Glock

OK, gun owners, I'm curious, what does it take to own a handgun? What I mean by this question is, what is the process for owning a handgun?

My guess is, send your fingerprints to local law enforcement (OK, not a problem, my fingerprints are already in Washington, DC, so another copy can't hurt), law enforcement checks for a criminal record, you have to take a gun safety course.... etc. What else is there? Plus what does a good handgun cost?

I don't own a handgun or any gun, for that matter. However, my neighborhood is slowly becoming kind of, shall we say, Brooklyn-ized. More crack houses, shootings and so forth are in the news.

I'm not seriously considering buying one right now, but if the day comes that I need one, I'd like to be prepared.

It depends on where you live. If NY of LA- it would be easier to move.

In NC you buy a permit from the County Sherriff for 5 bucks then come back 3 days later while he checks you out. That lets you buy one, but you can’t carry it concealed loaded, not even in your car unless its locked in the trunk.

If you want to carry concealed you have to take a 16 hour course, then submit to a much more lengthy background check, which includes not just past criminal activity but also psych background, about a 3 month process. They also take your prints and such. A pleasant upside is the cops that I met during this process seemed to considered me as one of their own. It turns out they really appreciate citizens who legally carry.

onthefence, what is this lock thing?
S&W M&P9 9mm NO LOCK 17RD

Smith offers a safety lock that requires a key to physically lock the slide to the frame. You don't want it and it is mainly for countries like California and Canada, which have stricter gun laws.

Not a bad choice. Glock makes a fine handgun. I'm a shooter though. I put about 5000 rounds a month through the pistol that I carry and glock triggers are just to damn spongy for me. Also, beware of the front sights on a Glock. They are pinned instead of dovetailed. They have the tendancy to get caught on things and loosen up and possibly fall out.

Good luck and happy shooting with whatever you decide to purchase. :thup:

That's a nice choice. The full size frame and 9mm round will make the recoil very manageable, and increase your ability to put a hole exactly where you want one. You shuld look into hollow point rounds for personal protection, and there are several manufacturers of inexpensive full jacket for practice.

Not a bad choice. Glock makes a fine handgun. I'm a shooter though. I put about 5000 rounds a month through the pistol that I carry and glock triggers are just to damn spongy for me. Also, beware of the front sights on a Glock. They are pinned instead of dovetailed. They have the tendancy to get caught on things and loosen up and possibly fall out.

Good luck and happy shooting with whatever you decide to purchase. :thup:

5000 rounds! Man! That's a bunch! When I was in competitive shooting I only shot 4500 a month!

That's a nice choice. The full size frame and 9mm round will make the recoil very manageable, and increase your ability to put a hole exactly where you want one. You shuld look into hollow point rounds for personal protection, and there are several manufacturers of inexpensive full jacket for practice.

Now I am looking for the best price. The local shop is $540. +tax.
Glockworld on the net, is $459, $18 shipping no tax.. I know an FFL that will receive it without charge to me. :thup: I just need to checkout their rep.

Now, opinions on the trigger pull. Standard 5.5 lbs. Glockworld will install a 3.5lb trigger no charge except for the mod price. What do you guys with a glock think about the 5.5lb pull? Is it worth changing?

I'd buy from a local shop, as they can provide advice and service when you need it. They'd also likely be willing to negotiate price. My local shop replaced a sight in 2 minutes for free one time. They also showed me how to field strip the weapon, and gave advice on cleaning and lubrication which I found to be invaluable. My shop also has a range where you can try out several models for $5 each plus ammo, and I ended up taking the required course for concealed carry there as well.

You should also talk to them about the custom trigger option. I've heard several people say that Glock triggers could be improved, not for reliability, but for feel and hence, accuracy. My stock trigger tends to be a little "notchy", which is improved with careful lubrication, but not eliminated.

Happy shooting. :firing:

I've put around 2000 rounds through my Smith without a malfuntion. Glocks are the ame way in that sense. Comparatively, 9mm ammo is cheaper and you are right about a JHP. Gold dots or Silver tips are good.

We have Glocks for $496.47. Most other polymer handguns are right around the the 450-500 dollar range. The H&K is of course more at $769. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

What is your opinion on Kimber?

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/

I don't know much about guns in general, but my brother loves his.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/eclipse/eclipseprotarget.php

What is your opinion on Kimber?

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/

I don't know much about guns in general, but my brother loves his.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/eclipse/eclipseprotarget.php

I have a Kimber Pro Carry. It is possibly the best 1911 I have ever fired. They are expensive, but worth it. If you buy a Colt or Springfield and have it customized, it would cost you more than buying the Kimber. Excellent handgun. The only thing that even compares, in my opinion, is the Sig Sauer GSR.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/gsr_0401/

OK, gun owners, I'm curious, what does it take to own a handgun? What I mean by this question is, what is the process for owning a handgun?

My guess is, send your fingerprints to local law enforcement (OK, not a problem, my fingerprints are already in Washington, DC, so another copy can't hurt), law enforcement checks for a criminal record, you have to take a gun safety course.... etc. What else is there? Plus what does a good handgun cost?

I don't own a handgun or any gun, for that matter. However, my neighborhood is slowly becoming kind of, shall we say, Brooklyn-ized. More crack houses, shootings and so forth are in the news.

I'm not seriously considering buying one right now, but if the day comes that I need one, I'd like to be prepared.
I often wondered the same thing, but now I shouldn't bother. I live in Cali, no guns for me :/

There is nothing like the very familiar sound of a shotgun's slide that makes an intruder want to leave without firing a shot.

I often wondered the same thing, but now I shouldn't bother. I live in Cali, no guns for me :/

Uh, we're still allowed to own handguns in KKKalifornia, provided that the CA DOJ has approved them for sale: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

California Department of Justice said:
What is the process for purchasing a firearm in California?

All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

(PC Section 12071)

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php?PHPSESSID=1b4715d9d5e68e023aa1b10eaa142b30#7

You might also want to check out http://calguns.net/

Forum List

Back