Golf Stories

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I don't really have any. Tried it a bunch of times when I was younger. Other than drinking and peeing outside, I wasn't very good at any part of it. No idea why some folks are so fucking obsessed with it.

Personally, the most fun was fishing my balls out of the water hazards. That sounded bad. Good thing we're not downstairs.

I don't really have any. Tried it a bunch of times when I was younger. Other than drinking and peeing outside, I wasn't very good at any part of it. No idea why some folks are so fucking obsessed with it.

Picked it up about 30 years ago after I watched the 1988 Masters. Used to drink on the course until I figured out that I sucked even worse when I drank, so I had a hard and fast rule that there would be no drinking until the 19th hole. Played 18 holes in an absolute downpour in 1999. Played routinely during the winters of 1990 and 1991 when the ground was frozen but they still kept golf courses open. Came within 6 inches of a hole in one twice (1992 and 2005).

It gets under your skin and then into your blood. The next hole is always a chance to do better. You can have a crappy round and then hit a briliant final shot to make a birdie on the last hole and it'll keep you coming back for more.

Personally, the most fun was fishing my balls out of the water hazards. That sounded bad. Good thing we're not downstairs.

I used to carry a golf ball retriever up until the point I got tired of fishing golf balls out of the drink. Then I just bought less expensive golf balls.
Problem solved.

Picked it up about 30 years ago after I watched the 1988 Masters. Used to drink on the course until I figured out that I sucked even worse when I drank, so I had a hard and fast rule that there would be no drinking until the 19th hole. Played 18 holes in an absolute downpour in 1999. Played routinely during the winters of 1990 and 1991 when the ground was frozen but they still kept golf courses open. Came within 6 inches of a hole in one twice (1992 and 2005).

It gets under your skin and then into your blood. The next hole is always a chance to do better. You can have a crappy round and then hit a briliant final shot to make a birdie on the last hole and it'll keep you coming back for more.
Chipping has always been my downfall. I used to play about once a year in the summer at this little Par 3. I'd drive it to a pretty good set up for the green, then I'd chip and sail over the green, traipse over and try again easier this time and land just short of the green, and then chip it bouncing and rolling straight across the green into the rough again. I HATE chipping.

I've never had a hole in one but when I was 18, I was playing with my buddies and we came to a par 3 that was backed up. So the group on the green waved us up and they were literally standing on the green just behind the pin. I was up and my buddies were giving me shit "Don't choke Mike, they're watching you!" I hit my shot and it was a little low but right at the pin. It landed on the green, took one hop and hit the pin! We heard it. All four guys on the green jumped straight up in the air and we all thought it went in. But when we got up to the green, my ball was sitting on the front lip of the hole. So that's my almost hole in one story.

I used to carry a golf ball retriever up until the point I got tired of fishing golf balls out of the drink. Then I just bought less expensive golf balls.
Problem solved.
That's the sensible thing to do. The golf course my mom and stepdad always frequented was right on the side of the road. In the evening, he'd drive down and go across the street in the ditch and the trees and come back with a sack of balls people had spliced across the road. Sometimes he'd give me a few of those for water hazard shots.

Chipping has always been my downfall. I used to play about once a year in the summer at this little Par 3. I'd drive it to a pretty good set up for the green, then I'd chip and sail over the green, traipse over and try again easier this time and land just short of the green, and then chip it bouncing and rolling straight across the green into the rough again. I HATE chipping.
Try this. Relax your arms and swing the club back and forth like a clock pendulum. Take a couple practice swings just brushing the grass. Then step up and do the exact same swing. Think tic toc like a pendulum, forget the ball.

Used to play a lot through college. Now not so much. One time I manage to have my tee shot strike one of the markers in front and ricochet straight back into my head. That wasn't fun. Had a friend kill a bird midflight which while tragic for the bird was one of those What Are The Effing Odds of That Happening moments.

I've never had a hole in one but when I was 18, I was playing with my buddies and we came to a par 3 that was backed up. So the group on the green waved us up and they were literally standing on the green just behind the pin. I was up and my buddies were giving me shit "Don't choke Mike, they're watching you!" I hit my shot and it was a little low but right at the pin. It landed on the green, took one hop and hit the pin! We heard it. All four guys on the green jumped straight up in the air and we all thought it went in. But when we got up to the green, my ball was sitting on the front lip of the hole. So that's my almost hole in one story.
Dang! That was clear interference from the pin!
1585709357762.png

Used to play a lot through college. Now not so much. One time I manage to have my tee shot strike one of the markers in front and ricochet straight back into my head. That wasn't fun. Had a friend kill a bird midflight which while tragic for the bird was one of those What Are The Effing Odds of That Happening moments.
Now that's a golfing story!

