GOP has bill to keep government open

The democrats are ready to shut down the government again. In more shocking news, the sun shown on the Sahara desert today.

3698423-2073-REPUBLICANS%20SAY%20THE-0.jpg
That's the way democrats roll.

How do we fix things?
1. Stop infusing hundreds of billions into the stock market. We're recovered!
2. Raise taxes 5-8% on the top 10% of earners.
3. Close the loop holes.
4. Stay out of wars and nation building
5. Go back to 2007 levels for welfare and unemployment.
6. Keep fixing the healthcare system

This would do a thousand times more for reducing the debt then cutting infrastructure, science, r&d and education...Which of course hasn't added any debt.

Of course, I don't expect you to understand this.
I probably won't because it makes little sense.

1- That's the FED, you actually think I like them? They are a disaster.
2- Why is raising taxes always the answer to the left? I get it you're jealous and don't think people deserve to keep what they made. You never think to reduce spending. It's what normal people do. Don't rob your neighbor when you can't pay the bills cut your own expenses.
3- Yeah, close them, then put in a lower flat tax.
4- Wars are fine. Go in when you have to and destroy them. Rebuilding? Nope. If we have to go to war because of your actions you don't get rebuilt.
5- I agree, that would be nice.
6- Keep fixing? They fucked it up. You can't fix something you fucked up with more of the same fucking things up.

LMAO! The government shutdown didn't cost jack shit. What you are trying to sell as "costing" the economy was simply a bunch of government employees not getting paid to do the worthless job they have that nobody should even care about. You think not spending money we don't have is "costing" us something. Well let me tell you, we need to "cost" our not spending by about 18 trillion dollars.
The Government employees were paid to sit home for 16 days while Republicans threw hissy fits because the monuments were closed
And why were they paid? They shouldn't have been. They didn't work.
They were ready and willing to work

Why should they be punished over a Republican temper tantrum?
I don't give a shit who's ready to work. There has to be a job people need done in order to work. They should all be shown the door and join the rest of the tax paying world in obie's economy actually producing something.

Republicans who cost us $26 billion in a temper tantrum shouldn't have been paid
Agreed, congress shouldn't be paid either. There's no reason they get that much and all the benefits.

The democrats are ready to shut down the government again. In more shocking news, the sun shown on the Sahara desert today.

3698423-2073-REPUBLICANS%20SAY%20THE-0.jpg
That's the way democrats roll.

Must-Read Quotes About Republicans' Second Shutdown Showdown

Republicans in the House, Senate, and state governments are strongly warning their colleagues that another shutdown showdown is an unsuccessful strategy and not in their party’s best interest:

Representative Charlie Dent (R-PA): “Shutting down the government is not in our political interest, it will undermine the Republican brand and it will hurt whoever the Republican nominee is in November.” [New York Times, 9/21/15]

Representative Tom Cole (R-OK): “Having charged up the hill once and been shot down, why would you want to do that again?” [U.S. News and World Report, 9/14/15]

Nearly a dozen House Republican freshmen: “[W]e are writing today to express our strong support for a funding resolution that will avoid another unnecessary and harmful government shutdown… [W]e were elected by our constituent’s [sic] to be principled, pragmatic leaders… The sixteen-day government shutdown in 2013 … not only hurt taxpayers with the loss of important government services — it actually cost more taxpayer money to close the federal government than to keep it open.” [Politico, 9/23/15]

Majority Leader McConnell (R-KY): “[A government shutdown] would be an exercise in futility.” [CNN, 9/15/15]

Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH): “Given the challenges and threats we face at home and abroad, I oppose risking a government shutdown, particularly when it appears there is no chance of achieving a successful result... During the last government shutdown, I repeatedly asked you [Senator Cruz] what your strategy for success was when we did not have the votes to achieve the goal of defunding Obamacare, but I did not receive an answer.” [The Hill, 9/17/15]

