Gina Carano fired from Disneys Mandalorian & Lucasfilm

Bullshit. My topic. Not what I said. Say it again and see what happens. I will add every mod on right now and report you. Do it. Lie one more time and see what happens.

Buddy, you are losing your stuff.

Did you have anything to say about Poor Gina... I think this was the topic of this thread.
I said she is a victim of cancel culture and I stand by it. She refused to be a victim and got a new gig quickly. Lie again about the topic. Do it.

I said she is a victim of cancel culture and I stand by it. She refused to be a victim and got a new gig quickly. Lie again about the topic. Do it.

Except she wasn't a victim of cancel culture.

She was a victim of "Saying stupid shit and getting fired by her employer".

It’s testament to the sheer offensiveness of her social media activity – and, possibly, the cumulative stigma of several different controversies – that Lucasfilm finally saw fit to draw the line. The insensitivity of likening her own situation (being criticised online for spreading potentially harmful disinformation) to the Holocaust was perhaps exacerbated by the US far-right’s relationship with antisemitism and neo-Nazi ideology. Carano’s implicit support of Donald Trump calls to mind the former president’s own history of antisemitism, and his refusal to disalign himself with white supremacist supporters; it seems to me there is little reason to give her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the antisemitic implications of her post.

It seems amusingly misguided for the people crying “cancel culture” to turn their anger onto Disney Plus, as if the streaming service were some kind of ultra-progressive force for left-wing social justice. Star Wars itself has a chequered history when it comes to racism and antisemitic tropes. The character of Watto, the hook-nosed merchant alien from The Phantom Menace, seems almost plucked from a Nazi propaganda playbook. Other aliens (the Neimoidian trade federation; Jar Jar Binks) have also faced accusations of racism and stereotyping.

Except she wasn't a victim of cancel culture.

She was a victim of "Saying stupid shit and getting fired by her employer".

It’s testament to the sheer offensiveness of her social media activity – and, possibly, the cumulative stigma of several different controversies – that Lucasfilm finally saw fit to draw the line. The insensitivity of likening her own situation (being criticised online for spreading potentially harmful disinformation) to the Holocaust was perhaps exacerbated by the US far-right’s relationship with antisemitism and neo-Nazi ideology. Carano’s implicit support of Donald Trump calls to mind the former president’s own history of antisemitism, and his refusal to disalign himself with white supremacist supporters; it seems to me there is little reason to give her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the antisemitic implications of her post.

It seems amusingly misguided for the people crying “cancel culture” to turn their anger onto Disney Plus, as if the streaming service were some kind of ultra-progressive force for left-wing social justice. Star Wars itself has a chequered history when it comes to racism and antisemitic tropes. The character of Watto, the hook-nosed merchant alien from The Phantom Menace, seems almost plucked from a Nazi propaganda playbook. Other aliens (the Neimoidian trade federation; Jar Jar Binks) have also faced accusations of racism and stereotyping.
If not for people like you (easily offended) she doesn't get removed.

Like India and Pakitan.
Shit4Brains JoeB doesn't want to admit that post WW-II saw lots of people being forcibly moved around.
It's only the JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS who are evil.

Um, yeah, that was wrong, too. Or at least some of it was wrong. Like for instance, all the Germans who had to move west after Prussia and Silesia were given to Poland, can't get worked up about that.

I don't even have a big problem with the Jews of Europe getting compensation for their suffering in WWII. But giving them the land of a neutral third party because an imaginary fairy in the sky promised it to them... that's kind of silly.

Like India and Pakitan.
Shit4Brains JoeB doesn't want to admit that post WW-II saw lots of people being forcibly moved around.
It's only the JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS who are evil.

Um, yeah, that was wrong, too. Or at least some of it was wrong. Like for instance, all the Germans who had to move west after Prussia and Silesia were given to Poland, can't get worked up about that.

I don't even have a big problem with the Jews of Europe getting compensation for their suffering in WWII. But giving them the land of a neutral third party because an imaginary fairy in the sky promised it to them... that's kind of silly.
There is no "right and wrong" there are winners and losers. I refuse to be a loser in this culture war.

