushing yards in his 3 USFL seasons, and just a freak.

Still does an insane body weight workout, and in his 50's was winning fights in MMA.

30+ years of aging shouldn't look like this.
View attachment 265339

View attachment 265337

Wayne Gretzky. It's a team sport and not a super popular one. But you don't wear 99 in hockey period anymore because of him. If he'd never scored a goal in his career, he'd be the all time points leader.

Jerry Rice. I already called Brown for football, but his ability and his longetivity are unrivaled.

Nadia Comaneci- the perfect 10 in gymnastics.

Lionel Conacher - Hockey Hall of Fame, the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame. Won a Grey Cup (CFL champ), an International Professional Lacrosse League championship, a Stanley Cup (NHL Champ), an international league championship (Baseball pro league in 1930's), and was the Canadian amateur light-heavyweight boxing championship.

There's a story he won a baseball championship, then ran across town to join his pro-lacrosse team which was losing 0-3, and scored 4 goals to give them a win.
Greatest athlete is always going to be an opinion. Its like saying what genre of music is the greatest. I like muli talented guys that could have or have played more than one sport professionally. Guys like Wilt Chamberlain, Lebron James, Bo Jackson, Jackie Robinson, Deon Sanders, etc.

LT! boy, if you ever saw him make a stick in the backfield, damn!
He was serious business. Yeah, I saw that 1st hand. LT was for real.#56

I've made a stick a time or two like that, but he owns the copyright on it!
That mothefucker is badass! Who else? Oh yeah, The Bucs dude..he just launches his body at people. John Lynch. Back in the day there were 3 on the Bucs like that..

Sapp, Brooks..and..somebody..Dungy let him go..I was surprised, because he did kick ass. Broderick Thomas, maybe?

Last edited:
Figure this would be fun to get opinions. Each has it's own merit. Be it the impact/popularity of the sport, the level above others they are, the team vs. solo sport debate, etc...

Who do you think is the Greatest Athlete Ever?

A few I would throw out there.

Jim Brown- Lettered 13 times in 5 sports in high-school. NFL, NCAA football, and Lacrosse HOFer. Arguably greatest NFL and Lacrosse player ever (2 sports!). Dominated the NFL. Set records until he was bored, and sometimes would double what the next best guy could do. The one complaint I've heard is he wasn't a great blocker, which I say If you are keeping him in to block, you are failing and using him wrong. It's like saying Babe Ruth wasn't a great bunter.

Michael Phelps- most dominant Olympian ever. Lets just say he broke Leonidas of Rhodes 2100 year old olympic medal record. Tough to call a record breaking accomplishment better than that one.

Pele- 1281 goals and 3 world cups. Best player in the most popular sport in the world.

Muhammad Ali- lost a lot of his prime with the Vietnam draft. But was the best in a STACKED heavyweight field.

Babe Zaharias- Arguably best female athlete ever, track and field, and golf champion.

Womens tennis I think is too close (Navratilova, Serena, Graf, Court)
Same with Mens tennis (Federer, Nadal and now Djokovic).

Baseball I don't know well enough

Golf is tight (Snead, Nicklaus, Tiger, Hogan, Palmer)

Basketball is tight and so dependent on so much more. Russell won 11 championships in 13 years. Wilt had the most dominant years. Jabbar had an insanely long elite career. Jordan was magical, and Lebron is doing things now with all around play and longetivity that are scary.

Some others I wouldn't put in there but fun to talk about.

Sugar Ray Robinson 213-1-2 record as a fighter by age 30 (amateur and pro). Wow. 258 wins before he hung them up.

Jim Thorpe- Olympic gold, and pro football, baseball, and basketball player

Lance Armstrong - if only clean

Kelly Slater and Tony Hawk - not super popular sports, but they rocked them

Florence Griffith Joyner. STILL holds the 100m and 200m womens records over 20 years later. In an era it seems these fall like domino's that is impressive.