Senator Dan Coats (R-IN): “I don’t want to use a failed tactic for political purposes knowing that it’s not going to succeed.” [Politico, 9/10/15]

Senator Susan Collins (R-ME): “We really need a clean CR if we’re going to avoid a government shutdown.” [Politico, 9/22/15]

Governor John Kasich (R-OH): “The president's made it clear he is not going to sign it… I'm willing to fight all day long, but you've got to have a good prospect of being able to be successful. Because if you're not successful, you shut the government down, you open it up and you haven't achieved anything. You're just going to have people shake their head and wonder what your thinking was.” [Huffington Post, 9/13/15]

The overwhelming majority of Americans agree this is a failed strategy and do not want a repeat of 2013. Instead, they want their Representatives in Congress to act responsibly and fund our government immediately:

Majority of Americans: “More than seven in 10 Americans said they would prefer a budget agreement to prevent the government from shutting down, compared to just 22 percent who said it is more important for Congress to eliminate all funding from Planned Parenthood.” [Politico, 9/14/15]

Editorial Boards across the country are also joining in calling on Republican leaders to stop taking the government hostage in order to advance their partisan politics:

Los Angeles Times: “A mere two years after futilely shutting down much of the federal government in a doomed-from-the-start effort to ‘defund Obamacare,’ congressional Republicans appear determined to force another shutdown in a doomed-from-the-start effort to ‘defund Planned Parenthood.’ And with a few notable exceptions, the GOP presidential candidates have been cheering on this exercise in dysfunction…. [Another shutdown] would not only hurt the thousands of federal workers and contractors who'd receive no pay; it would deny constituents all ‘nonessential’ services, such as housing subsidies, small-business loans and environmental reviews of construction projects. And worse, it would hit the brakes on the U.S. economy and rattle global markets. Leaders from both parties and the Obama administration need to work out a compromise now, and spare us having to watch this bad movie again.” [9/18/15]

Washington Post: “The federal government’s authority to spend money on discretionary programs expires at midnight on Sept. 30 — just a week from Wednesday… The bigger problem is in the House, where Speaker John A. Boehner (Ohio) is struggling — once again — to rein in far-right conservatives who are willing to pass a funding bill only if it reflects their priorities, in this case, by ‘defunding’ Planned Parenthood. That is, they prefer grandstanding, on behalf of a cause most Americans don’t support, to governing the country… Still, as Mr. Boehner himself undoubtedly realizes, the ultras in his caucus are not only acting contrary to the national interest, but they are also acting contrary to the Republican Party’s own long-term political interest.” [9/23/15]

Wall Street Journal: “Congress is back in Washington, which means more intra-GOP drama when funding for the government expires at the end of the month. Some conservatives are trying to force a showdown over Planned Parenthood, but we wish they’d explain how this would benefit the antiabortion movement or the Republican majority… The problem is that this plan lacks even a small chance of successRepublicans got most of the blame for [the 2013 government shutdown], 53% to 29% for Mr. Obama in an Oct. 22, 2013 Washington Post-ABC poll. The GOP image tanked, with Gallup reporting the same month that only 22% of the country viewed Republicans favorably—the lowest rating for either party since the pollster started asking the question in 1992.” [9/8/15]

MORE:

Must-Read Quotes About Republicans' Second Shutdown Showdown | The Office of Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer

Oct. 17, 2013

The Post-Shutdown GOP Civil War in 23 Quotes

THE WE-TOLD-YOU-SO ESTABLISHMENT

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.): "We're not going to go through the shutdown again. People have been too traumatized by it. There's too much damage…We're not going to shut down the government again. I guarantee it."

Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.): "This party is going nuts."

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.): "For the party, this is a moment of self-evaluation, we are going to assess how we got here…If we continue down this path, we are really going to hurt the Republican Party long-term."

