George Takei: Clarence Thomas Is A 'Clown In Blackface'

There were even more women waiting to testify against Thomas--

Does it not seem ODD to anyone that every single time we have a black conservative man brought into the lime-lite, the same stereotypical and racist allegations of "foolin round with da women" come out? They've done it on Thomas, JC Watts, Herman Cain... every conservative black man. No doubt Ben Carson will be up next.
If he had an illicit affair, then yes. As should be. However, I do believe Carson to be a faithful man.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

You mean as faithful as BJ Clinton?

Faithful as BJ CLinton?

If I'd been as faithful as BJ, my wife would have shot me before the honeymoon was over.

George Takei
2 hrs · Edited ·

I owe an apology. On the eve of this Independence Day, I have a renewed sense of what this country stands for, and how I personally could help achieve it. The promise of equality and freedom is one that all of us have to work for, at all times. I know this as a survivor of the Japanese American internment, which each day drives me only to strive harder to help fulfill that promise for future generations.

I recently was asked by a reporter about Justice Clarence Thomas’s dissent in the marriage equality cases, in which he wrote words that really got under my skin, by suggesting that the government cannot take away human dignity through slavery, or though internment. In my mind that suggested that this meant he felt the government therefore shouldn’t be held accountable, or should do nothing in the face of gross violations of dignity. When asked by a reporter about the opinion, I was still seething, and I referred to him as a “clown in blackface” to suggest that he had abdicated and abandoned his heritage. This was not intended to be racist, but rather to evoke a history of racism in the theatrical arts. While I continue to vehemently disagree with Justice Thomas, the words I chose, said in the heat of anger, were not carefully considered.

I am reminded, especially on this July 4th holiday, that though we have the freedom to speak our minds, we must use that freedom judiciously. Each of us, as humans, have hot-button topics that can set-us off, and Justice Thomas had hit mine, that is clear. But my choice of words was regrettable, not because I do not believe Justice Thomas is deeply wrong, but because they were ad hominem and uncivil, and for that I am sorry.

I often ask fans to keep the level of discourse on this page and in comments high, and to remember that we all love this country and for what it stands for, even if we often disagree passionately about how to achieve those goals. I did not live up to my own high standards in this instance.

I hope all of you have a wonderful, safe and joyously free July 4t, the first where all married couples in the U.S. can enjoy the full liberties of matrimony equally. It is truly a blessing to be an American today.

He was wrong and he admitted it. That takes class.

n-CLARENCE-THOMAS-GEORGE-TAKEI-large300.jpg

George Takei has come under fire this week for calling Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas a “clown in blackface” over the judge's stance on marriage equality. However, the “Star Trek” actor insists that his comment was not racially motivated.

During an interview with Fox 10 Phoenix, Takei, who is gay, discussed the Supreme Court’s recent landmark ruling to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide. Takei said he was “angry” at Thomas, who dissented to the decision, for his position on the issue.

“He is a clown in blackface sitting on the Supreme Court,” said Takei. “He gets me that angry. He doesn’t belong there.”

More: George Takei Calls Justice Clarence Thomas A Clown In Blackface Over Marriage Equality Dissent

Thomas is a disgrace. Anita Hill tried to warn us.

Screw you redskin.

You misspelled "thinskin" as in Rightwing thinskins.

George Takei has come under fire this week for calling Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas a “clown in blackface” over the judge's stance on marriage equality. However, the “Star Trek” actor insists that his comment was not racially motivated.

During an interview with Fox 10 Phoenix, Takei, who is gay, discussed the Supreme Court’s recent landmark ruling to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide. Takei said he was “angry” at Thomas, who dissented to the decision, for his position on the issue.

“He is a clown in blackface sitting on the Supreme Court,” said Takei. “He gets me that angry. He doesn’t belong there.”

More: George Takei Calls Justice Clarence Thomas A Clown In Blackface Over Marriage Equality Dissent

Screw you redskin.

You misspelled "thinskin" as in Rightwing thinskins.

Yet another irony impaired liberal.

Clarence "Pubic Hair" Thomas is really creepy. So is his pale white wife.
Anita Hill was a lying sack of shit, and everyone knows that. Never has the American public seen such a blatant attempt by the left to make up a completely fabricated story in order to get their way.