Herschel Walker. Ok a bit of homerism here, was a huge fan and always liked him. at 230 lbs and football weight was able to set the 60m collegiate record (broken in the next heat by Carl Lewis....). A legit track demon, nearly made both summer and winter olympics (winter made bobsled, summer was Taekwondo, but the US failed to qualify). And just blew guys away in any of the "superstars" challenge for athletes back in the day. One of the best college backs ever, 5500 rushing yards in his 3 USFL seasons, and just a freak.

Still does an insane body weight workout, and in his 50's was winning fights in MMA.

30+ years of aging shouldn't look like this.
View attachment 265339

View attachment 265337

Wayne Gretzky. It's a team sport and not a super popular one. But you don't wear 99 in hockey period anymore because of him. If he'd never scored a goal in his career, he'd be the all time points leader.

Jerry Rice. I already called Brown for football, but his ability and his longetivity are unrivaled.

Nadia Comaneci- the perfect 10 in gymnastics.

Lionel Conacher - Hockey Hall of Fame, the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame. Won a Grey Cup (CFL champ), an International Professional Lacrosse League championship, a Stanley Cup (NHL Champ), an international league championship (Baseball pro league in 1930's), and was the Canadian amateur light-heavyweight boxing championship.

There's a story he won a baseball championship, then ran across town to join his pro-lacrosse team which was losing 0-3, and scored 4 goals to give them a win.
Greatest athlete is always going to be an opinion. Its like saying what genre of music is the greatest. I like muli talented guys that could have or have played more than one sport professionally. Guys like Wilt Chamberlain, Lebron James, Bo Jackson, Jackie Robinson, Deon Sanders, etc.
Chamberlain was an exceptional track athlete
High jump and long jump were obvious, but he was also exceedingly fast for a big man and threw shot put

Broothey Jenner
bruce-jenner-through-the-years-from-the-olympics-to-now-1976-olympics.jpg

Jordan never went deep into the playoffs until he got help in the form of Pippen. Lebron put teams on his back that shouldnt have had a chance at going deep. Lebron is pure power and athleticism. Jordan is more skill and athleticism Skill is not athleticism. Lebron jumps higher, way stronger, and is much faster than MJ
Jordan wasn't in his prime until Pippen, either, so thats a bit of a misnomer ~ and according to NYT and Sports Illustrated, Jordan ran a 4.3 40 and LeBron a 4.6 40...and .3 is a significant difference in a 40.

LeBron could literally be better though, at every single stat period, hell - give him by DOUBLE....but Ive seen him GIVE UP, numerous times, and heart was always the difference maker and why LeBron is not greater than Michael. Mike's the g.o.a.t., and did so with a smaller frame and in the physical era, with the harder nosed greats versus today's bomb-shooters.

Lawrence Motherfuckin' Taylor! Damn right!

How come I ain't seen nobody like that since, hmm? Damn! Check out the young Dungy.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

Jordan wasn't in his prime until Pippen, either, so thats a bit of a misnomer ~ and according to NYT and Sports Illustrated, Jordan ran a 4.3 40 and LeBron a 4.6 40...and .3 is a significant difference in a 40.

LeBron could literally be better though, at every single stat period, hell - give him by DOUBLE....but Ive seen him GIVE UP, numerous times, and heart was always the difference maker and why LeBron is not greater than Michael. Mike's the g.o.a.t., and did so with a smaller frame and in the physical era, with the harder nosed greats versus today's bomb-shooters.

Jordan and Pippen were a thing of beauty.

But Serena could be considered the most dominant player in the history of tennis, regardless of gender. Indeed, the only time she loses is when she has the occasional mental lapse or when she is injured. Otherwise, it's lights out for her opponent, and it has been thus for nearly 20 years. What other athlete can say the same?
she has man genes--unfair

Jordan and Pippen were a thing of beauty.

Hands down my favorite era of sports. Everything now is all watered down.

Forum List

Back