Gene Wilder RIP!

Judicial review

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
Columbus Ohio
Just kidding. I just wanted to use him as an example of how movies changed and why great actors like him did so few films. He did 18 by the way. Only 18. Pretty damn successful for only 18.

This guy was asked in the video I'll post below why he did so few films - His answer was all the movies turned into all this swearing and nasty stuff. The lack of dialog or discussion. When i heard that and I'm a huge movie buff, as I've seen them all, he has a great point. The movies from the moment there was sound till the 80's there was lots of dialog in movies. That's why most of the greatest movies ever made or ones that crack everybody's top 20-50 lists all have dialog. What the hell happened to the movie industry?

By the way Gene Wilder hates Hollywood but said back in the 70's that if a movie ever came along like that that he would have auditioned for the part. He said it never came along. Enjoy this interview and Watch the Gene Wilder version of Wily Wanka it's probably the top underdog to riches inspirational movie ever created. Gene said he gets 4-5 letters a day from people in their teens, 20's and 30's thanking him for his role in that movie and signature request.

I had seen this interview before, and agreed with him to a certain point but it's not always the case with newer movies. There are movies still being released with great dialog, even if that dialog involves swearing. Every generation tends to look back nostalgically and say, "They just don't make (blank) like they used to." I'm only 30 years old, and I'm guilty of the same thing.

Just kidding. I just wanted to use him as an example of how movies changed and why great actors like him did so few films. He did 18 by the way. Only 18. Pretty damn successful for only 18.

This guy was asked in the video I'll post below why he did so few films - His answer was all the movies turned into all this swearing and nasty stuff. The lack of dialog or discussion. When i heard that and I'm a huge movie buff, as I've seen them all, he has a great point. The movies from the moment there was sound till the 80's there was lots of dialog in movies. That's why most of the greatest movies ever made or ones that crack everybody's top 20-50 lists all have dialog. What the hell happened to the movie industry?

By the way Gene Wilder hates Hollywood but said back in the 70's that if a movie ever came along like that that he would have auditioned for the part. He said it never came along. Enjoy this interview and Watch the Gene Wilder version of Wily Wanka it's probably the top underdog to riches inspirational movie ever created. Gene said he gets 4-5 letters a day from people in their teens, 20's and 30's thanking him for his role in that movie and signature request.

I enjoyed that video very much. Thank you.

• Banned

I enjoyed that video very much. Thank you.

Its really my honor. I mean that sincerely. Gene Wilder in Wily Wonks touched my heart during some really and I mean really bad scary times and every time I watch that movie to this scene no matter how old I get I'm Instantly happy and hopeful, Enjoy!

A poor hurting kid with nothing

TO

Wonka - "Charlie, remember what hapend to the man who got everything he ever wanted"

Charlie - "What's that?"

Wonka - "He lived haply ever after."

Hug.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I had seen this interview before, and agreed with him to a certain point but it's not always the case with newer movies. There are movies still being released with great dialog, even if that dialog involves swearing. Every generation tends to look back nostalgically and say, "They just don't make (blank) like they used to." I'm only 30 years old, and I'm guilty of the same thing.

Wrong. Pee your pants funny Gene and Mel Brooks proved that you can acheive that with zero swearing. In blazing saddles they even had blacks laughing even though they said 75% of the niggr word.

They haven't made a movie that funny since hot shots and airplane!. Those happen to be the funniest comedy's of all time.

Wrong. Pee your pants funny Gene and Mel Brooks proved that you can acheive that with zero swearing. In blazing saddles they even had blacks laughing even though they said 75% of the niggr word.

They haven't made a movie that funny since hot shots and airplane!. Those happen to be the funniest comedy's of all time.

Where did I say you couldn't make a funny movie without swearing? And as far as Mel Brooks movies go, they could be as raunchy as any movie created in the past 10 years. Their lack of curse words doesn't change that.

Where did I say you couldn't make a funny movie without swearing? And as far as Mel Brooks movies go, they could be as raunchy as any movie created in the past 10 years. Their lack of curse words doesn't change that.

You can't compare any comedy created in the last decade to the comedy's of the 70's, period. The ones in the 70's were pee my pants funny, and the current ones make you laugh and then forget it.

You are an ass for saying someone died when they didn't. Just kidding. No I am not.

You are an ass for saying someone died when they didn't. Just kidding. No I am not.

Got you in here didn't I? Let me ask you a question... So you are not happy that Gene Wilder is alive? You sound like a dick. Just sayin... Just sayin...

The Right is ashamed of what they stand for.:badgrin:

We should have a "Things Nobody Gives a Shit About" forum.

You cared enough to come in and post. Hypocrite. You have a weirdness about you that I like, though. Yeah, I figured it out! You're a smartass :)

Ahhh...yes, like most other posters here, I love Wilder. What was the movie where he played the 19th century rabbi traveling west to San Francisco? Funny as hell.

The Right is ashamed of what they stand for.:badgrin:

We should have a "Things Nobody Gives a Shit About" forum.

You cared enough to come in and post. Hypocrite. You have a weirdness about you that I like, though. Yeah, I figured it out! You're a smartass :)

Ahhh...yes, like most other posters here, I love Wilder. What was the movie where he played the 19th century rabbi traveling west to San Francisco? Funny as hell.

The Frisco Kid

Wilder did 27 movies, five of those were TV movies. He also starred in one TV series and appeared in several others.

Would he have been successful with his given name of Jerome Silberman? Who knows why Jewish actors shed their Jewish identity for Anglo names. Wilder's wife Gilda Radner died of ovarian cancer in 1987.

Forum List

Back