GOP Economic Policies Under Heavy Fire

WASHINGTON — The boasts of Congressional Republicans about their cost-cutting victories are ringing hollow to some well-known economists, financial analysts and corporate leaders, including some Republicans, who are expressing increasing alarm over Washington’s new austerity and antitax orthodoxy.

MORE (by Jackie Calmes): G.O.P. on Defensive as Analysts Question Party’s Fiscal Policy

Dems had a super majority for almost two years, junior...

Prove it.

Are you suggesting they didn't have a super majority until the Scott Brown election? Even after that they had it in the house and had 59 in the Senate and could have rammed through any legislation they wanted, like obamacare.....

Seriously, wtf is wrong with trying to balance our national budget.

Nothing, when the timing is right. But should one try trimming their toenails during a heart attack?

Right now government should be spending on infrastructure and JOBS.

No, we shouldn't.

Because usually those projects waste money.

Remember the 1 Trillion dollar stimulus. How many jobs did that produce?

What we need to do is rebuild our manufacturing infrastructure and get our trade policies under control. Then you can get the money to do the infrastructure stuff.

We are running huge deficits because the free traders allowed us to move all the good manufacturing jobs overseas, and we are bleeding a half trillion a year in trade to other countries.

From 1776-1976, the entire national debt was all of 600 Billion. That was it. That's what we ran up with two world wars and a few smaller ones, building the interstate highway system, the space program, the New Deal and the Great Society. We could afford all this stuff.

Because in that time period, we exported more than we imported, there was plenty of money to finance the government, and plenty of jobs to keep the tax payer to tax recipiant ratio sane.

Spending a crapload of money we don't have isn't the solution. Getting us back on track econmically is. And if that means creating jobs that aren't great initially, so be it.

It wasn't a trillion, it was $821 billion and it created or saved 3 million jobs. The stimulus kept us from a Depression so it was money well spent...unlike the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan (which got us to the brink in the first place)

Who really thinks that you can invade two countries AND cut taxes?

I agree with you on manufacturing, but disagree with you on infrastructure. I think we DO need money spent on our infrastructure...to support 21st century technologies. Our broadband infrastructure is 17th in the world. That's pretty pathetic for the country that invented the internet.

Prove it.

Are you suggesting they didn't have a super majority until the Scott Brown election? Even after that they had it in the house and had 59 in the Senate and could have rammed through any legislation they wanted, like obamacare.....

They did not. You can't discount the blue dogs and Lieberman.

Thats right you cant. The bluedogs are democrats and lieberman caucuses with democrats. DOH!!

I like to watch Republicans squirm when they go to those "Town Hall" meetings. Think they will cancel them for the rest of the year?

WASHINGTON — The boasts of Congressional Republicans about their cost-cutting victories are ringing hollow to some well-known economists, financial analysts and corporate leaders, including some Republicans, who are expressing increasing alarm over Washington’s new austerity and antitax orthodoxy.

MORE (by Jackie Calmes): G.O.P. on Defensive as Analysts Question Party’s Fiscal Policy

OK.....I nominate this thread as one of the most boneheaded of the year.

Nobody is blaming the GOP for the economy being so fcukked up except for the far left k00ks on the internet.

Meanwhile..................

According to Reuters, Consumer Confidence just hit a 35 year low...........or, in other words.........not since Jimmy Carter:D:D U.S. consumer sentiment grim but retail sales jump | Reuters

.......and maybe 4 economists see it getting better in the next 16 months.

Sheeeeet..........even young people are now realizing they fcukked up with this Hope and Change crap..............

Defining the problem is the easy part. What's the solution?

I say taxes proven fair by their simplicity and a budget that is balanced by law.

I like to watch Republicans squirm when they go to those "Town Hall" meetings. Think they will cancel them for the rest of the year?

Right?

Dont taze me bro.

As democrats cowered from discussing the healthcare bill and refused to hold town meetings.

All you need to know about the fundamental problem Republicans have is that they are trying to sell cutting government spending as a jobs program,

when in fact it is just the opposite.

Baloney - we just had almost 3 years of "shovel ready jobs" - the 9.1% unemployment rate shows what they were "shoveling". :lol:

Prove it.

They did not. You can't discount the blue dogs and Lieberman.

So it's only a supermajority if they're all Nancy Pelosi's and Harry Reid's ........:lol:

All you need to know about the fundamental problem Republicans have is that they are trying to sell cutting government spending as a jobs program,

when in fact it is just the opposite.

While not necessarily un-true, that is definitely NOT all I need to know.

Jus' sayin'...

Right?

Dont taze me bro.

As democrats cowered from discussing the healthcare bill and refused to hold town meetings.

Yea, because healthcare for Americans is a bad thing. Just ask Paul Ryan. How's that working out for him?

Nothing, when the timing is right. But should one try trimming their toenails during a heart attack?

watcha gonna spend asshole? we ain't got no money..

watcha gonna spend asshole? we ain't got no money..

How about we use the $12 million per day we're currently spending to blow up other peoples infrastructure?

Right?

Dont taze me bro.

Yea, because healthcare for Americans is a bad thing. Just ask Paul Ryan. How's that working out for him?

You didnt address healthcare, you did pay off insurance companies along with several senators etc. Result higher costs.

You were saying?

If we plan to continue on as a relatively free nation, the first priority needs to be taxes.

Congress has stepped beyond the constitution when they took upon themselves the power to tax you differently from me. There is no place for favoritism in the tax code of a democracy - favoritism breeds corruption.

Step 1. A simple and fair tax code.

Step 2. A budget that is balanced by law.

The rest will fall into place once congress returns the power stolen from the people when it stepped outside the constitution to play favorites with the tax code.

I'm in 100% agreement.

Right?

Dont taze me bro.

Pay for your own health care. It sells itself. There is no right to someone else paying for your care.

Right?

Dont taze me bro.

You didnt address healthcare, you did pay off insurance companies along with several senators etc. Result higher costs.

You were saying?

The number one cause of bankruptcy before the health care bill was medical bills. Romney care didn't do any more damage than what Republicans have already done. We needed a "public option", but when have Republicans done anything good for this country in the last 20 or 30 years?

I love it when Republicans say, "If it was so good, how come you couldn't pass it"? Uh, because we have a political party whose ONLY goal is to make the first black president "fail"? Now Republicans have the lowest ratings in history. And their town halls are hilarious.

Republicans held both houses and the presidency for 6 straight years. And look at what they gave us. Do we have to go through the list again? Funny how Republicans can take the disastrous Bush years and turn "lemons" into "lemonAIDS".

Forum List

Back