GOP Congressman 'Supresses' Colleague's Freedom Of Expression

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
GOP congressman takes down colleague's sponsored 'art' depicting police as pigs

"A Republican congressman took matters into his own hands Friday and personally removed a painting depicting police officers as pigs that a colleague had allowed to be displayed at the U.S. Capitol complex.

“I was angry,” Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., told FoxNews.com. “I’ve seen the press [reporting] on this for about a week or so. … I’m in the Marine Corps. If you want it done, just call us.”

Semper Fi, my friend...

That being said, Rep Hunter crossed the line. While I share his dislike for the painting, I remember what he has forgotten - serving our country in the military, protecting everyone's Constitutional Rights - to include Freedom of Speech and Expression, whether we agree or not with it.

He should be made to put the painting back up. The more acceptable thing to do would have been (and still would be) to continue to draw as much publicity to the painting and the Politician who has it up on the wall.

According to Hunter, though:
"As for whether the painting will stay down, Hunter said: “Lacy can put it back up, I guess, if he wants to … but I’m allowed to take it down.”

By what authority, I do not know.

"Hunter said he’s friends with Clay, calling him a “great guy.” He added, “But you’ve got to respect our men in uniform and what they do.”

You also still have to respect the Constitution and people's Rights.

Again, this may be nothing. Perhaps there are rules which allowed Hunter to remove another Congressman's artwork from the wall without his permission.

GOP congressman takes down colleague's sponsored 'art' depicting police as pigs

I understand your point...

but I'd like to know who picked the judges for Clay's Congressional district.

Forum List

Back