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.): "On our side of the aisle, we've wasted two months focused on something that was never going to happen. I won't say that I did, but a number of folks did. What we could have been doing all this time is focused on those mandatory changes that all of us know our country needs, and we’ve blown that opportunity. I hate to say it.”

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.): Called Republicans advocating for the shutdown "lemmings with suicide vests…They have to be more than just a lemming. Because jumping to your death is not enough."

Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Penn.):On his long-held belief that the government shutdown wouldn't work: "I was correct in my analysis, and I'd say a lot of those folks were not correct in theirs."

Karl Rove: "Barack Obama set the trap. Some congressional Republicans walked into it. As a result, the president is stronger, the GOP is weaker, and Obamacare is marginally more popular. The battles over spending, taxes, and debt have not been resolved, only postponed. It's time Republicans remembered that bad tactics produce bad outcomes."

Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.): "All you need to do is look about 200 miles south of here to see the mess that Republicans and Democrats have made of our national government and we should haul all their rear-ends to Camden today to see how bipartisanship works and government works together."

THE WE-WILL-RISE-AGAIN REBELS

Rep. John Fleming (R-La.): Said that the agreement will "get us into Round 2. See, we're going to start this all over again.”

Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho): "I'm more upset with my Republican conference, to be honest with you…If anybody should be kicked out, it's probably those Republicans—and not Speaker Boehner—who are unwilling to keep the promises they made to American people."

Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kans.): "I would say the surrender caucus is the whiner caucus, and all they do is whine about the battle, as if they thought being elected to Washington was going to be an easy job."

Erick Erickson, editor in chief of RedState: "We must advance. Two Republicans in the Senate caused this fight that their colleagues would have surrendered on more quickly but for them. Imagine a Senate filled with more. We have an opportunity to replace Mitch McConnell in Kentucky with a better conservative. We should do that…as more Americans watch Obamacare fail them through the Republican primary season, conservatives will be able to put the focus on Republicans who funded Obamacare instead of fighting it. Whether they like it or not, Republicans in Congress will find their names on ballots in 2014. They cannot hide or escape fate."

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.): "Absolutely, I think [the shutdown and debt ceiling fight were] worth it! It's been worth it because what we did is we fought the right fight."

Sen. David Vitter (R-La.): "My No Obamacare Exemption for Washington language has been blocked out by Harry Reid, Barrack Obama and others who want to keep their special subsidy. But it's not going away and neither am I."

Americans for Prosperity: "Our activists are more engaged than ever in this fight, and we intend to hold politicians accountable for their promise to stop overspending."

Michael Needham, Heritage Action for America president: "I admire what the House has done in the last couple weeks. It's unfortunate that the Senate hasn't been responsive to the American people…and really has undercut the House throughout the last two weeks."

LMAOROG

MORE:

The post-shutdown GOP civil war in 23 quotes

How do we fix things?
3. Close the loop holes.

This would do a thousand times more for reducing the debt then cutting infrastructure, science, r&d and education...Which of course hasn't added any debt.

10BudgetFixesThatDon%27tRequireTreason.jpg
Raise taxes, raise taxes, raise taxes. The only solution you can come up with but will not be willing to pay for yourself.

The funniest line is negotiate drug prices. Have you not seen how good the government is at negotiating? The Iran deal was a winner eh? Obiecare sure worked out well.

Quotes from the GOP shutdown

“We’re very excited,” said Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.). “It’s exactly what we wanted, and we got it.”

Michele Bachmann: “People will be very grateful,” she said.

“This is my idea of fun,” Rep. David Schweikert (R-AZ) said about the shutdown.

“We’re not going to be disrespected,” conservative Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind. added. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

How do we fix things?
3. Close the loop holes.

Raise taxes, raise taxes, raise taxes. The only solution you can come up with but will not be willing to pay for yourself.

The funniest line is negotiate drug prices. Have you not seen how good the government is at negotiating? The Iran deal was a winner eh? Obiecare sure worked out well.

