Ghost ship with a human cargo: The worrying new trend used by traffickers to exploit people desperat

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I hope we all realize how lucky we are that we don't have to go through something like this.

Ghost ship with a human cargo: The worrying new trend used by traffickers to exploit people desperate to flee the Middle East

Ezadeen.jpg

With not a crewman in sight, another vessel crammed with refugees has been found drifting in the Mediterranean. What can the world do to stop the callous but efficient new strategy being used by the people traffickers?

MICHAEL DAY
plus.png

Friday 02 January 2015

facebook.png

twitter.png

googleplus.png

linkedin.png

The Italian Coast Guard was last night towing the second unmanned ship containing hundreds of migrants to appear off its coast this week into port.

The so-called “ghost ships” are a worrying new trend as human traffickers exploit desperate refugees bidding for a new life in Europe.

The Lebanese vessel Ezadeen, which was discovered with about 450 passengers on board, is registered as a livestock vessel. But even cattle are not left to cross dangerous high seas in mid-winter with no crew and the vessel on autopilot.

Continue reading at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ghost-ship-with-a-human-cargo-the

I heard that on the news - absolutely unbelievable.

I doubt anyone would agree with me but imo, when refugees go through so much to escape they should be allowed to stay where they land or be taken in somewhere. They're escaping unliveable situations and the cost is so very high every step of the way.

I doubt anyone would agree with me but imo, when refugees go through so much to escape they should be allowed to stay where they land or be taken in somewhere. They're escaping unliveable situations and the cost is so very high every step of the way.
I can almost agree with you...regretfully, many of those escaping are escaping because they are criminals...no matter what culture they live in.

The unrest in the ME is being caused primarily by the currently oil rich getting out of oil and into cash before Iraq can come fully online. At 1/5 of world recoverable crude being the current guesstimate for Iraq and drilling technology getting better plus alternative energies oil has no future. Hitting the exits does have collateral damage.

It's like the world is upside down now with so many people attempting to escape their home countries to places where they can find safety and economic security. It's difficult to say what should be done except to put whomever is fortunate to escape alive in some kind of camp (like the displaced persons camps after World War II). to eventually be re-settled to another country. However, how many countries would be willing to take in these people and how many countries would even be financially able to take them in. The countries where so many refugees from the SyrianIraq conflict have run to are being overwhelmed with these people so that the citizens of these countries are getting very angry and upset.

It's like the world is upside down now with so many people attempting to escape their home countries to places where they can find safety and economic security. It's difficult to say what should be done except to put whomever is fortunate to escape alive in some kind of camp (like the displaced persons camps after World War II). to eventually be re-settled to another country. However, how many countries would be willing to take in these people and how many countries would even be financially able to take them in. The countries where so many refugees from the SyrianIraq conflict have run to are being overwhelmed with these people so that the citizens of these countries are getting very angry and upset.

It's difficult because the influx of refugees is coinciding with an increase in zenophobia and anti-immigrant nativism in a lot of countries. From what I heard the refugees come from war torn places in Africa, ME, Asia and Spain, Italy and Greece are major destinations.

Abandoned Ship Carrying Hundreds Of Syrian Migrants Towed To Italy The Two-Way NPR

As NPR's Joanna Kakissis reports, officials estimate that in 2014, more than 30,000 illegal migrants from the Middle East and Southwest Asia have arrived in Greece alone. Amnesty International estimates that 2,500 have died this year trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees says another 160,000 seaborne migrants arrived in Italy in 2014 until November.

UNHCR spokesman William Spindler told the BBC that the agency "is aware of at least four incidents in the last two months where people smugglers cram hundreds of migrants and refugees in big cargo boats and then send them uncrewed in the direction of Italy."

There's always been strife, conflict, famine and refugees. I don't know if this is a big increase, or if traffickers have become more brutal or if we just hear about it more?

I can almost agree with you...regretfully, many of those escaping are escaping because they are criminals...no matter what culture they live in.

Some, I agree. But many? I'm not sure. The refugees escaping on that ship included many women and children, Syrians, Somali's fleeing Al Shabab...

It's difficult because the influx of refugees is coinciding with an increase in zenophobia and anti-immigrant nativism in a lot of countries. From what I heard the refugees come from war torn places in Africa, ME, Asia and Spain, Italy and Greece are major destinations.

Abandoned Ship Carrying Hundreds Of Syrian Migrants Towed To Italy The Two-Way NPR

As NPR's Joanna Kakissis reports, officials estimate that in 2014, more than 30,000 illegal migrants from the Middle East and Southwest Asia have arrived in Greece alone. Amnesty International estimates that 2,500 have died this year trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees says another 160,000 seaborne migrants arrived in Italy in 2014 until November.

UNHCR spokesman William Spindler told the BBC that the agency "is aware of at least four incidents in the last two months where people smugglers cram hundreds of migrants and refugees in big cargo boats and then send them uncrewed in the direction of Italy."

There's always been strife, conflict, famine and refugees. I don't know if this is a big increase, or if traffickers have become more brutal or if we just hear about it more?

Granted that there has always been something going on which cause people to leave their home countries, but I think in the past few years we have seen more and more than ever seen before. America, Canada and Western Europe had previously taken in many people who needed shelter, but I think the sheer number of people coming in or waiting to come in has made citizens of the different countries wary. As for smugglers, they always seem to be around. I can remember some smugglers leaving some Chinese people on a beach here in Southern California, and of course there are the the smugglers called coyotes (please don't take offense here) who charge Hispanics for leading them to America, only to leave them stranded in the desert where many have died.

Granted that there has always been something going on which cause people to leave their home countries, but I think in the past few years we have seen more and more than ever seen before. America, Canada and Western Europe had previously taken in many people who needed shelter, but I think the sheer number of people coming in or waiting to come in has made citizens of the different countries wary. As for smugglers, they always seem to be around. I can remember some smugglers leaving some Chinese people on a beach here in Southern California, and of course there are the the smugglers called coyotes (please don't take offense here) who charge Hispanics for leading them to America, only to leave them stranded in the desert where many have died.

Ya, I've heard a lot about coyotes and the often tragic consequences of their human trafficking. I guess some things never change - as long as there are people desperate there will be unscrupulous people trafficking in their misery who don't much care what happens as long as they get their money. It's extremely difficult to catch these smugglers as well because even tracking down the origins and ownership of the boats is problematic much less the crews.

There is also the problem that the US, Canada and Australia can brain drain the rest of the world and send emerging markets into a down turn.

Forum List

Back