George H.W. Bush leaves mixed record on race, civil rights

Folks aren't just focusing on whatever good a public person does these days when they pass, they look at the totality.

As for me, my mother always told me that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all.

You're mother's nicer than I am. Sadly, my memory is still really good.

That's PAUL MANAFORT to the left, ROGER STONE in the middle. LEE ATWATER, the Willie Horton guru to the right. Birds of racist feather
flock together?

Circa 1985

43e.jpg

Folks aren't just focusing on whatever good a public person does these days when they pass, they look at the totality.

As for me, my mother always told me that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all.
Don't you think people are going overboard because they are taking jabs at Trump.

The preacher used these words today:

Integrity
Kindness
Heroism
Courage
Excellance
Service
Intellect
Humility
Civility
Spirituality

Every single one was a slap in the face to Trump.

How do I know? Trump is the biggest narcissist in the world. He assumes, without a second thought, that every word spoke and every thought is about him. And he knows that not one of those words applies to him.

That we can agree with. George W. Bush must be jumping up and down, still. "I am not the worse."

He was pandering to the white racist constituency of that time necessary for the purpose of getting elected the same way democrats pander to black racists today for the same objective of getting elected.
Can you name an example of Democratic pandering to racists that rivals Bush's Willie Horton add?
images

George H.W. Bush’s "Willie Horton" ad will always be the reference point for dog-whistle racism

"As news of Bush Sr.’s death broke Saturday morning, 'Willie Horton' began trending on Twitter, with some calling it 'proto-Trumpism.'

"In fact, the name has become such an effective shorthand that most tweets are simply letting it stand for itself.

"The revival of 'Willie Horton' tactics
Dog-whistle appeals never truly went away, but they have risen in pitch in recent years, particularly since Trump entered the political arena."

"And with each racist political attack, comparisons are inevitably drawn to Bush’s 1988 campaign ad."

Probably the worst thing Bush did for civil rights was the Americans With Disabilities Act. It actually discouraged employers from hiring the disabled, because once you hired them, you could never get rid of them.

He was pandering to the white racist constituency of that time necessary for the purpose of getting elected the same way democrats pander to black racists today for the same objective of getting elected.
Can you name an example of Democratic pandering to racists that rivals Bush's Willie Horton add?
images

George H.W. Bush’s "Willie Horton" ad will always be the reference point for dog-whistle racism

"As news of Bush Sr.’s death broke Saturday morning, 'Willie Horton' began trending on Twitter, with some calling it 'proto-Trumpism.'

"In fact, the name has become such an effective shorthand that most tweets are simply letting it stand for itself.

Dog-whistle appeals never truly went away, but they have risen in pitch in recent years, particularly since Trump entered the political arena."

"And with each racist political attack, comparisons are inevitably drawn to Bush’s 1988 campaign ad."
What’s your point? Are you trying to qualify racism?

images

What’s your point? Are you trying to qualify racism?
I'm unsure what you mean by "qualify racism"?

My point is Bush and other Republicans find Lee Atwater's "Southern Strategy" very useful in elections:

Lee Atwater - Wikipedia

"Atwater: Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, '******, ******, ******'. By 1968 you can't say '******'—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that.

"But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other.

"You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, 'We want to cut this', is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than '******, ******'.[11]"

All Presidents are a mixed bag at best. It's a tough job.

The world is complicated. Life is complicated. Shit happens.

Most of them have been decent people.
Most of them have been fascist scumbags but you're too stupid to know the definition of fascism

Early in George H.W. Bush’s political career, when he was running for a U.S. Senate seat in Texas, he came out against the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, deriding his opponent as “radical” for supporting the bill that ended segregation in public places and banned employment discrimination.

“The new civil-rights act was passed to protect 14 percent of the people,” he said. “I’m also worried about the other 86 percent.”

The stand seemed at odds with his family’s long history of supporting civil rights (his father, Prescott Bush, a Connecticut senator had worked to desegregate schools and protect voting rights) and with his own work raising money for the United Negro College Fund.

But in Texas, where the Republican party was steadily becoming more conservative and embracing the Southern Strategy of appealing to white voters, Bush’s position made sense.
He was right back in his early days then.

36063041_2186467024923202_8526170841803653120_n.jpg

Forum List

Back