Gibson Guitar uses Twitter to tap into Tea Party anger over federal overreach

Don't cross Obama this could happen to any company...

Gibson Guitar, the maker of the iconic Les Paul electric guitar, is appealing to anti-government Tea Party anger as it fights a government investigation into the wood it uses.

The company has used Twitter and Facebook to argue the government overreached when federal agents raided Gibson factories in Tennessee last week and seized several pallets of wood, electronic files and guitars.

According to a government affidavit, Fish and Wildlife Service agents were investigating whether wood used in Gibson guitars was illegally imported from India.

Although the guitar company says it cooperated with agents, it has turned to new media to complain of bullying by the federal government.

Gibson's official Twitter account uses the hashtag "ThisWillNotStand" for posts about the raids, and on its Facebook page, the company promised, "We are fighting this tooth and nail."

“We believe the arrogance of federal power is impacting me personally, our company personally and the employees here in Tennessee, and it’s just plain wrong,” said Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz at a press conference last week.

The company accused the Justice Department of "bullying" and "harassment." Juszkiewicz said the raids temporarily shut down the factories, costing the company money.

In a statement, the company insisted it was innocent and vowed to "fight to protect its rights."

Conservative websites quickly picked up the story, suggesting the company's social-media campaign was effective.

"Whatever the specious merits of the government’s investigation, the broader lesson is that federal regulatory authority is so expansive and vague, it enables corrupt bureaucrats to intimidate and punish nearly any honest business that falls under Washington’s crosshairs," wrote a blogger on the conservative website RedState on Monday.

Other conservative websites have suggested a nefarious political motivation behind the raid, pointing to the fact that the Gibson CEO donated to Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee in 2007. According to campaign finance data on Open Secrets, he also donated to Rep. Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.) in March.

Gibson Guitar uses Twitter to tap into Tea Party anger over federal overreach - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

GOOD--I am glad they're letting Tea Party members now about this. What it boils down to is the EXTREME over-regulation that has been imposed on business in this country under the Obama administration.

Regulatory Agencies Boom Under Obama Administration

This administration has actually written new goat herder legislation--that's how bad it's become.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=45722

Last edited:
One question I haven't seen answered in this thread: was the wood illegal or not?

No, it was not illegal. The Indian government wants only Indians to process their woods, a protectionist stance that may or may not be actual law in India. Whether it is or is not, the United States DOJ has no fucking business attempting to enforce Indian law.

Thanks for the info, but the last sentence is only a guess on your part.

Are you totally versed in US-Indian treaties, trade agreements, and legal reciprocity?

If you read the various articles posted about the raid you will see that India has not filed any sort of complaint, that this is not part of any treaty agreement, trade agreement, and that the only legal reciprocity that applies would be if India was making a fuss about it.

By the way, if India is actually making a fuss, and the government is just not saying anything, shouldn't they go after Martin guitars also?

One question I haven't seen answered in this thread: was the wood illegal or not?

No, it was not illegal. The Indian government wants only Indians to process their woods, a protectionist stance that may or may not be actual law in India. Whether it is or is not, the United States DOJ has no fucking business attempting to enforce Indian law.

:clap2:

Thats exactly what they attempting to do, and it is costing Gibson royally to defend themselves from the long arm of the Federal Gov't.

We certainly have bigger fish to fry right now.... even IF the wood was illegal.

Well, that's true. Reminds me of the Bushies going after Tommy Chong for selling pipes, when they should have been out looking for Osama.

Are you totally versed in US-Indian treaties, trade agreements, and legal reciprocity?

If you read the various articles posted about the raid you will see that India has not filed any sort of complaint, that this is not part of any treaty agreement, trade agreement, and that the only legal reciprocity that applies would be if India was making a fuss about it.

By the way, if India is actually making a fuss, and the government is just not saying anything, shouldn't they go after Martin guitars also?
They should go after Washburn and Peavey - they're crap!

Well, that's true. Reminds me of the Bushies going after Tommy Chong for selling pipes, when they should have been out looking for Osama.

That pissed me off too.

Free Tommy Chong!!!!

I saw him and Cheech a few years ago and they are still as funny as ever.

That pissed me off too.

Free Tommy Chong!!!!

I saw him and Cheech a few years ago and they are still as funny as ever.
His daughter, Rae Dawn, was quite the hottie:

rae-dawn-chong-110404.jpg

raedawnchong2.jpg

RaeDawnChong1.jpg

11265111_gal.jpg

Are you familiar with the idea of equal protection under the law?

Why were other guitar manufacturers not raided?

I thought you Merkins had sorted those pesky Indians out more than a century ago!

Less a guess and more an opinion on my part...but I get your point. What I do know to be true is that both raids (2009 and 2011) were undertaken WITHOUT the knowledge or consent of either the Madagascar or Indian governments. Whatever trade agreements or reciprocity is in place should not be in my opinion and even if the DOJ has a legal leg to stand on, THIS is what they choose to focus on? My goodness, that's ridiculous.

Why were other pipe manufacturers not raided?

Bush/Ashcroft violated equal protection, if we switch our brains to 'low' for your retarded post.

Bush/Ashcroft violated equal protection, if we switch our brains to 'low' for your retarded post.

Ummm...... it was guitars we were talking about right? :poke:

Yeah, but then we talked about Tommy Chong getting busted for selling pipes. Using daveman's retarded logic, if the Bushies didn't go out and raid every single pipe seller in the country, it's a violation of equal protection laws.

But daveman's a moron, so . . .

Yeah, but then we talked about Tommy Chong getting busted for selling pipes. Using daveman's retarded logic, if the Bushies didn't go out and raid every single pipe seller in the country, it's a violation of equal protection laws.

But daveman's a moron, so . . .

I know... I just wanted to poke at ya. :lol:

The equal protection thing would nly apply if the laws Tommy was breaking was a Federal law. Tommy, I think broke some obscure local thing somowhere.... as long as they leave my "pipe" alone, Im happy. :420:

So that makes it okay for Obama to selectively apply the law.

Oh, wait, I forgot: Obama can do no wrong.

Right?

Forum List

Back