Grammar Nazis!

That pales in comparison to the glaring mistakes I see fairly regularly by PROFESSIONAL WRITERS - novels, online articles at places like CNN.com, etc etc etc.

English is becoming optional, replced by childish gibberish.

"like OMG LOL you're my BFF CU later" blah etc

:hurl:

Don't even get me started on people saying "Where's it at?"

I see it by TV News people, professionals, etc.

Oy Vey!

The ones that get me are:

Nucular
Orientated

Misunderestimation.

Dinkerate.

Massivolumation.

Don't even get me started on people saying "Where's it at?"

I see it by TV News people, professionals, etc.

Oy Vey!

Nucular
Orientated

Misunderestimation.

Dinkerate.

Massivolumation.

Irregardless

Of course Voir Dire, the process of jury selection is French and should be pronounced "Vwah Deer." BUT, if the judge said Vohr Dahr, that's how the lawyers day it. LOL. A lot of them do.

Last edited:
Occasionally I have been attacked for a grammar mistake when participating in a political debate (imagine that !). I like to respond with something like this:
Us rednecks are gittin a little pissed off at bein cornered up intuh a special pen by all you guys that think that we aint smart enuf to know what’s good and what aint an we kaint make any difrence anyway about what you do so we decided that, since we know how to put a check box on one dem voten papers, we gonna load up are pick-ups next time an get-er –done. And there’s a lot of us! Ya might not think we are smart enuff to make a good decision. Well the way we got it is a good decision for us might not be a good decision fer you so too bad about that.

Misunderestimation.

Dinkerate.

Massivolumation.

Irregardless...

...of a new dinkeration, she misunderestimated the nucular impactoidable influence of a re-orientated epifocal perspectividiumationite....thingy.

over_board.gif

Weird that folks get all upset about the way English evolves. People have complained about it since 1067 and it never does any good.

And all the major English dictionaries (well, anyway Webster and Oxford) maintain that their books are descriptive rather than proscriptive.

And this kind of thing is what makes English fun. Language is emotion and music. It works best as a fun ride.

For me, there are three rules
1) Is it clear?
2) Is it true?
3) Does it make you feel?

Pedantry to me is worse than misplaced apostrophe.

Nucular
Orientated

Misunderestimation.

Dinkerate.

Massivolumation.

I've never heard of any of those; they sound like words mispronounced vs glaring grammar SNAFUs-?

Weird that folks get all upset about the way English evolves.
...except that we're not talking about "evolving," but rather "devolving," if anything, or at the very least making ridiculous, obvious mistakes due to laziness and/or general stupidity.

And this kind of thing is what makes English fun.
I'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

That said, context and/or "arena" make a big difference. eg I don't care much about it on a message forum like this as it's so informal, much like informal chat. Professional works by supposedly professional journalists is quite another matter.

Language is emotion and music. It works best as a fun ride.
It can be, but it is also - and foremost - a tool. It works best when used properly.

Last edited:
The one word that really raises my hackles is... "conversate". As in, "We was just, you know, conversating..."

:eek:

Now it's one thing if it's urban slang, but I actually have heard it used by so-called television journalists... more than once!

Argghhhhhhh!

While it is annoying to listen to, I think it is cool that you can make any word into any part of speech you want. You can't do that in Russian.

I am kind of bad about ending sentences with prepositions. Another impossibility in Russian.

I also like that the passive voice requires a little extra effort in english. Indeed, the Grammar Nazis I dealt with here in Portland taught that it is poor grammar. Russian requires passive constructions in many places an English speaker would be angered by.

I notice on my watching English TV that the english are loosing articles where American retains them.
And English just keeps going along. In the darwinian world of language dominance, American english is enjoying the triumph of the survival of the fittest.

Forum List

Back