NASA asteroid WARNING: Giant ONE MILE wide asteroid will skim the Earth before Christmas

This is it, the end...

It was good knowing everyone.

NASA asteroid WARNING: Giant ONE MILE wide asteroid will skim the Earth before Christmas

A MONSTER asteroid measuring more than one mile across will fly by the planet on a so-called Earth Close Approach, space agency NASA has revealed.

It's path is over 7 lunar distances away from earth at it's closest approach.

NEO Earth Close Approaches

To me "skimming" involves at least interacting with the outer part of out atmosphere.

Yeah the know it all's said the one that smashed into them a little over a year ago said the same thing.. it will never hit earth lmfao. ( referring to the one that exploded in Russia a few years ago).

Was that one's orbit quantified before it hit?

They have been observing this one since 2003.

This is it, the end...

A MONSTER asteroid measuring more than one mile across will fly by the planet on a so-called Earth Close Approach, space agency NASA has revealed.

To me "skimming" involves at least interacting with the outer part of out atmosphere.

Yeah the know it all's said the one that smashed into them a little over a year ago said the same thing.. it will never hit earth lmfao. ( referring to the one that exploded in Russia a few years ago).

lol Oh I have no clue, but it was a biggie meaning the impact of it. Remember it was about what 3 yrs ago or so maybe longer.

This is it, the end...

OMG!!! it was waaay longer than three years ago man times really fly . This is the one I was referring to I did not realize how long, long ago it was my gawd!! lol

Meteorite explodes over Russia, more than 1,000 injured | Reuters

This is it, the end...

OMG!!! it was waaay longer than three years ago man times really fly . This is the one I was referring to I did not realize how long, long ago it was my gawd!! lol

Meteorite explodes over Russia, more than 1,000 injured | Reuters

That was only the size of a Volkswagen, maybe a small house.

:ack-1: Oh, gads!!!! It will come within 1.7 Million Miles!!! What will we do!?!?!
Don’t run for the hills!!!

Or as I said, around 7 lunar distances.

Not really that close, but close enough
That comes out to about 3.5 million miles from a globe only 25,000 miles in diameter. That's pretty damn far away

Still is a "close approach" according to the standards NASA uses.

Still not a "skim"

and an impact by a 1 mile wide rock isn't just going to be a light show.

I use this website for impact calculations.

Impact: Earth!

Still not a "skim"

Yep. But a mile wide asteroid won't be a mile wide on impact, but will more likely be like a nuclear bomb exploding over our heads. Mecca? Just kidding. Or not.

Still not a "skim"

Yep. But a mile wide asteroid won't be a mile wide on impact, but will more likely be like a nuclear bomb exploding over our heads. Mecca? Just kidding. Or not.

Using the calculator a mile wide asteroid leaves a crater 14 miles wide and 2 miles deep.

At 100 miles away you will be burned to a crisp by the fireball's thermal radiation, then blasted to smithereens be by the air blast.

Forum List

Back