Getting It

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Links, yeah. Actually, you cannot understand this without checking out the linds.

http://www.mudvillegazette.com/milblogs/2006/10/25/#006816

Re: The Hundred Year War
[Greyhawk]

Funny you should mention that...

I recently received an email from CENTCOM Public Affairs* pointing me to a new product they're making available via their web site. It's called "Nature of the Enemy", and it presents information gained from open-source material available on the web.

Here's the latest issue (pdf). Take a look at it before you read the rest of this post.
Continue reading "Re: The Hundred Year War "

Well, that didn't take long, did it? And that's precisely what's wrong with this effort. When I first saw it I assumed I was looking at a cover page for a document that was going to provide me some good information, that they (as with any grocery store checkout lane magazine cover) were teasing me with little blurbs about the intriguing content within.

But surprise - in this case, that's all she wrote. I can only speculate why this is so. Takes to long to staff it through 10 layers of bureaucracy? Started as a full story but was edited down to nothing by those successive layers? Meant to post a 10 page document but only posted the cover?

Or maybe this product is designed for people who get all their news from those same checkout line magazine covers. Perhaps this is the DoD's concept of the amount of information the average American can digest. (That may be true - but the average American isn't online looking for information like this, and the above-Average Americans who are want something with some substance.)

This, my friends, is another of the many reasons why we're losing the information war. One of the most ironic aspects of it is that this is the same DoD that was recently chastised for attempting to plant stories in the Iraqi media to influence public opinion.

I sure hope we're not spending big taxpayer bucks on this crap.

(*Like many bloggers I get unsolicited email from DoD components, both political parties, several political action groups, and other organizations savvy enough to court the blogosphere. Since I'm more interested in finding and presenting data that isn't available on 500 other sites I generally don't find much useful in these mass mailings - but I do look.)
All done!

Posted at 0052Z | Comments (0)

Forum List

Back