Try this. Relax your arms and swing the club back and forth like a clock pendulum. Take a couple practice swings just brushing the grass. Then step up and do the exact same swing. Think tic toc like a pendulum, forget the ball.
Thanks, Mike!

Thanks, Mike!
Sure, I hope it works for you. Chipping is a "feel" shot so it's brush brush tic toc.

There is plenty of money to be made on the course in way of bets. The thing I dislike about golf is after 5k in earning you haft to get a PGA card. I will win this much in first couple of months then I am just playing for a trophie. It is the hardest sport to learn in my opinion. Took me about two years to become a scratch bowler. After a life time of golf I come in under par maybe two three times a year. It is a big chalenge is the draw along with the nature the courses provide. They are pretty places to spend a day and also a healthy place to spend a day.

Used to play pretty regular. For me it was just getting out of the house and enjoying some of the beautiful courses in Texas.
Moved into our current house on the sixth fairway 15 years ago and have yet to play the damn course.

I have rented a cart and followed the beer chick around though.
She asked me where my clubs were and I told her I wasnt playing I was just following her around.
You should of seen the look on her face.... :laughing0301:

Used to play pretty regular. For me it was just getting out of the house and enjoying some of the beautiful courses in Texas.
Moved into our current house on the sixth fairway 15 years ago and have yet to play the damn course.

I have rented a cart and followed the beer chick around though.
She asked me where my clubs were and I told her I wasnt playing I was just following her around.
You should of seen the look on her face.... :laughing0301:

Golf stalker!

There is plenty of money to be made on the course in way of bets. The thing I dislike about golf is after 5k in earning you haft to get a PGA card. I will win this much in first couple of months then I am just playing for a trophie. It is the hardest sport to learn in my opinion. Took me about two years to become a scratch bowler. After a life time of golf I come in under par maybe two three times a year. It is a big chalenge is the draw along with the nature the courses provide. They are pretty places to spend a day and also a healthy place to spend a day.
That's awesome! One of my goals in retirement is to get to a 0 handicap. I'm a 6 now and I have lots of promising rounds and then I fuck up and bogey from 50 yards off the green or something dumb like that. How much do you practice your short game? Is that the key, I'm starting to think it is.

That's awesome! One of my goals in retirement is to get to a 0 handicap. I'm a 6 now and I have lots of promising rounds and then I fuck up and bogey from 50 yards off the green or something dumb like that. How much do you practice your short game? Is that the key, I'm starting to think it is.
50 percent of practice on green. 25 percent chipping.25 percent getting to green. I will adjust this as time goes on. Later in the season I spend more time chipping and less time putting.. I only cahnge when I have a great deal of confidence in my putting game.I have been fishing last three years. I had some elbow problems left over from baseball that flared up. Elbows good to go again and I will hit the course again this year more than in last three years. Fishing has surplanted golf as my number one activity. I fish for qa living rihgt now. Another year it might feel like work and then golf will get most my free time again

50 percent of practice on green. 25 percent chipping.25 percent getting to green. I will adjust this as time goes on. Later in the season I spend more time chipping and less time putting.. I only cahnge when I have a great deal of confidence in my putting game.I have been fishing last three years. I had some elbow problems left over from baseball that flared up. Elbows good to go again and I will hit the course again this year more than in last three years. Fishing has surplanted golf as my number one activity. I fish for qa living rihgt now. Another year it might feel like work and then golf will get most my free time again
Yeah I was thinking I spend too much on the long game and not enough on the short game. I got an Epic Flash Driver a few weeks ago and it is a game changer for me. I've picked up 20 yards with no loss of accuracy but I'm not taking advantage of the increased distance cuz my 100 yards and in game is mediocre at best.

The very first drill I was taught is I take six balls and distribute them the first one 2 foot from hole next 2 foot from that one until ya get twelve foot away. I then try and sink all these puts and the drill ends when I get so many time in a row with no misses. I will usually run this drill early in the season until I get there three times in a row. I build up to ten times in a row later in the season. Best short game drill I have ever come across.

Forum List

Back