GOProud founder leaves the GOP, calls it "brain-dead"

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
For a long time, there was a group of gay Republicans who called themselves the "Log Cabin Republicans". They endorsed John Kerry in 2004, but the LCR endorsed the GOP presidential candidates in 2008 and 2012.

A new group of more hardline gay Republicans called "GOProud" sprung up in April of 2009, with a man named Jimmy LaSalvia heading up the group. They endorsed Mitt Romney. I read that they have often been called "Homocons". The GOProuders really think that the LCRers are really leftist infiltrators or something like that.

6a00d83451b26169e2019b04b58229970d-pi

Well, LaSalvia is done with the Republican Party:

http://radio.foxnews.com/2014/01/21...r-jimmy-lasalvia-leaves-the-republican-party/

(11 minutes long, worth listening to)

GOProud co-founder Jimmy LaSalvia leaves Republican Party - Washington Times

GOProud co-founder Jimmy LaSalvia has officially announced that he is abandoning the Republican Party due to what he sees as a “tolerance of bigotry.”

Today, I joined the ranks of unaffiliated voters,” he said in a post on his website Monday. “I am every bit as conservative as I’ve always been, but I just can’t bring myself to carry the Republican label any longer. You see, I just don’t agree with the big-government ‘conservatives’ who run the party now.”

?I am leaving the tolerance of bigotry?: GOProud co-founder Jimmy LaSalvia quits Republican Party | Steve Rothaus' Gay South Florida

The other reason I am leaving is the tolerance of bigotry in the GOP. The current leadership lacks the courage to stand up to it – I’m not sure they ever will.

GOProud Founder Leaves Republican Party - Business Insider

In an interview with Time, LaSalvia didn't believe the party could salvage its anti-gay image: "I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s time to pull the plug on the patient," he told Elizabeth Dias. "It’s been brain-dead for a long, long time."

LaSalvia and other members of GOProud have fought against other conservatives in the past — most notably at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) run by the American Conservative Union, which banned the group from co-sponsorship in 2012. While the group was welcome at the conference in 2010 and 2011, more than a dozen other conservative organizations boycotted the conference during those years.

“Our opponents on the board of ACU and in outside organizations made no secret for two and a half years about why they wanted us out of CPAC, and it’s because we’re gay,” LaSalvia told The Daily Caller of the ban last year.

There are some additional videos at the links.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sure is not big news to me that a gay person might come to the conclusion that he or she is not welcome in the GOP. I mean, after all, CPAC kicked GOProud out of it's conference. That's usually a pretty good sign that you are not welcome somewhere...

I'm not really sure if the GOP is even interested in getting the gay vote, but it sure is a bad sign when the leader of the most hard-core CONSERVATIVE-gay group calls it quits, and for these reasons. I'm not impugning the GOP per se for this, it's that Party's decision whether to reach out to people or not. No skin off my back...

But for me as an outsider, it's interesting to watch.

Your opinions? Will another gay-GOP group spring up, or is it curtains for the rainbow in the GOP?

Last edited:
Your opinions? Will another gay-GOP group spring up, or is it curtains for the rainbow in the GOP?
There is already, founded in 1977 Log Cabin Repubicans

One guy, big deal.

• Banned
Last edited:

One guy, big deal.

Already mentioned at the top of the OP. You can read, right?

Besides, apparently, the group has much more than just one person. I has 30+ chapters in 26 states plus DC:

Log Cabin Republicans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No I can't read, thanks for the heads up.

I was trying to get across, as the op mentioned and to address your question they have been represented for a long time. Why would it be curtains?

And right, the group is large and he's one guy. So again why would it be the end?

• Banned

One guy, big deal.

Already mentioned at the top of the OP. You can read, right?

Besides, apparently, the group has much more than just one person. I has 30+ chapters in 26 states plus DC:

Log Cabin Republicans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No I can't read, thanks for the heads up.

I was trying to get across, as the op mentioned and to address your question they have been represented for a long time. Why would it be curtains?

And right, the group is large and he's one guy. So again why would it be the end?

Ahhh, now we have understanding between us.

LaSalvia was the driving force behind this group, from what I read. I dunno if it will continue if he is not there.

