Gas Stove vs Electric Stove

Same here. Last summer I installed a new gas wall furnace in a building on our property. Running gas line and installing a gas appliance is sort of like handing firearms. You operate under the assumption that every connection you make leaks. Checking every single connection, every single time. I also prefer pipe dope to teflon also.
On gas lines you arent allowed to use teflon. That is for water connections only.

Another common mistake people make is applying Teflon tape to the connection to get to the seal. Actually the tape will cause a leak and typically not prevent a leak. When tape is applied to the CGA nut, it prevents the nose of the bullet-nose CGA to fully contact the mating surface inside the cylinder valve.

The “Do’s and Don’ts” of CGA Cylinder Connections

www.airgas.com/resources/cleanpeaks/2017/winter/cylinder-connections

Monoxide poisoning is almost unheard of anymore. They have to be using stuff so old that it's a miracle it even worked to begin with.

And even an electric radiator too close to combustible materials catch fire.

Most gas appliances have no open flame in living areas. And there's sensors that shut down the system if there's any gas buildup. So you can't get the explosion the OP is talking about.

It's getting to the point you can't light a cigarette off a gas stove anymore.
You can on my new wolf stove. But no one smokes in my house, or will in my house for that fact.

I think people should get an electric stove when looking for a home. Gas stoves are too dangerous because I have seen too many homes explode because of a gas line leak in the national news. The victims of a gas line explosion have severe burns and it is extremely painful.
could you post links to some of those many homes you saw explode??

and dont post links to ones youve read about but to those as you said youve seen,,

Why would i do that?

You're just some anonymous person on the internet. I'd be a fool to take your word for anything.

That you can't prove your own assertions is even more reason not to take your word.
this is from the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)

How common are natural gas explosions?​

Across the U.S. there are about 286 serious natural gas explosions per year—the type that cause over $50,000 worth of damage, severe injury, or loss of life. Between 1998 and 2017, 15 people per year on average died in incidents related to gas distribution in the U.S.......it also said much of this was from old worn lines to old structures or faulty home appliances.....the newer houses and buildings and those being built should be pretty safe.......

Across the U.S. there are about 286 serious natural gas explosions per year—the type that cause over $50,000 worth of damage, severe injury, or loss of life. Between 1998 and 2017, 15 people per year on average died in incidents related to gas distribution in the U.S.......it also said much of this was from old worn lines to old structures or faulty home appliances.....the newer houses and buildings and those being built should be pretty safe.......
Its even fewer than I thought. Out of the 170 million single family homes in the US that's not even a significant number.

How often do you end up buying new gas?
With a 5 burner gas convection oven and I cook alot. I filled my 60# tank once a year, 30 gallons give or take a couple.

New home has an induction electric and I'm very happy with it. Heat is more like cooking with gas, which I always preferred.

With a 5 burner gas convection oven and I cook alot. I filled my 60# tank once a year, 30 gallons give or take a couple.

New home has an induction electric and I'm very happy with it. Heat is more like cooking with gas, which I always preferred.
I've heard too many horror stories about the induction stoves...those things make me nervous. Just saying.

On gas lines you arent allowed to use teflon. That is for water connections only.

Another common mistake people make is applying Teflon tape to the connection to get to the seal. Actually the tape will cause a leak and typically not prevent a leak. When tape is applied to the CGA nut, it prevents the nose of the bullet-nose CGA to fully contact the mating surface inside the cylinder valve.

This is for the pressurized tank connections like those for welding gases and etc...

Natural gas and propane operate at much much lower pressures. Like 7-10psi Max.

Those welding tanks have like 2,000 psi and operate at usually double the pressure.

There is more than one type of tape and the stuff I've used isn't Teflon...I'm drawing a blank today on it's name but it's specially formulated for natural gas. It's not white but pink or yellow (I can't remember)

But I've used it for the connections I've made over the decades and never had a leak...not once. Even decades later.

And those new laws concerning small engines are going to be problematic when the power goes out...

Gas powered chainsaws are essential during ice storms. Just saying...
Recently bought an inverter generator for our camper.
When I was comparing them online, I think they all stated not available in CA.
WTF?

The yellow Teflon is for gas, the white or pink (better) is for water.
I was mainly referring to the pipe to pipe connections not the pipe to appliance connection.

Yet - annually electrical fires cause $1.4bn in property damage and kill over 550 people every year.

In a nutshell... gas is very-very-very safe as long as
a) the appliances are not decrepit and egregiously under maintained.
b) the installer is not a moron or a diy'er thinks since he has done water plumbing - he can do gas plumbing and not knowing they are quite different.
c) a home inspector does even a basic job of inspecting appliances when you are buying a home.

Recently bought an inverter generator for our camper.
When I was comparing them online, I think they all stated not available in CA.
WTF?
I know right? You would think that I was making a joke with the small engine thing.

I really wasn't.

But housing got so tight and expensive in CA that people turned to living in campers in campgrounds...and there weren't any spaces there available. And of course they don't supply electricity in many of those campgrounds for every campsite...so people were using their own generators. And some Greenie wienie began to go ape over it. Didn't like the noise. They have true whisper systems...but those are more expensive.

Forum List

Back