Globalization Is About To Collapse???

jackflash

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2020
USA
Folks can be pretty resourceful even in times of tough economic turmoil. Watch the below vid & place your opinion.

The problem with collapses is that they take down the good with the bad.

Life isn't simplistic and binary; it's complicated and nuanced.

It really is a shame, how many people refuse to see that.
The interconnection of the various nations though trade --which has been going on for thousands of years-- is just fine. Sure, throughout history there've been various nut houses that have tried (in vain) to isolate themselves, but global unity has always prevailed.

It's reality and we either deal w/ it or we get dealed out.

The interconnection of the various nations though trade --which has been going on for thousands of years-- is just fine. Sure, throughout history there've been various nut houses that have tried (in vain) to isolate themselves, but global unity has always prevailed.

It's reality and we either deal w/ it or we get dealed out.

Maybe, maybe not. I suspect that the last couple years will teach businesses that they really need to reconsider having a global supply chain for all their manufacturing inputs. It doesn't mean that they won't sell on a global scale, but they might very well stop their manufacturing from being so reliant on single suppliers from a host of different nations.

Maybe, maybe not. I suspect that the last couple years will teach businesses that they really need to reconsider having a global supply chain for all their manufacturing inputs. It doesn't mean that they won't sell on a global scale, but they might very well stop their manufacturing from being so reliant on single suppliers from a host of different nations.
There may be a problem w/ your focus on manufacturing.

Sure it's all nice & stuff, but it reminds me of how a century ago everyone was focused on agriculture/farming --and the falling farm employment. What happened then is a guy could work a week in a factory & build a tractor which would then go to the farm and crop production would soar ten-fold. Now a guy can work in the services and design a new factory layout and the manufacturer's output will soar ten-fold.

Right now U.S. manufacturing output is soaring, it's double what it was 30 years ago, even while U.S. manufacturing employment's been falling. Just like farming. A hundred hears ago half the U.S. population worked on the farm, now it's about a percent or two but we produce far more food for the world.

There may be a problem w/ your focus on manufacturing.

Sure it's all nice & stuff, but it reminds me of how a century ago everyone was focused on agriculture/farming --and the falling farm employment. What happened then is a guy could work a week in a factory & build a tractor which would then go to the farm and crop production would soar ten-fold. Now a guy can work in the services and design a new factory layout and the manufacturer's output will soar ten-fold.

Right now U.S. manufacturing output is soaring, it's double what it was 30 years ago, even while U.S. manufacturing employment's been falling. Just like farming. A hundred hears ago half the U.S. population worked on the farm, now it's about a percent or two but we produce far more food for the world.

Your made in the US tractor is really assembled in the US from a lot of foreign manufactured parts, and your farmer is fertilizing with chemicals/materials imported from overseas that are simply mixed together in the US. Also, a hundred years ago, supermarkets weren't really a thing for most of America. They didn't really take off until after WWII when freeze-drying became scalable.

My views :
That depends. Very much on consumer behaviors. But I don't think free trade will be dead. America will ban all imports from other countries? Crazy enough? lol. Highly unlikely. :)

Facts :
1) Morris Chang reportedly made the comments at Tuesday's ceremony for TSMC's advanced chip manufacturing site in Arizona, where the company plans to spend roughly $40 billion to open a 4nm fab in 2024 and a more sophisticated 3nm plant in 2026. The company said the Arizona fab plan represents "one of the largest foreign direct investments in the history of the United States."

"Twenty-seven years have passed and [the semiconductor industry] witnessed a big change in the world, a big geopolitical situation change in the world. Globalization is almost dead and free trade is almost dead. A lot of people still wish they would come back, but I don't think they will be back," said Chang, according to Japanese newspaper Nikkei and other news reports.

2) Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is the largest chip manufacturer, providing 54 percent of the world's chips. Silicon chips are the brains behind nearly every type of modern computing device we now rely on to run our everyday lives. Thanks to the chip manufacturers, they are used in literally thousands of products.

Source:
1) Globalization Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster – Definition of GLOBALIZATION
2) Globalization 'almost dead,' TSMC founder says amid US moves • The Register – Globalization 'almost dead,' TSMC founder says amid US moves/
3) The 10 Largest Chip Manufacturers in the World and What They Do - History-Computer – The 10 Largest Chip Manufacturers in the World and What They Do

Your made in the US tractor is really assembled in the US from a lot of foreign manufactured parts...
LOL!!! You forgot to meantion that the U.S. workers were eating chocolate that was imported to Hersheys Pensylvania and drinking coffee imported to Starbucks. Don't get me started on imported bananas at the supermarket...

Forum List

Back