GOOD THOUGHTS

I'd rather watch paint dry than make kumbaya talk, touchy-feely and such.
I don't see this as kumbaya, touchy-feely stuff. I see it as being honest with one another about what we have experienced and how it has informed our values and ideals. Real honesty may even be uncomfortable at times.

I think the world would be a better place if we all did the right thing. Treating others better doesn't change their bad behavior.
The Kerner Commission, appointed by President Johnson in 1967 concluded that it was white racism that caused the riots in the inner cities. Here's a portion of their findings:
The report's best known passage warned: "Our nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white—separate and unequal." The report was a strong indictment of white America: "What white Americans have never fully understood — but what the Negro can never forget — is that white society is deeply implicated in the ghetto. White institutions created it, white institutions maintain it, and white society condones it."
Its results suggested that one main cause of urban violence was white racism and suggested that white America bore much of the responsibility for black rioting and rebellion.

I believe that perhaps what you say can be true of individuals, but had the country as a whole and had the institutions treated Black people better and with equality, much behavior would have been changed. And perhaps still could be.

You could be right about that. But Ecclesiastes 11:1 says to cast our bread upon the waters. An explanation of that verse says "sow seeds of goodness every day, even when it doesn't make sense. Be diligent about sowing goodness. Then goodness will become a part of who you are, not just a thing that you do, and the world will be a better place because of it."
This might be more appropriate here.
Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces” (Matthew 7:6)

This might be more appropriate here.
Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces” (Matthew 7:6)
I believe that this refers to preaching the gospel and discerning who will accept it and who will reject it and continue their evil ways. I continue to believe that there are some people who will eventually see the truth about racism if they hear it enough.

I know of a man who attended a conversation on race and left quite angry because a black woman had stood put said, "Nothing will change until the white man changes." He was furious because he was white. For days afterward he kept thinking about what she said. He finally got in touch with the group that sponsored the talk. He got her name and number, met with her and talked. They eventually became friends and now go around together sharing their insights.

Similar thing happened to a white guy who called into a news show where the guest was Heather McGhee. She told him she was so glad he had called and suggested things he could do to improve race relations. They met and now they are great friends and also make appearances together.

People can and do grow and change and improve themselves. My personal opinion.

I believe that this refers to preaching the gospel and discerning who will accept it and who will reject it and continue their evil ways. I continue to believe that there are some people who will eventually see the truth about racism if they hear it enough.

I know of a man who attended a conversation on race and left quite angry because a black woman had stood put said, "Nothing will change until the white man changes." He was furious because he was white. For days afterward he kept thinking about what she said. He finally got in touch with the group that sponsored the talk. He got her name and number, met with her and talked. They eventually became friends and now go around together sharing their insights.

Similar thing happened to a white guy who called into a news show where the guest was Heather McGhee. She told him she was so glad he had called and suggested things he could do to improve race relations. They met and now they are great friends and also make appearances together.

People can and do grow and change and improve themselves. My personal opinion.
So instead of realizing he had fell in with a crowd of lunatics and telling the racist black woman to shove it, he was overcome by Stockholm syndrome. Very sad.

The Kerner Commission, appointed by President Johnson in 1967 concluded that it was white racism that caused the riots in the inner cities. Here's a portion of their findings:
The report's best known passage warned: "Our nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white—separate and unequal." The report was a strong indictment of white America: "What white Americans have never fully understood — but what the Negro can never forget — is that white society is deeply implicated in the ghetto. White institutions created it, white institutions maintain it, and white society condones it."
Its results suggested that one main cause of urban violence was white racism and suggested that white America bore much of the responsibility for black rioting and rebellion.

I believe that perhaps what you say can be true of individuals, but had the country as a whole and had the institutions treated Black people better and with equality, much behavior would have been changed. And perhaps still could be.
1964 saw the Equal Rights laws enacted, which was and is the springboard for black advancement. It's been nearly 60 years and blacks have made enormous progress since then in every area, with even better days ahead, the problems with the black subculture notwithstanding. :)

Last edited:
1964 saw the Equal Rights laws enacted, which was and is the springboard for black advancement. It's been nearly 60 years and blacks have made enormous progress since then in every area, with even better days ahead, the problems with the black subculture notwithstanding. :)
Good to recognize that there is a black subculture just like there is a subculture in every other group. Some folks don't like to admit similar problems in their own communities and find it easier to scapegoat the entire black population. We all have positive and negative.

That enormous progress can and will be reversed as soon as the right gets their opportunity to do so. This is no time to become complacent.

You could be right about that. But Ecclesiastes 11:1 says to cast our bread upon the waters. An explanation of that verse says "sow seeds of goodness every day, even when it doesn't make sense. Be diligent about sowing goodness. Then goodness will become a part of who you are, not just a thing that you do, and the world will be a better place because of it."
1643505414134.png

So instead of realizing he had fell in with a crowd of lunatics and telling the racist black woman to shove it, he was overcome by Stockholm syndrome. Very sad.
His emotional response was not toward an abuser or captor. He chose to attend a workshop where people were free to express their honest opinions. Allowing open, honest discussion about race relations is hardly foolish. The woman said what she believed to be true. His initial emotional response was anger but upon further communication, he realized where that anger came from and dealt with it honestly. Not sad at all - in my opinion. Actually, very enlightening.

That enormous progress can and will be reversed as soon as the right gets their opportunity to do so. This is no time to become complacent.
I think the right is interested in reversing the fortunes of the black subculture, which is having a heyday.

Forum List

Back