Gingrich closer to Presidential Run

Bullypulpit said:
Newt is no different from any of the rest of the authoritarians dressed in conservative clothing that now wield , or seek to wield, power in the GOP. He, no more represents "true conservatives" than Charles Manson represents true Christians.

Oh yes heaven forbid, because what this country really needs is more of Howard Dean and Algore :teeth:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Bullypulpit said:
Unfortunately, Newty is as amoral, greedy and power hungry as his contemporary, Tom DeLay. He, and his ilk, are the last thing this country needs.

Hmm...Gingrich-DeLay or DeLay-Gingrich.....either one a blockbuster! :)

5stringJeff said:
Newt's actions while in the House show him to be a conservative in the true sense of the word, your description notwithstanding.

The description of conservatism I use is not mine. It is that of the conservative movements founders and intellectual greats...James Burnham, Barry Goldwater, William F. Buckley, George Will...None of whom would, or do, recognize what now passes for conservatism.

Bullypulpit said:
The description of conservatism I use is not mine, it is that of the conservative movements founders and intellectual greats...James Burnham, Barry Goldwater, William F. Buckley, George Will...None on who would, or do, recognize what now passes for conservatism.

Barry Goldwater, George Will....Have you been drinking? I can't believe you of all people appreciate the brilliance of Barry Goldwater....I get it your punking us right??? ;)

Bonnie said:
Barry Goldwater, George Will....Have you been drinking? I can't believe you of all people appreciate the brilliance of Barry Goldwater....I get it your punking us right??? ;)

No, I'm not. The indivisuals I named, and many others, were and are principled in their conservatism...They advocate(d) for responsible government...They were, and are, civil in their discourse even in disagreeing with their opponents.

They are (were) completely unlike the current crop so-called conservatives who are spending tax-payer dollars like drunken sailors on liberty ( <i>I should know, I was once a drunken sailor</i>), have presided over the growth and intrusiveness of government...Who prefer secrecy and opacity to hide their actions rather than open government where their actions can be subjected to scrutiny...Who mercilessly attack their oponents rather than engage in substantive debate to bring about real, meaningful change.

Real conservatives don't act like petty tyrants.

Newt running would be a Dem's wet dream. He would get the same reaction from Dems that Hillary would get from conservatives...Dems deliriously clapping their hands at their good fortune.

Bullypulpit said:
No, I'm not. The indivisuals I named, and many others, were and are principled in their conservatism...They advocate(d) for responsible government...They were, and are, civil in their discourse even in disagreeing with their opponents.

They are (were) completely unlike the current crop so-called conservatives who are spending tax-payer dollars like drunken sailors on liberty ( <i>I should know, I was once a drunken sailor</i>), have presided over the growth and intrusiveness of government...Who prefer secrecy and opacity to hide their actions rather than open government where their actions can be subjected to scrutiny...Who mercilessly attack their oponents rather than engage in substantive debate to bring about real, meaningful change.

Real conservatives don't act like petty tyrants.

As a true Consertvative, I totally agree with you. Most Republicans that are visible today do not have the traditions of being advocates for small government, personal responsibility, and less regulation in the economy that the original Conservatives of our time, such as Goldwater and Buckley, did.

I however still kind of like Newt. There are good Republicans out there, we just have to find them. Newt should be close enough for us to support. Dick Cheney used to be that way. Read Newt's Winning the Future. It's pretty good.

Forum List

Back