Zone1 Netflix: Files of the Unexplained - Haunting of Lake Lanier

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
This has just been one of those nights and then I stumble upon this story, long after I should be in bed sleeping in spite of it being the weekend.

There is a piece of heartbreaking and painful history within this episode of Netflix's "Files of the Unexplained". The ironic thing is it touches upon the history of the "Trail of Tears" which I just found out by watching tonight is actually called the "Trail of Tears and Death". But towards the end of the episode, it additionally recounts the event when all of the Black people in Forsythe, Georgia were run out of the county. I previously tried on three separate occasions to open discussion on this event but each time my threads were allowed to be trolled to the point where the moderators are reported to have found it easier to shut down than to clean it up and enforce the rules.

I unfortunately cannot give it the real time and attention I believe it deserves, at least not for another week as I have time-sensitive obligations elsewhere, but hopefully it can survive long enough for me to get back to it. The story I'm referring to begins when they mention "Oscarville".

Please note: I am unable to link to the transcript of the audio but it's there, if anyone else knows how to link it please do, thank you.

I assume that the quoted stats are correct --- 700 deaths since it became an artificial lake but 200 since 2019 .
Average 10 a year in total -- reservoir created ca.70 years ago---- which is high but nowhere near Lake Michigan figures , for example .
But it is a huge Atlanta area tourist attraction and it would be nice to know Deaths as a percentage of visitors, compared to other lakes -- natural and artificial .

Some factors that strike me as relevant
**The water depth changes frequently and by a big amount , and Divers say that underwater conditions are some of the worst known in terms of obstructions .
** Lake officials hand out BUIs like confetti -- reflects people fined for reasons related to alcohol use and I assume this mainly reflects those using boats .
**Otherwise a booming tourist attraction and some might have "created" ( deliberately manufactured) a sense of mystery and concern , judging that it would be commercially rewarding .
** Several paranormal type rumours have zero support evidence as far as I am aware .

Obviously this post comes from only a cursory review of on-line articles, none of which are from reputable sources imo .
That is, they come from all of the usual Fake News suspects , so called newspapers and TV/ Cable companies .

My best guess is that it is a sort of Scottish Loch Ness type of story built on Fake News mainly for free publicity .
But Good Fun .

Last edited:
I know exactly where that is and I don't work far from there.

Georgia is something else.

• Fact
Reactions: IM2
I lived in Atlanta for a couple years a while back. Lake Lanier is a beautiful area but does have a somewhat eerie feel to it. There is a town underneath the water. Not exactly something you'd find with natural lakes.

Oscarville is a sad story in itself. It was a working class area where everyone got along and helped each other out until one 18 yr old was raped/beaten and someone decided all the African Americans in the town had to go.

This has just been one of those nights and then I stumble upon this story, long after I should be in bed sleeping in spite of it being the weekend.

There is a piece of heartbreaking and painful history within this episode of Netflix's "Files of the Unexplained". The ironic thing is it touches upon the history of the "Trail of Tears" which I just found out by watching tonight is actually called the "Trail of Tears and Death". But towards the end of the episode, it additionally recounts the event when all of the Black people in Forsythe, Georgia were run out of the county. I previously tried on three separate occasions to open discussion on this event but each time my threads were allowed to be trolled to the point where the moderators are reported to have found it easier to shut down than to clean it up and enforce the rules.

I unfortunately cannot give it the real time and attention I believe it deserves, at least not for another week as I have time-sensitive obligations elsewhere, but hopefully it can survive long enough for me to get back to it. The story I'm referring to begins when they mention "Oscarville".

Please note: I am unable to link to the transcript of the audio but it's there, if anyone else knows how to link it please do, thank you.

Her

Here is a link to another written source:
How a Georgia county’s campaign of terror drove away its black community

Forum List

Back