Government Drops Prawer

SherriMunnerlyn

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2012
GOV’T DROPS PRAWER

"On Thursday, December 12th,*Israel announced that the current version of the Prawer Plan would be dropped.*Extremely controversial, the Prawer Plan threatened expulsion and dispossession of lands to an estimated 40,000 Negev Bedouin. Below are responses from Atia Al Assam, Chairman of the Regional Council of Unrecognized Villages in the Negev, and from Rabbis for Human Rights."

Rabbis for Human Rights on the intention to discontinue the hearings on the Prawer bill, this is their statement:

"As we have said and known, Israel and the Jewish people are better than the Prawer bill and the intention to displace 40 thousand citizens from their homes. We congratulate the Bedouin community on their steadfast and successful campaign. The steps taken by former MK Benny Begin are also praiseworthy, as it is written: “The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart” (Psalms 15:2). We also caution that preventing this problematic plan from being implemented is only the first stage; the next stage must be recognition of the unrecognized Bedouin villages and the promotion of basic infrastructure and budgets, according to the alternative plan of the Regional Council of Unrecognized Villages and expert planners from Bimkom, as we are commanded, “You are to have the same law for the foreigner and the native-born” (Leviticus 24:22)."

Gov't drops Prawer | Rabbis for Human RightsRabbis for Human Rights

I read of this story on multiple sites, to include Maan and Mondoweiss, but I include the story as reported by Rabbis For Human Rights.

I so admire this organization and their commitment to human rights.

As they are optomistic about what could happen next, so am I.

I believe the attitude these human rights issues are approached with can make the world of difference in how the issues are resolved.

I hope the death of Prawer will lead the people in the land to recognition of the unrecognized villages and to moving closer to equal rights for Bedouin Israelis.

Last edited:
GOV’T DROPS PRAWER

"On Thursday, December 12th,*Israel announced that the current version of the Prawer Plan would be dropped.*Extremely controversial, the Prawer Plan threatened expulsion and dispossession of lands to an estimated 40,000 Negev Bedouin. Below are responses from Atia Al Assam, Chairman of the Regional Council of Unrecognized Villages in the Negev, and from Rabbis for Human Rights."

Rabbis for Human Rights on the intention to discontinue the hearings on the Prawer bill, this is their statement:

"As we have said and known, Israel and the Jewish people are better than the Prawer bill and the intention to displace 40 thousand citizens from their homes. We congratulate the Bedouin community on their steadfast and successful campaign. The steps taken by former MK Benny Begin are also praiseworthy, as it is written: “The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart” (Psalms 15:2). We also caution that preventing this problematic plan from being implemented is only the first stage; the next stage must be recognition of the unrecognized Bedouin villages and the promotion of basic infrastructure and budgets, according to the alternative plan of the Regional Council of Unrecognized Villages and expert planners from Bimkom, as we are commanded, “You are to have the same law for the foreigner and the native-born” (Leviticus 24:22)."

I read of this story on multiple sites, to include Maan and Mondoweiss, but I include the story as reported by Rabbis For Human Rights.

I believe the attitude these human rights issues are approached with can make the world of difference in how the issues are resolved.

I hope the death of Prawer will lead the people in the land to recognition of the unrecognized villages and to moving closer to equal rights for Bedouin Israelis.

Looks like this author has a different opinion about these Rabbis.

Exploiting Israel?s Negev Bedouin | Opinion | Jewish Journal

Bedouin are the victims of this, not the beneficiaries
scatted across so much area, there is no way for get them services or better living standards.

Here is the Maan article, the most interesting thing to read are the comments speculation of what will happen next.

Israel drops controversial Bedouin relocation plan

"Following a heated debate this week at the parliamentary interior committee, coalition chairman Yariv Levin of Netanyahu's Likud party said he would not make the Prawer Plan into law.

The move comes less than two weeks after worldwide protests against the plan, during which Israeli police and soldiers clashed with demonstrators, injuring and arresting dozens across Israel and the West Bank.

According to the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, the plan would have forcibly evicted nearly 40,000 Bedouin and destroy their communal and social fabric, condemning them to a future of poverty and unemployment.

Other estimates had put the number of Bedouin residents at risk at 70,000."

Israel drops controversial Bedouin relocation plan | Maan News Agency

Last edited:
There were world wide protests because the plan would have ethnically cleansed 40000 to 70000 Bedouin from their lands, and the plan had no input from them whatsoever.

GOV’T DROPS PRAWER

Looks like this author has a different opinion about these Rabbis.

Exploiting Israel?s Negev Bedouin | Opinion | Jewish

Journal

Some Jews, in Israel and the United States, have a conscience. Thank God for that and them!

Bedouin are the victims of this, not the beneficiaries
scatted across so much area, there is no way for get them services or better living standards.

Hasbara bullshit. OZreal was clearing the land for new jewish settlers.

Forum List

Back