GREAT NEWS : Slovakia, Poland to donate MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine • FRANCE 24 English

Litwin

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2017
GDL&Sweden
About half of these MIGS are upgraded to NATO standards. Meaning they have improved radar, can carry AIM air to air missiles, HARMs and ER-JDAM bombs. They will have an impact. bad news for the horde.....

OTHER EU/NATO STATES WILL FOLLOW !

I thought so too. Someone is lying.

FraUuKtXsAAo-pS

About half of these MIGS are upgraded to NATO standards. Meaning they have improved radar, can carry AIM air to air missiles, HARMs and ER-JDAM bombs.
I don't think that's the case but I could be wrong.

AFAIK the upgraded Polish MiG's received a new mission computer with a 1553 data bus (so in theory it could use NATO weapons), but every picture I've seen of them have R-73's under the wing, not AIM-9's.

They have a digital cockpit with western-standard avionics, and NATO IFF and Comms, but I don't believe they ever integrated any NATO weapons. They weren't really intended to be anything other than point-defense.

I don't see these as game-changers for Ukraine. They are stuck at low altitude, and the AAM's lose a lot of kinematic performance when launched from low altitudes. Ukraine needs to chase away the MiG-31's and bombers that are operating from outside Ukrainian airspace, and go after the Su-30's and Su-27's that are operating over the front lines.

For that they need a western fighter with a long-range, active radar guided AAM- preferably the MDBA Meteor, which uses a ramjet motor, and doesn't have so much of a low-altitude penalty as AMRAAM.

The Gripen is best suited for Ukraine. It can be operated from unimproved strips (including roads), dispersed locations with small crews (only one of whom needs specialized training), and it can handle all the western weapons.

F-16's need a lot of support people and pristine runways, which means a large fixed base that would be an easy target for Russia's long range missiles. A Gripen can be hidden in a barn...

I don't see these as game-changers for Ukraine. They are stuck at low altitude, and the AAM's lose a lot of kinematic performance when launched from low altitudes. Ukraine needs to chase away the MiG-31's and bombers that are operating from outside Ukrainian airspace, and go after the Su-30's and Su-27's that are operating over the front lines.

For that they need a western fighter with a long-range, active radar guided AAM- preferably the MDBA Meteor, which uses a ramjet motor, and doesn't have so much of a low-altitude penalty as AMRAAM.

However, at this time this is a far better solution.

It can take a year or more to become efficient in using a fighter. And as Ukraine already has the MiG-29 and has pilots experienced in flying it, that is far better during a conflict than trying to transition to a new fighter.

Western fighters can be integrated after the current conflict is over. But it is never a good idea to change military equipment in the middle of a war.

However, at this time this is a far better solution.

It can take a year or more to become efficient in using a fighter. And as Ukraine already has the MiG-29 and has pilots experienced in flying it, that is far better during a conflict than trying to transition to a new fighter.

Western fighters can be integrated after the current conflict is over. But it is never a good idea to change military equipment in the middle of a war.
Agree, I've always been lukewarm on the subject of fighter jets to Ukraine. Even the modernized MiG-29's are going to require transition training, the cockpit and avionics are completely westernized. The IFF and Comms will need to be removed and they will need mods to the weapons stations.

I like Gripen because of all the 4th Gen Western jets, the Gripen is the most survivable in that battlespace and has the smallest logistical footprint. It would be the easiest to put in place, but that doesn't mean it would be easy.

As you know, having the systems doesn't mean you know how to use them. We could modernize the entire fleet, and Ukraine still would not be able to conduct a NATO-style air campaign, none of the other pieces are in place.

Fortunately for Ukraine, the VKS can't do it either...

The Slovokian air force is going to spray WD 40 on aging 70's Russian junk and get them running to give them to Ukrainian teen aged pilots? Go for it but it don't count on Ukie pilots racking up kills.

The Slovokian air force is going to spray WD 40 on aging 70's Russian junk and get them running to give them to Ukrainian teen aged pilots? Go for it but it don't count on Ukie pilots racking up kills.

Age means little if the aircraft are kept in good condition.

Hell, the F-4 is a 1950's era aircraft. Yet Greece, Iran, South Korea, and Turkey still operate them. Japan was still using them until 2 years ago.

Forum List

Back