I personally could care less if she got removed or not. I even didn't mind her character. But man, know who you are working for. Disney has a long history of this kind of thing. It's why you can't see Song of the South, they have warning labels on their own cartoons, and they fired Rosanne and Bill Maher (among others) for saying controversial stuff. They even took Mark Hamill into a back room and straightened him out when he went around disagreeing with how they handled his character in the Last Jedi.

I personally could care less if she got removed or not. I even didn't mind her character. But man, know who you are working for. Disney has a long history of this kind of thing. It's why you can't see Song of the South, they have warning labels on their own cartoons, and they fired Rosanne and Bill Maher (among others) for saying controversial stuff. They even took Mark Hamill into a back room and straightened him out when he went around disagreeing with how they handled his character in the Last Jedi.
You care enough to opine here. If you don't care then why so many posts?

There is no "right and wrong" there are winners and losers. I refuse to be a loser in this culture war.

You can refuse all you like... but sometimes you have to pick the hill you die on.

Now, funny thing, you could find some agreement with people that we actually need workplace protections for what people say on social media. I frankly think an employer shouldn't be able to fire you unless you specifically said something bad about the company.

I recently had a resume client, and she had a link to her twitter on her LinkedIn... Where she went into a rant about a job she didn't get three years ago. I pointed out to her why that would be a real impediment to her getting a job. It wasn't because she was a bad person, she just had a bad day three years ago.

Carano, on the other hand, said one dumb thing after another. A sensible person would have known when to back off.

The right wing was perfectly fine with At-Will employment. This is a case of at-will employment. Trust me, the angry fans don't have as much influence with Disney as you think... or they wouldn't keep churning out the crap they churn out.

Irrelevant. It's already been pointed out that Disney had the legal right to fire her so quit belaboring that point.

Then why are we discussing it?

We're discussing what I said we're discussing when I pointed out that Disney had a legal right to fire her. Pay attention.

Didn't you lose a job once that resulted in your hatred of rich people and corporations? When it happened to you, you didn't sound like it was no big deal. Now you blithely wish for others to lose their jobs and casually say they can get another job as if it wasn't infuriating and heart wrenching when it happened to your happy ass.

Funny thing happened, I got another job. Yes, I don't think big corporations should have control of our health care after spending a year fighting with my employer and Cigna to get treatment for a busted knee. That's a bit more serious than, "I said stupid shit on twitter the whole country got angry about, and they didn't bring me back to play a minor character."

Blah blah blah It still infuriated you. And now you wish the same on others you disagree with.

Are you aware of the fact that thousands have died of accidents and exposure trying to cross the border illegally? Are you aware of the fact that many of those dead are children?

not sure how that makes it okay for Trump to throw them in cages, or grab children from their parents and then lose them.

When you say "cages", do you mean the fenced detention areas that were constructed for the very purpose they're being used for?

You're too fucking stupid to grasp and explain exactly what racism is yet you know conservatives are. What a moron.

Naw, I see racist things said here by Conservatives every day, and you don't spend nearly as much time haranging them as you do me. It's why I don't bother trying to even correct the racists anymore.

Irrelevant. A typical JoeB dodge.

What racists say here is immaterial to this discussion. I asked you to tell me what Carano said that was racist or homophobic and you refused to do so. But what you WILL do is try to divert attention to other conservatives and the alleged racist things they said (which you are also probably unable to intelligently parse).

You refuse to say what was racist about Carano's comments because you know you can't do so without looking like an idiot. In fact, I would go as far as to say that you actually know it was not racist or antisemitic. All you're doing is repeating the pat phrases and strictures vomited out by other social justice moral hypocrites. You spew them out at the proper times verbatim ("CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!!") and you have no understanding of the complexities and ramifications of the issue as a whole.

You're as ignorant as any bigoted redneck I've ever known.

It still infuriated you. And now you wish the same on others you disagree with.

Here's the thing. I worked for them for six years, long hours, and paid into an insurance policy to make sure I got top notch health coverage. yes, I didn't like being dicked around after I busted up my knee, but at least it got me realizing that I was supporting the wrong side....

What racists say here is immaterial to this discussion. I asked you to tell me what Carano said that was racist or homophobic and you refused to do so.

Because you'll do what you always do, try to gaslight me into thinking it wasn't really racist or homophobic. Just like you did whenever I pointed out Trump's ample racism. So I'm not playing. You want to repost everything she said and then explain to me how it wasn't really racist, have at it.

Forum List

Back