Septic Tanks vs Sewer System

Rodimus

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2021
When looking for a home, make sure it is connected to a sewer system and not a septic tank. Septic tanks get backed up on a regular basis and you will not be able to use your toilet.

I disagree that septic tanks are prone to back up

but thanks to pinhead enviro nuts in government they are more expensive to maintain than most city sewer systems charge for service

i disagree.
I've lived in semi-rural areas where there was no connection to a public sewer system and never had a problem with a backed-up septic tank. If properly installed and the field lines are laid down unobstructed, they'd back up on rare occasions where you had flooding rains for an extraordinary time.
Short of that, having them pumped out every 3-5 years is the only maintenance they need. You can get by with longer periods if you're disciplined about what you allow to go down the drain in the kitchen. Most problems come from too many oils or animal fats being drained into the tank.

No they don't.

You have to get your septic tank pumped regularly and the cost is far less than your annual water and sewer bill.
the toal accumalated cost of maintaining a septic tank is much more expensive than a sewer bill.

I disagree that septic tanks are prone to back up

but thanks to pinhead enviro nuts in government they are more expensive to maintain than most city sewer systems charge for service

Not around me/

I pay less than $150 for a septic pump out every other year

I've lived in semi-rural areas where there was no connection to a public sewer system and never had a problem with a backed-up septic tank. If properly installed and the field lines are laid down unobstructed, they'd back up on rare occasions where you had flooding rains for an extraordinary time.
Short of that, having them pumped out every 3-5 years is the only maintenance they need. You can get by with longer periods if you're disciplined about what you allow to go down the drain in the kitchen. Most problems come from too many oils or animal fats being drained into the tank.
thank you for your perspective on this topic. i have had both a septic tank and sewer system. i had regular problems with the septic tank and no problems with the sewer system.

Not around me/

I pay less than $150 for a septic pump out every other year
Most cities charge about $5 a month for sewer service

Thats $120 over two years

But with septics that were installed less than 30 years ago thats not the only expense

septic tanks have to be inspected by government regulation 3-4 times a year

cost $75-100

then things such as air pumps and float valve break and need to be replaced

Most cities charge about $5 a month for sewer service

Thats $120 over two years

But with septics that were installed less than 30 years ago thats not the only expense

septic tanks have to be inspected by government regulation 3-4 times a year

cost $75-100

then things such as air pumps and float valve break and need to be replaced
Where do you live that a septic tank is
inspected by the government? 4 times a year?

When you get it pumped the tank is serviced if it needs to be

I have had a septic tank for every home I have lived in for the past 20 years and never once had to have the government inspect at any time never mind 4 times a year.

And if you have sewer service you probably have town water as well and the average water/sewer bill in the US is about 1200

Forum List

Back