Anita Hill was a lying sack of shit, and everyone knows that. Never has the American public seen such a blatant attempt by the left to make up a completely fabricated story in order to get their way.

By "everyone" - I assume you mean NaziCons.

You may disagree with Thomas's views but to accuse him of wearing "blackface" is ridiculous. I've got news for Takei...what Thomas has on his face doesn't wash off. He's a black man.

What a piece of shit.

George Takei
2 hrs · Edited ·

I owe an apology. On the eve of this Independence Day, I have a renewed sense of what this country stands for, and how I personally could help achieve it. The promise of equality and freedom is one that all of us have to work for, at all times. I know this as a survivor of the Japanese American internment, which each day drives me only to strive harder to help fulfill that promise for future generations.

I recently was asked by a reporter about Justice Clarence Thomas’s dissent in the marriage equality cases, in which he wrote words that really got under my skin, by suggesting that the government cannot take away human dignity through slavery, or though internment. In my mind that suggested that this meant he felt the government therefore shouldn’t be held accountable, or should do nothing in the face of gross violations of dignity. When asked by a reporter about the opinion, I was still seething, and I referred to him as a “clown in blackface” to suggest that he had abdicated and abandoned his heritage. This was not intended to be racist, but rather to evoke a history of racism in the theatrical arts. While I continue to vehemently disagree with Justice Thomas, the words I chose, said in the heat of anger, were not carefully considered.

I am reminded, especially on this July 4th holiday, that though we have the freedom to speak our minds, we must use that freedom judiciously. Each of us, as humans, have hot-button topics that can set-us off, and Justice Thomas had hit mine, that is clear. But my choice of words was regrettable, not because I do not believe Justice Thomas is deeply wrong, but because they were ad hominem and uncivil, and for that I am sorry.

I often ask fans to keep the level of discourse on this page and in comments high, and to remember that we all love this country and for what it stands for, even if we often disagree passionately about how to achieve those goals. I did not live up to my own high standards in this instance.

I hope all of you have a wonderful, safe and joyously free July 4t, the first where all married couples in the U.S. can enjoy the full liberties of matrimony equally. It is truly a blessing to be an American today.

First of all Mr. Takei, you're an idiot. Justice Thomas did not say what your idiotic mind thinks he said, that's the problem here. He didn't say slavery and internment were dignified. He is making the argument that humans have dignity as humans and it can't be taken by man. Sir, do you not believe your parents had dignity?

Save your platitude bullshit, you don't love this country. In fact, you loathe more than half of this country who disagree with you on same sex marriage and you seek ways to attack and denigrate them for what they believe and stand for. You got heat because your abject bigotry slipped out whilst running your stupid mouth about something you were incapable of understanding. Now you're having to issue a public apology because deep down, you're a whore. You'll only stand on your principles as long as it doesn't effect your income.

By "everyone" - I assume you mean NaziCons.

By everyone, I mean everyone who isn't a shitbag liberal that swallows everything their propaganda machine spews out.

Takei makes an egregious racial slur, THEN doubles down on it in his alleged attempt to "explain" it, and it's THOMAS who's the disgrace?

As for "Anita Hill tried to warn us", perhaps she'd have been more effective had she not lied while doing so. I realize this is a concept that rarely occurs to leftists.

Yea, there's SO many ways calling a black man a clown in black face can be taken

I loved his explanation about "sometimes in the theater". Yeah, show business stopped using blackface decades ago precisely because it was an offensively racist thing. Someone should have sent Mr. Takei the memo on that one.

You guys don't get it.
Liberals can never be racist. No matter how racist they may be.
He is a gay liberal. Which gives him double immunity.

It was actually kinda funny, how shocked he seemed to be that he was actually taking flak for what he said, just as if he DID think he had immunity.

A few things to consider....

Yes, Takei should NOT have brought out race....but Thomas is both a clown and a puppet of Scalia's will.

Secondly, to condemn both Takei AND Trump is a silly comparison, since Takei is not running for anything but a stupid opiner

Third, gays and lesbians should just take the "win" and move on.

Yes, but you had to know they weren't going to.

There are two really good ways to tell what sort of person someone is: whether or not he's a gracious loser . . . and whether or not he's a gracious winner.

I think the left in general, and Mr. Takei in particular, have conclusively proven that they might BE characters, but they don't HAVE much character.

Forum List

Back