No what we had when we had surpluses? HINT 20% OF GDP. Dubya took US to less than 15%

The funniest is to negotiate with Pharma? Yeah, stupid fukkn morons don't understand the GOP RAMMED DOWN OUR THROATS MEDICARE PART D, WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO NEGOTIATE WITH THE PHARMA CORPS, BY LAW!!

Idiots

How do we fix things?
3. Close the loop holes.

No what we had when we had surpluses? HINT 20% OF GDP. Dubya took US to less than 15%

The funniest is to negotiate with Pharma? Yeah, stupid fukkn morons don't understand the GOP RAMMED DOWN OUR THROATS MEDICARE PART D, WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO NEGOTIATE WITH THE PHARMA CORPS, BY LAW!!

Idiots
Still blaming W seven years later and now it's the GOP that rammed down your throat medicare when you only had dem votes for obiecare,

Isn't medicare the system you think should be the only healthcare option available when you get single payer/

Give us a free and clear Bill, stop playing these stupid, idiotic games Republicans, we are on to you and your wasteful political posturing on my tax dime.

Ha. We weren't the ones who filibustered an anti-human trafficking bill. Losers. Your party couldn't even move past their own biases to pass the bill.

Last edited:
How do we fix things?
3. Close the loop holes.

Idiots
Still blaming W seven years later and now it's the GOP that rammed down your throat medicare when you only had dem votes for obiecare,

Isn't medicare the system you think should be the only healthcare option available when you get single payer/

Oh yes I forgot, ONLY Ronnie's policies last 16 years, the 16 year Reagan miracle, Dubya's policies stopped Jan 20th 2009

Only Dem votes on a bill 100% funded UNLIKE GOP's REAL middle of the night Medicare that FORBID negotiating with Pharma and didn't fund it with a single penny? lol

Yep, Medicare SHOULD BE WHAT EVERYONE HAS, OF COURSE IF IT HAPPENS, THE DEMS WILL FUND IT, UNLIKE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING THE GOP DOES!

Here are some things that happened on the night the GOP pushed the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit through the House of Representatives:

A 15-minute vote was scheduled, and at the end of 15 minutes, the Democrats had won. The Republican leadership froze the clock for three hours while they desperately whipped defectors.

This had never been done before. The closest was a 15-minute extension in 1987 that then-congressman Dick Cheney called “the most arrogant, heavy-handed abuse of power I’ve ever seen in the 10 years that I’ve been here.”

Tom DeLay bribed Rep. Nick Smith to vote for the legislation, using the political future of Smith's son for leverage. DeLay was later reprimanded by the House Ethics Committee.

The leadership told Rep. Jim DeMint that they would cut off funding for his Senate race in South Carolina if he didn't vote for the bill.

The chief actuary of Medicare, Rick Foster, had scored the legislation as costing more than $500 billion. The Bush administration suppressed his report, in a move the Government Accounting Office later judged "illegal.”

Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, a "no" vote, spent the night "hiding on the Democratic side of the floor, crouching down to avoid eye contact with the Republican search team."

Rep. Butch Otter, who provided one of the final votes after hours of arm-twisting from the Republican leadership, said, “I thought there was a chance I would get sick on the floor.”

Remember all this? Probably not. There wasn't much reporting on it at the time. It wasn't a major controversy, despite resulting in multiple official investigations. I went back through the archives of National Review's “The Corner” to see if they covered the scandal. Not really. There are four or five posts on it, and the most substantive is Ramesh Ponnuru telling some columnist that "it's silly to act as though holding a vote open for a long time is an act of lawbreaking."

MORE HERE

Ezra Klein - Lessons from the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit vote

Give us a free and clear Bill, stop playing these stupid, idiotic games Republicans, we are on to you and your wasteful political posturing on my tax dime.

Ha. We weren't the ones who filibustered an anti-human trafficking bill. Losers. Your party couldn't even move past their own biases to pass the bill.

