GOP leaders are talking about how best to stop Trump from running away with the nomination again in 2024. But they don’t have a clear plan to stop him

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Trump can only offer four more years

How are we going to build a movement that goes beyond the next four years to the next eight years to the next twenty years, that parallels what we have seen over on the progressive side?

If Trump wins the primary, the Democrats romp. The midterms were a referendum on Trump. Running against Trump works very well.

If Trump loses the primary, some of his voters stay home, or vote for Trump the third party candidate, and the Democrats romp. Even if it's only 5%, the Democrats romp.

Rock, Republicans, hard place.

The way our system works, I don't think a party really needs to look down the road. This damned "system" is set up for short term thinking, with the only real priority being the next election.

I'd guess the party would love to see him go because it increases their chances in 2024, at least theoretically. They'll fall right in line if he's the nominee, of course, so I suspect they'll do what they can to highlight new blood, but they'll only go so far.

Trump can only offer four more years

How are we going to build a movement that goes beyond the next four years to the next eight years to the next twenty years, that parallels what we have seen over on the progressive side?

If they had a brain among they'd realize that backing Trump and putting up a decent non-treasonous, back-stabbing VP to run with him solves all of their problems.
They would guarantee 12 years if instead of trying to destroy Trump they supplied a viable candidate to run with him.

The idea of the spineless lickspittles who sold their souls to Dear Leader standing up to him now risks breaking my ribs from uncontrollable laughter.

If they had a brain among they'd realize that backing Trump and putting up a decent non-treasonous, back-stabbing VP to run with him solves all of their problems.
There is literally no VP they can pair with Trump that would win him the next election. You're engaging in cult thinking.

Republicans need to do what Democrats did with Joe Biden

Have fringe candidates drop out before the primaries get serious
Multiple candidates beyond Iowa and NH will seal Trumps victory

They would guarantee 12 years if instead of trying to destroy Trump they supplied a viable candidate to run with him.
No one was more of a loyal lickspittle to Crooked Donald than Mike Pence.

And then Trump tried to get him killed.

There is literally no VP they can pair with Trump that would win him the next election. You're engaging in cult thinking.
Mudwhistle mistakenly assumes that after four more years of Trump that there would still be voting. He would just pass the presidency to Don, Jr.

If Trump is not the Trump Party's nominee, then the 30 percent who support him won't vote, and will hand the victory to the Democrats.

If Trump is the Trump Party's nominee, then the Democrats will still win and stomp Trump again.

DeSantis is the only hope on account of his agenda is a carbon copy of Trump's popular agenda, but DeSants doesn't dare trying to go head to head with Trump!

I have a hunch that the problem will be solved in the only way possible. Somehow the government will take Trump down and out, and then DeSantis will be safe to run.

Trump could win on his own. Despite what all of you folks on the left think, Trump isn't the ogre you make him out to be.
The trick is finding someone who isn't like Kamala....as Pence was.
To much of America, he is

MAGA loves him and will vote for Trump under any condition
Mainstream Republicans are tired of him but some will vote Trump as a Republican, others will either leave it blank or stay home.
Trump has turned off Independents and has done nothing to win them back.

This is the person that truly embodies the ethos of the Republican party:

1675962757784.jpeg

Santos 2024!!!!

If Trump is not the Trump Party's nominee, then the 30 percent who support him won't vote, and will hand the victory to the Democrats.

Even worse, Trump will sabotage the party either by running as a Third Party or reviving his stolen election fantasies and telling MAGA this guy is not the true winner

I’ve got a suggestion for them:

Find a young, charismatic, well spoken ideological/lifestyle Conservative with a private business or military background (preferably both) and nominate him to run against Trump.

/problem

Forum List

Back