'Generation Wuss'

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Yoots today especially at the top end of the economic spectrum fit this perfectly.

by Bret Easton Ellis

'In his books, he used to shoot at the materialistic excesses of his generation. But today, youth has become Bret Easton Ellis' favorite target. According to him, young people are just too sensitive, too narcissistic ,too stupid. But ultimately, as he explains in this exclusive text, he kind of feel sorry for them ( and they love it !).'

"I have been living with someone from the Millennial generation for the last four years (he’s now 27) and sometimes I’m charmed and sometimes I’m exasperated by how him and his friends — as well as the Millennials I’ve met and interacted with both in person and in social media—deal with the world, and I’ve tweeted about my amusement and frustration under the banner “Generation Wuss” for a few years now. My huge generalities touch on their over-sensitivity, their insistence that they are right despite the overwhelming proof that suggests they are not, their lack of placing things within context, the overreacting, the passive-aggressive positivity, and, of course, all of this exacerbated by the meds they’ve been fed since childhood by over-protective “helicopter” parents mapping their every move."

Generation Wuss by Bret Easton Ellis Vanity Fair

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

Yoots today especially at the top end of the economic spectrum fit this perfectly.

by Bret Easton Ellis

'In his books, he used to shoot at the materialistic excesses of his generation. But today, youth has become Bret Easton Ellis' favorite target. According to him, young people are just too sensitive, too narcissistic ,too stupid. But ultimately, as he explains in this exclusive text, he kind of feel sorry for them ( and they love it !).'

"I have been living with someone from the Millennial generation for the last four years (he’s now 27) and sometimes I’m charmed and sometimes I’m exasperated by how him and his friends — as well as the Millennials I’ve met and interacted with both in person and in social media—deal with the world, and I’ve tweeted about my amusement and frustration under the banner “Generation Wuss” for a few years now. My huge generalities touch on their over-sensitivity, their insistence that they are right despite the overwhelming proof that suggests they are not, their lack of placing things within context, the overreacting, the passive-aggressive positivity, and, of course, all of this exacerbated by the meds they’ve been fed since childhood by over-protective “helicopter” parents mapping their every move."

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'
75% of them are mentally, morally or physically unfit for military service.

That says a lot about the Millennials.

Don't ask for the link, I've posted it dozens of times.

Should have saved it, most people do not believe; I was sceptical when I first read it too.

SAD!

I've heard talk down to the younger generation since I was a kid...Why is it necessary?
I think this time it is necessary.

Basically, most of them are useless and will never support themselves.
I made mine go to work with me starting at 9.....Then at 18 gave them the three choices I gave myself, job, military, college....but you know, before game consoles, the world was more exciting...

Can't disagree that the talks about the youth being spoiled and not smart enough have existed since the beginning of times.
And I regret to say that I have the same feeling when I have a chance to interact with the young people.
On the other hand, there are quite a lot of smart and praiseworthy young ladies and gentlemen that were a great pleasure to talk to. But unfortunately, there don't make the majority...
I ask myself, if it is because the country does not need brilliant youngsters to serve it and does everything it can to make them just... average?

Re: OP

I take you are British or (?) from your spelling. Interesting as I usual associate your type of thinking with upper class Americans, libertarians, and others who live in a kind of narcissistic place. The central point you seem to make is 'jeez there are boundaries for behavior and I don't like them.' Childish thinking as law is essential in any society for more than just not hurting each other. The anarchistic tilt of modern children is fascinating, life started recently and the millions of deaths and destruction and cruelty of the past thousands of years really didn't happen. If only there were no laws, we'd all sing kumbaya together. Read some history some time. Actually open your eyes, look to places in the world where order and law don't exist. Move to Mexico and tell the drug lords your philosophy. I'm sure they'd agree.

And the comment that theocracy is similar to liberalism is totally off the wall. Freedom is not theocratic. This is simply the biased nonsense of far right agitprop, that anyone can even claim it demonstrates an isolated view of the world and ideas.

Generation Wuss US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

And for the open minded reader, must reads. Start with the civilization books.

Morality, enter with caution: 'Persons And Reasons' Derek Parfit
Civilization: 'A History of Civilizations' Fernand Braudel and 'The Unconscious Civilization' John Ralston Saul

Ideas: 'The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20Th Century' Peter Watson
Modern world: 'Ill Fares the Land' Tony Judt

'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark' Carl Sagan
'Becoming Evil: How Ordinary People Commit Genocide and Mass Killing' James Waller
'Science and Human Values' Jacob Bronowski

My oldest Millennial just passed the NY Bar Exam and my youngest is in Medical School. They both, and many of their friends have finally come to realize that Obama is a total fuck-up and Progressive economic "Thought" leaves a lot to be desired

by Bret Easton Ellis

75% of them are mentally, morally or physically unfit for military service.

That says a lot about the Millennials.

Don't ask for the link, I've posted it dozens of times.

Should have saved it, most people do not believe; I was sceptical when I first read it too.

SAD!

I find that amusing. A large portion of the men I served with were there because they were given a choice of jail or military service.

Take a look at what's happened in our society. The "women's movement" made what you see today possible by throwing the father out of the home and turning his sons against him. This halved the family wealth by requiring two residences (dad usually ended up in an apartment plus paying alimony and child support so he was pretty much broke and broken). You have to also remember the stalinists had taken over the public schools by the mid-80's....the whole democrap agenda being fed to the mushheads. Guns=bad. Blacks=sex with white girls. Free enterprise=swear words. Was anybody surprised when the "Che" tshirts started appearing during Slime Willy's reign of treason? :eusa_eh:

by Bret Easton Ellis

Judge-Chamberlain-Haller-from-My-Cousin-Vinny.jpg

"What's a yoot?" ;)

Take a look at what's happened in our society. The "women's movement" made what you see today possible by throwing the father out of the home and turning his sons against him. This halved the family wealth by requiring two residences (dad usually ended up in an apartment plus paying alimony and child support so he was pretty much broke and broken). You have to also remember the stalinists had taken over the public schools by the mid-80's....the whole democrap agenda being fed to the mushheads. Guns=bad. Blacks=sex with white girls. Free enterprise=swear words. Was anybody surprised when the "Che" tshirts started appearing during Slime Willy's reign of treason? :eusa_eh:

Let me quote Bill Gates for you as a response to the "women's movement" you hate:

During a conference in Saudi Arabia, toward the end in the question-and-answer session, a member of the audience noted that Saudi Arabia aimed to be one of the Top 10 countries in the world in technology by 2010 and asked if that was realistic. “Well, if you’re not fully utilizing half the talent in the country,” Gates said, “you’re not going to get too close to the Top 10.”

Let me quote Bill Gates for you as a response to the "women's movement" you hate:

During a conference in Saudi Arabia, toward the end in the question-and-answer session, a member of the audience noted that Saudi Arabia aimed to be one of the Top 10 countries in the world in technology by 2010 and asked if that was realistic. “Well, if you’re not fully utilizing half the talent in the country,” Gates said, “you’re not going to get too close to the Top 10.”

Believing anything Gates says will lead you into a lamp post. He was a pirate during his business career...probably on the level of Jay Gould, Fisk, and rest of the robber barons. Now that his wife is running his life (and his money) he's a shadow of the man he once was. Do I "hate" the women's movement.....nah, just hate what it did to a prosperous and powerful America.

by Bret Easton Ellis

Thanks for the head's up.

I have got to get that book.

Bret Easton Ellis is one of my favorite writers. :thup:

Forum List

Back