Wait and see. Thanks for the clarification.

Wow...he's a hottie...but still a staunch conservative. Where will he go? Where do the moderates go? Do they become Blue Dogs?

Can't speak to that. Would much prefer the women in your avi. But it's really hard to say what happens when a group loses it's driving force. I don't believe that any moderates were in this group to begin with. Just hard-line gay Conservatives, from they way they describe themselves.

ok so what is the big deal here?

It is news. And intelligent people take time to discuss news.

well whoa, it affects all our lives so we need to pay attention

Intelligent people don't post partisan hack pieces of no importance

and some outsider you are and then post this:

It sure is not big news to me that a gay person might come to the conclusion that he or she is not welcome in the GOP. I mean, after all, CPAC kicked GOProud out of it's conference. That's usually a pretty good sign that you are not welcome somewhere...

I'm not really sure if the GOP is even interested in getting the gay vote, but it sure is a bad sign when the leader of the most hard-core CONSERVATIVE-gay group calls it quits, and for these reasons. I'm not impugning the GOP per se for this, it's that Party's decision whether to reach out to people or not. No skin off my back...

but carry on

Last edited:
ok so what is the big deal here?

It is news. And intelligent people take time to discuss news.

well whoa, it affects all our lives so we need to pay attention

Intelligent people don't post partisan hack pieces of no importance

and some outsider you are and then post this:

but carry on

It's not a partisan hack piece, is is a piece of factual news. You do understand the difference, right? Or do you deny the reports that LaSalvia is leaving the leadership of GOProud, a gay Conservative group, and also completely leaving the GOP? Are you getting information that the rest of us are not?

Proceed, Stephanie, proceed.... please, by all means.

Want some more cheez with that WHINE?

For a long time, there was a group of gay Republicans who called themselves the "Log Cabin Republicans". They endorsed John Kerry in 2004, but the LCR endorsed the GOP presidential candidates in 2008 and 2012.

A new group of more hardline gay Republicans called "GOProud" sprung up in April of 2009, with a man named Jimmy LaSalvia heading up the group. They endorsed Mitt Romney. I read that they have often been called "Homocons". The GOProuders really think that the LCRers are really leftist infiltrators or something like that.

6a00d83451b26169e2019b04b58229970d-pi

Well, LaSalvia is done with the Republican Party:

http://radio.foxnews.com/2014/01/21...r-jimmy-lasalvia-leaves-the-republican-party/

(11 minutes long, worth listening to)

GOProud co-founder Jimmy LaSalvia leaves Republican Party - Washington Times

GOProud co-founder Jimmy LaSalvia has officially announced that he is abandoning the Republican Party due to what he sees as a “tolerance of bigotry.”

Today, I joined the ranks of unaffiliated voters,” he said in a post on his website Monday. “I am every bit as conservative as I’ve always been, but I just can’t bring myself to carry the Republican label any longer. You see, I just don’t agree with the big-government ‘conservatives’ who run the party now

?I am leaving the tolerance of bigotry?: GOProud co-founder Jimmy LaSalvia quits Republican Party | Steve Rothaus' Gay South Florida

The other reason I am leaving is the tolerance of bigotry in the GOP. The current leadership lacks the courage to stand up to it – I’m not sure they ever will.

GOProud Founder Leaves Republican Party - Business Insider

In an interview with Time, LaSalvia didn't believe the party could salvage its anti-gay image: "I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s time to pull the plug on the patient," he told Elizabeth Dias. "It’s been brain-dead for a long, long time."

LaSalvia and other members of GOProud have fought against other conservatives in the past — most notably at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) run by the American Conservative Union, which banned the group from co-sponsorship in 2012. While the group was welcome at the conference in 2010 and 2011, more than a dozen other conservative organizations boycotted the conference during those years.

“Our opponents on the board of ACU and in outside organizations made no secret for two and a half years about why they wanted us out of CPAC, and it’s because we’re gay,” LaSalvia told The Daily Caller of the ban last year.

There are some additional videos at the links.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But for me as an outsider, it's interesting to watch.

He's a little slow if he's just figuring it out now.

Forum List

Back