Shocking YOU are not honest? lol

Traffick Jam: Democrats Filibuster Human Trafficking Bill Over Anti-Abortion Provision

Senate Democrats filibustered anti-human trafficking legislation on Tuesday because of an anti-abortion provision Republicans slipped into it.

The Senate voted 55 to 43 to move the bill forward, falling short of the 60 votes needed to clear a procedural hurdle. Democratic Sens. Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), Bob Casey (Pa.), Joe Manchin (W.Va.) and Joe Donnelly (Ind.) voted with Republicans to try to advance it.

Without the abortion language, the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act had near-universal support. The bill, which creates a fund to help victims by using fees charged to traffickers, has several Democratic co-sponsors and sailed through the Senate Judiciary Committee last month. But Democrats discovered last week that Republicans tucked Hyde Amendment language into it, which restricts federal funding for abortion and other health care services. They have since vowed to hold up the bill until the provision is removed.

The bill also expands Hyde Amendment restrictions beyond taxpayer dollars to include revenue from traffickers' fees.

"We're not talking about taxpayer money," Leahy said Tuesday. "We're talking about money collected from the very offenders who have already controlled too much of the lives of these women and girls. These survivors deserve more options, not fewer."

Traffick Jam: Democrats Filibuster Human Trafficking Bill Over Anti-Abortion Provision

POS

If it's so bad, why not let the vote go through? Could it be that you don't want the veto on Obama's hands? Because that would leave no doubt as to which party is obstructing.

Translation you were hoping I forgot about that weren't you. Democrats are scum, sorry to break it to you.

Forget what? The GOP ONLY wants to "look" like they are for US, but haven't been for 30+ years?

Riiiiight the areas liberals control are utopias, oh wait no they are crime ridden cesspools. How many millions of young black and Hispanic men have you libs sent to prison again from your inner cities?

Those areas gutted by CONservatives policy that de-industrialized cities AND created policy that criminalized behavior that was harmed minorities disproportionately?

3637558bad3a58b82483efa2eab7c9dd.jpg
Detriot is republican? California? Really?

Oh I get it ANOTHER brain dead CONservative who confused about what happens to cities when GOV'T POLICY ALLOWS OFFSHORING US JOBS?

Cali? By FARRR the US's largest economic? lol

In red states or blue states all the shithole cities are owned and run by Democrats.

The clock is ticking Republicans.......

You control Congress, what are you going to do to avoid a shutdown?

Forget what? The GOP ONLY wants to "look" like they are for US, but haven't been for 30+ years?

Riiiiight the areas liberals control are utopias, oh wait no they are crime ridden cesspools. How many millions of young black and Hispanic men have you libs sent to prison again from your inner cities?

Those areas gutted by CONservatives policy that de-industrialized cities AND created policy that criminalized behavior that was harmed minorities disproportionately?

3637558bad3a58b82483efa2eab7c9dd.jpg
Detriot is republican? California? Really?

Oh I get it ANOTHER brain dead CONservative who confused about what happens to cities when GOV'T POLICY ALLOWS OFFSHORING US JOBS?

Cali? By FARRR the US's largest economic? lol

In red states or blue states all the shithole cities are owned and run by Democrats.

0345e055cb34da83b888883205bd73d8.jpg

It’s Official: White Folks in Red States are the Biggest Food Stamp ‘Moochers’ in the Country!

Statistics reveal that the city holding the most beneficiaries of the SNAP program (a favorite target of the GOP) is 99.22% white and 95% Republican. Owsley County, Kentucky earns the lowest median household income in the country, but they are the most prolific government-takers in U.S. existence.

According to a TIME analysis of county-by-county food stamp enrollment data, GOP politicians represent more districts that majorly participate in SNAP than Democrats.

It’s Official: White Folks in Red States are the Biggest Food Stamp ‘Moochers’ in the Country!

Forum List

Back