Gaza's Other War

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
humane treatment of the IDF's unenviable dual responsibilities this week...

http://www.slate.com/id/2124388/?nav=tap3

Gaza's Other War
How do you train Israeli soldiers to fight Israelis?
By Rebecca Sinderbrand
Posted Friday, Aug. 12, 2005, at 2:55 AM PT

Preparing for pullout

"You killed him!" screamed the red-faced woman, wailing over her husband's apparently lifeless body. The couple was being removed from their home by Israeli troops carrying out the Sharon government's Gaza disengagement plan when the man was felled by a heart attack. A group of solemn-faced soldiers from the IDF's Ofek unit stood a few feet away, apparently unsure what to do next, as the man's hysterical family surrounded the stretcher carrying his corpse.

A few moments later, the dead man had an unscheduled resurrection, swatting at a swarm of flies collecting on his face. "It's a miracle!" cried his wife, without missing a beat; the paramedics hovering over the settler, and most of the sweat-soaked soldiers nearby, cracked up. It was six hours into the IDF's final dry run before disengagement, and most of those present were eager for a little relief. But not everyone was laughing. One pale-faced female soldier sitting on the grass nearby shook her head. "They can play like this is a game now," she said. "They know it's not real. They know it won't be so funny next week."

In a few days, practice time will be over for Ofek, part of the first wave sweeping into the settlement bloc of Gush Katif. Nobody seems to know for sure precisely what sort of greeting they'll get. Over the past few days, residents have begun melting away from the Jewish settlements in northern Gaza; the towns that were supposed to be the unit's first stops are mostly empty. Either settler resolve is cracking—or the 9,000 who remain are the hard-core base that will resist to the end.

Continue Article @ LINK

NATO AIR said:
humane treatment of the IDF's unenviable dual responsibilities this week...

I think the IDF will do their job, just not sure it's the right job or the right time.

Kathianne said:
I think the IDF will do their job, just not sure it's the right job or the right time.

Yea, a few kids I knew from Miami who are Israeli citizens are now in the IDF. The e-mails I have gotten from them are fraught with worry, uncertainity and doubt. What worries me is that, having dealt with the settlers, they realize violence could very well happen against them or others. They are dealing with religious zealots of the second order, one step behind the suicide bombers and terrorists of Islam.

NATO AIR said:
Yea, a few kids I knew from Miami who are Israeli citizens are now in the IDF. The e-mails I have gotten from them are fraught with worry, uncertainity and doubt. What worries me is that, having dealt with the settlers, they realize violence could very well happen against them or others. They are dealing with religious zealots of the second order, one step behind the suicide bombers and terrorists of Islam.

Not a joke. There will probably be Jewish extremists-though I'd be surprised if they would kill IDF. On the other hand, I would guess a given that Hamas and others will also be around...

Kathianne said:
Not a joke. There will probably be Jewish extremists-though I'd be surprised if they would kill IDF. On the other hand, I would guess a given that Hamas and others will also be around...

As one disgusting Pakistani remarked yesterday in a bar when the coverage about Gaza was on, "hamas,fatah and islamic jihad can rest this week, the jews will be doing Allah's work for us"

NATO AIR said:
As one disgusting Pakistani remarked yesterday in a bar when the coverage about Gaza was on, "hamas,fatah and islamic jihad can rest this week, the jews will be doing Allah's work for us"
Tried to rep, this is the case, exactly.

Kathianne said:
Tried to rep, this is the case, exactly.

i held my tongue mostly because i was with female company, but i appreciated how she (a hindu) reproached him for his remark, then took it a step further and threw in some indian pride, "That is why we will be one of the great nations of the world and pakistan will be a backwater nightmare with nuclear weapons, IDIOT!"

People often forget that the bloodiest, worst fighting in the Islamic world in modern history was not in Sudan, Algeria or Iraq, but Kashmir... the muslims vs. the hindus in a bloody tit for tat campaign that continues on a smaller scale now but could erupt into something horrific at any time.

NATO AIR said:
i held my tongue mostly because i was with female company, but i appreciated how she (a hindu) reproached him for his remark, then took it a step further and threw in some indian pride, "That is why we will be one of the great nations of the world and pakistan will be a backwater nightmare with nuclear weapons, IDIOT!"

People often forget that the bloodiest, worst fighting in the Islamic world in modern history was not in Sudan, Algeria or Iraq, but Kashmir... the muslims vs. the hindus in a bloody tit for tat campaign that continues on a smaller scale now but could erupt into something horrific at any time.

Not a joke. I am ever surprised at India's tolerance of 'modern' Pakistan. I guess there is no choice.

Kathianne said:
Not a joke. I am ever surprised at India's tolerance of 'modern' Pakistan. I guess there is no choice.

Yea no choice with nukes involved. I feel sorry for the Indians, the Pakistanis are a 100 ton ball and chain tied to their leg no matter how high they climb, almost like a perverse mirror image of China's Taiwan problem.

NATO AIR said:
Yea no choice with nukes involved. I feel sorry for the Indians, the Pakistanis are a 100 ton ball and chain tied to their leg no matter how high they climb, almost like a perverse mirror image of China's Taiwan problem.

If Pakistan was Taiwan, I think India would have dealt with. Pakistan is too large and too Muslim.

Forum List

Back